Redington CT (Classic Trout)

BigCliff

Reaction score
Sometimes a compromise isn't about settling for the middle ground, its choosing what's best overall. Going to extremes may be more exciting than picking the safe choice, but its frequently foolish and unnecessary. Incredibly specialized tools may be engineering marvels, but the more practical ones are used more frequently and thus accomplish more.

I've fished the 8'6" 5wt version of Redington's new fly rod a few times now, and it really fits the mold of a practical work-horse. Its not a parking lot rod that will easily lay the whole line out there and wow the crowd. That's a good thing, as those rods don't do well at most types of trout fishing. This rod excels at short precise casts, mends, roll casting, and all the trick casts that need a little more "feel" in the rod.

Its definitely a medium action rod. If you're used to an XP, a GLX, or something similar, you're going to have to slow down and pay attention to what the rod is telling you. Once you've got the feel down, you'll be able to throw wide loops when needed and to tighten up your loops when needing to throw longer distances, or to throw into the wind. Mends surprised me with their ease at first, even slightly easier than with my Sage 490 LL. The rod lacks the "oomph" in the butt section of the LL, but I was still able to throw 65' pretty easily. The rod will bend substantially when fighting a fish, and may not have the authority over a hooked fish that a burlier rod might, but it will protect light tippets better.

The build quality and accessories are impressive as well. I suppose the reel seat insert is the equivalent of Pergo, but its not plain metal or plastic, looks sharp, and undeniably lends to a more "classic" feel than would a woven graphite insert. The metal parts are quite nice as well, and function very precisely. The guide wraps and epoxy work leaves no nits to pick, and the cork is as fine as I've seen on any rod under $300. My only beef is that the top edge of the cork is squared off and I'd prefer it be rounded a bit. The sock and tube are also top tier amongst the sub $300 rod crowd.

So far I've caught no trout on this rod, but that matters not. My local rivers in the Texas Hill Country are basically trout streams that happen to be full of fish that can survive really hot summers. I've fished carefully presented dry flies, swung streamers, spey casted wets, and thrown poppers into tight spots, and its done it all well. Fly weights have ranged from small foam ants to size 6 conehead buggers. Its already landed over 60 fish, and that's what it does well: not waggle in a rod-shoppers hand, or fling 30 yards of string, but present flies and catch fish.

And I think you'll find none that do that better at its price- $149

These folks have a full selection, ship quickly, and will take good care of you- The North American Fly Fishing Forum Fishing Tackle Store

Last edited:

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Thanks for the review, Cliff. When the Nor Cal Farbank rep showed me the CT last fall, I knew that Redington had a winner. It's amazing that Redington has a true moderate action rod at that price point. One of the Sage pro staff guides keeps a 9 foot 5 weight CT rigged up on his boat as his dry fly rod.

MP

BigCliff

Reaction score
It really is an amazing rod for the money. I think any that like the feel of a Scott G or a Winston (WT or LT) should give it a shot. The 7.5' 3wt is likely a hell of a small stream rod too.

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for this review Big...looks like a rod I would enjoy fishing with:)I'm a bit old ....school:D
MP hope you'll post pics of your girlfriend testing her new rod;)

Pocono

Reaction score
Yup, just what I was thinking, too, Frank.

But, I'm probably going to pick one up; maybe two. Cliff gave a pitch on a small stream rod and that's where I spend most of my time. So, I think I may head for a 5 wt. and a 3 wt. I can't believe the price; particularly is this rod is a good as everyone says it is.

Thanks for the review Cliff; good even coverage.

Pocono

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
I just gave my girlfriend her birthday present - a 7'6" 3 weight CT with a Drift 2/3 reel. Loaded with line, the combination balances nicely.

I will post a separate review after I get my round with it... if she lets me.

MP

alcorn

Reaction score
Good review. The CT is a great rod. I have the 9' 5wt and have used it as my main rod this season. Love it for my all around rod

stasher1

Reaction score
Have you ever used a standard production rod that felt like it was made specifically for you? That's the way my 8'6" 5wt Redington CT feels in my hand. It has a nice mod/mod-fast action that perfectly matches my natural casting rhythm.

I actually like this rod so much that I have sold all of my other fly rods and replaced them with Redingtons. My "collection" now consists of a 7'6" 3wt CT, 8'6" 5wt CT, and a 7'10" 6wt Predator. :)

Pocono

Reaction score
I purchased one for my wife; an 8'6" 5 wt. Unfortunately, it's heavier than her similarly sized BIIx, looks to me like it's more difficult for her to cast and, so far, it hasn't seen much water time. Probably not a fair comparison.

stasher1

Reaction score
Surprisingly, there's only .075 oz difference between the two rods. Her casting difficulty with the CT is most likely the result of the difference between the fast-action of the BIIx and the more mod/mod-fast action of the CT.

FrankB2

Reaction score
That's the manufacturer's stated weight. I've owned rods that had identical weights, but one felt heavier than the other. Even more surprising was that the top half of both rods were exactly the same weight! The rod that felt lighter had a faster action than the other, however. ;)

Pocono

Reaction score
Surprisingly, there's only .075 oz difference between the two rods. Her casting difficulty with the CT is most likely the result of the difference between the fast-action of the BIIx and the more mod/mod-fast action of the CT.
I think you're probably right. Her casting stroke is very quick and probably the only blanks that can keep up with her natural rhythm are those that are fast action. Having said that, she doesn't like my Sage A-axis at all.

mrbrownliner

Reaction score
I have the 9' 5 wt. and I have been very happy with it. It is a perfect all around trout rod for here in PA and a fantastic choice for panfish and creek smallies.

I am still shocked at how much rod it is for the money....

dusty h

Reaction score
Does the CT have a lifetime warranty like some of the other redington's do? If so, how does their warranty stack up against the likes of someone like TFO?

BigCliff

Reaction score
Per the specific terminology on their website, it sounds like they're much pickier about what sorts of breakage they cover than TFO is:

Redington's site-
Every new Redington rod purchased through an authorized retailer, with the exception of the Crosswater Series, is covered by our lifetime, original owner warranty. Crosswater Rods are covered by a one-year warranty against defects in materials or workmanship and must include a dated proof of purchase.

This warranty is limited to repair or replacement of the rod only, and does not cover direct, indirect, consequential, incidental or any other type of damage resulting from the use of the product. This warranty does not cover misuse, neglect, normal wear, fire, theft, loss, or intentional damage. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights that vary from state to state.

Redington reserves the right to determine whether to repair or replace any Redington Product covered by this warranty and the right to replace any discontinued models with the newer models when necessary. Colors may vary between original and replacement parts.
But I have no direct experience with their warranty department, so I can't shed light on how they actually treat car door/ceiling fan/split shot breakages.

mikel

Reaction score
Redington is pretty good on its warranties. Every rod that I have sent back to Redington has been either repaired or replaced.

MP
Definitely agree on the Redington warrantee service. I've had them replace 3 rods over the years and they were all back in 10 days or less. When I sent them my old RS2 they sent me an RS4 as a replacement, including new tube/sock. Think the cost was $30 at that time. -Mike