The Finest Reels you can Ill Afford NOT to buy

dougm

Reaction score
Fly Fishing with Doug Macnair:
A Product Update©
The Finest Fly Reels you can Ill Afford
Not to Buy – “The 100 Series”

Doug Macnair

I’ll bet you’ve never read an article that began with a title like this. I’ll also bet that few of us can think of much, if anything, we can ill afford not to buy … that is, unless you are a dedicated fisher of flies who stumbles across a new gadget. Most of you familiar with my work know that I am not given to making outlandish statements. For me to make such a statement means something special has come along … and indeed it has!

Up front, I’m going to give you the secret codes that subsequently will be required to open the site of the 100 Series. You may select any one of the following: 101 Reel; 102 Reel; 103 Reel; 104 Reel. Why could these codes be important? Suppose I told you that a few dollars from your pocket could buy a beautiful fly reel fabricated from machined aircraft grade aluminum anodized in a highly polished silver finish. Suppose I told you that the reel is equipped an outstanding central disc drag that is one of the smoothest that I’ve ever had the pleasure to fish. For a novel change, the reel’s spool actually attaches to the reel by a big knurled knob that quickly screws the spool to the frame – no stupid little spring or lever that’s apt to get lost during the cleaning process. All of these reels are equipped with 2 precision ball bearings and a single clutch roller bearing. (For those of you without a calculator, that adds up to three. As you will see, these reels are nicely vented to minimize weight and lend themselves to easy maintenance.

O.K., I’ve baited you long enough … It’s time for pictures. These first two show you a generic view of how these reels appear in any of the available four sizes. Pretty? You bet! The only reel I’ve seen that I thought was prettier was the Charlton I reported on a couple of years ago. By the way, the 100’s smooth performance is very much like the Charlton.

The third photo[1] of the drag and ball bearing will give you an idea as to why. These reels are quality throughout, beautifully machined and polished, and fitted to extremely close tolerances. While I profess no expertise in mechanical things, these reels feel, look and act like reels costing hundreds of dollars more. Ask yourself this question: how many quality fly reels do you own that are equipped with three ball bearings?

The four reels featured range in size from the 101, perfect for 3/4-weight lines; to the 102, best for 5/6-weight lines; the 103, designed for 7/8-weight lines; culminating in the newly arrive 104 for line weights 9/10. To give you an idea of their light-weight, consider the 101 weighs 140 grams, the weight of a 5-weight line under the AFTMA standards; the 102 weighs in at 170 grains, very close to the AFTMA standard for a 6-weight, 160 grains; the 103 tallies 226 grains, very close to the weight of an AFTMA 8-weight line, 210 grains. I think that’s quite an accomplishment! As of today, I am pleased to announce the “100 Series” is available in various colors to include black (B), gold (G), and gunmetal (GM).

So who do we attribute this marketing miracle to? The name is Angler’s Roost Enterprises, A.R.E. for short. It turns out that John W. Kuehn, the President of A.R.E. has had a longstanding passion to make quality fly fishing equipment available to dedicated fly fishers at a price that doesn’t wreck the family’s checkbook.

Little question that John is succeeding in his quest: The little 101 depicted in this article cost me $49.98 at auction on eBay. Think about that for a moment – $49.98! After opening the box, I couldn’t help feeling a little guilty … sort of like I had stolen it. John operates an eBay store and every week loads the auction with choice items that you can bid on. On eBay, his name (seller ID) is bobo00700. To find John’s shop on eBay, go to eBay’s main page and enter the magic code I gave at the beginning. Simply enter any of the following in the search window: 101 Reel; 102 Reel; 103 Reel; 104 Reel. Press <enter>. When the window opens, cursor down until you see “#101, 102, 103, or 104 Machined Aluminum Fly Reel,” and you’re there!

Anglers Roost also sells directly at what John calls a “sell now” retail price. Email John at anglersroostent@cs.com or call (716) 565-9838. His address is A.R.E., 5820 Main Street, Suite 502, Williamsville, NY 14221.

Most of you probably think this is the perfect place to end the article. And while you would be right, I am going to continue for a bit longer. You see, John is also into both rod and reel design. In fact, it’s John’s rods that first attracted me … browsing around his eBay auction site I noticed an ad for a little 6.5-ft., IM-6 fly rod, offered at auction for $59.95. After reading the write-up, I bid and won the little rod. When it arrived, I rigged it and hurried outside … after a few casts, I loved it! Then, sad to say, the little rod snapped beneath the wrapping of the second guide … I sort of figured that was it. On a fluke, I called A.R.E. and spoke to John who immediately told me to return the rod for replacement. In short, I did and he did. Seems A.R.E. backs their products with a 5-year warranty against defects. The little rod remains one of my favorites.

A.R.E also has a 7-piece traveler plus several others. His “sell now” price for these IM-6 rods is a bargain in anyone’s market, $89.00. All are of John’s design... It follows that there should be a few lines to go along with the rods … and there are: choose either 4 or 5-weight floater in both weight forward and double-taper or the 6 and 8-weight floaters soon to arrive. I must confess that I’ve been throwing the WF-5-F for the “sell now” price of $19.95. It’s hard, if not impossible to tell the difference between the A.R.E. line and others costing $50.00 to $65.00.

The article, however, is not about rods; it’s about reels – and more than that, a man called John Kuehn and his dream of affordable goodies for us nutty fly fishers. Years ago, almost back to the time of the Druids and Stonehenge, the reel of reels was considered by most to be the Julius Vom Hofe. A clicker-drag reel, it was then and remains now, one tough reel. In its heyday the Vom Hofe was state-of-the-art. Of course, as time passed enter John, his design concepts, and the Vom Hofe was updated and made better than it was originally. Long gone are the Bakelite side walls replaced by space-age nylon. These Vom Hofe re-productions are available form A.R.E. at a “sell now” price of around 100 bucks. Take a look:

One of the things John has done is to add a nylon buffer to the end of the axle. Tighten the knurled axle nut and you increase the drag placed on the reel by the clicker. Be assured -- this is a very strong reel with the strongest clicker I’ve yet encountered. Designed for 7-weight lines, if this clicker-drag won’t slow the run of a steelhead, I’ll turn in my Dewey badge. There are two other models in the wings – one 2.25 inch diameter and the other with a 2.75 inch diameter. Fishing either of these smaller Vom Hofes with 3 to 5-weight lines ought to be a hoot. Scheduled to arrive before Christmas, what a neat gift it would make for your favorite fly fisher. For a little Nostalgia, it’s hard to beat John’s reproduction of the classic Vom Hofe.

Like Pooh waiting to refill his honey pot, it’s hard to wait for the next additions to the A.R.E. line.
- 30 –

© Copyright: Douglas G. Macnair, 2007.

[1] All photographs used in this article are through the courtesy of A.R.E.

RayJ

Reaction score
Doug is right on with this review ! I just picked up a #102 (5/6) on the auction and have been messing around with it a bit. This is a very smooth reel with a nice drag. It seems very well made and is certainly good value for the money. I intend to put it thru some rigorous use very shortly.

A few nits to pick :
1) The easy change from left hand retrieve to right hand is B.S. It involves unfastening one of those devilish little snap rings which will definitely go flying to parts unknown once you put the pressure to it. Better do it inside a box if you don't happen to have a supply of snap rings that size handy. Definitely don't try it at stream side !

2) It would be helpful if the instructions told you how much backing it held !

3) Instructions are also silent on lubrication/maintenance

4) Mine is silent on the issue of a Warranty.

Doug is putting out some great advice though - this reel is a winner.

RayJ

burns

Reaction score
I can't find anything on these on the web. Where should I be looking, or with what search phrases?

RayJ

Reaction score
They are available on ebay auctions. Anglers Roost Enterprises is the seller and the code they trade under is "bobo 00700". Go to flyfishing and search for "reel 101" or "reel #102" or whichever size you're interested in.
RayJ

hardhat

Reaction score
I have one of the 102 reels and find it to be of good quality. It is smooth quite and has a controlable drag. The reel is machined from aluminum, not cast. I showed it to the local Bass Pro fly dept MGR and he went to ebay and bought two. They are a bargain, however it is not like buying a packaged reel from the local shop. Instructions are vague and the warranty? But I have spoken with John and he seems to be a good businessman.

Roast

Reaction score
I just bought one of these reels from ebay after reading the reviews on this site (I am eagerly awaiting its arrival). I was hoping those who have bought the reel could provide others with information that apparently is missing from the instructions. For example how much backing the reel can hold (I am interested in the #102), proper lubrication and maintenance ect. Thanks

dougm

Reaction score
Depending on your line of choice, the 102 will hold about 100 yards of 20# backing ... as for salt water maintenance, I use a rinse (if really dirty), canned air to remove water, WD-40 and a tad of Quantum's Red Sauce.

If you want to take it down all the way, be careful of the C-clamp. Use as box to insure you don't send it to never-never land.

Doug

Sandy808

Reaction score
I just received my 102, today. Yes, while any instructions are all but nonexistent and no mention of any warranty, it is still a very very nice reel. I am so excited to get out in the yard and start casting. How will I make it until my big trip next year???

dougm

Reaction score
Folks,

Had trouble logging the photos, so if you don't mind, let's try it this way... the first 4 are of the 100 series to include the drag. The 5th and 6th shot is of the Julius Vom Hofe.

thecardiackid

Reaction score
Agreed.

Just rec'd mine today, and VERY impressed - considering the cost. I had actually found this site while searching for info on the 101. And the reviews here helped my decision to buy one. Glad I did.

Cangetcold

Reaction score
I bought a 101 based on the above review. My rationalizing was that IF this were true then about $50 would be well spent. If the reel was cr@p... Well – just be nice to the wife, do the dishes and get her flowers and all would be forgotten.

I put the 101 on a 4wt rod and had a blast with 1-2 pound trout. I went late-autumn fishing in some lakes here in Iceland for a couple of days. The reel functioned perfectly and gave me no trouble in extremely adverse conditions: rain, sleet, snow and very cold weather. I switched rods/reels and left the 101 exposed to the elements, as well as dropped it in sand.
I never had any problems with the reel. Adjusting the drag in the cold with numb fingers was easy and all in all I was very pleased with the performance.

In the same trip I had two other reels for my 6wt: a cheap reel (DAM Flytech ST) and an Orvis Battenkil Bar Stock. The 101 far surpassed the DAM in all ways and IMHO was more enjoyable to fish than the Orvis. Time will tell whether the 101 will last as well as the Orvis which has given me steady and reliable service for several years.

Mechanically the reel is simple. IMHO that is always a big plus in reels. Simple = less likely to break down.

I also purchased a WF line from A.R.E. It functioned adequately but IMHO is not an ideal line for cold conditions. Get’s “lumpy” in the cold and the memory increases.

There are some negative aspects to the 101 but they are minor:
Switching left/right is not easy. I recommend that is done before setting off and if you need to do it on-site then do so with your hands and reel in a clear plastic bag. Check and re-check assembly before use.

The reel I got had slight markings on it. These are hidden by the line and were insignificant. They do not in any way affect the functionality but if I had seen them in a shop I would probably have selected another 101 reel.
The info included is minimal but figuring out the backing and where to oil is easy.

My ONLY big complaint with the reel is the A.R.E. marking. It’s a measly silver sticker and looks cheap. Nothing else regarding this reel looks, feels or even indicates cheap. This is a great, solid and robust reel and A.R.E. should engrave their logo in it.

Bottom line: these reels are worth their price and more.

lindmar

Reaction score
I'm going to give these a try.

I noticed he has added to the auction..
" To answer a question posed to me a number of times. YES, THESE REELS ARE THE SAME AS ONES SELLING FOR 4 TO 8 TIMES THE PRICE. They are a tremendous buy and an incredible value. Extra spools and other colrs will be available in late March."

Is he actually making these or are they being outsourced? Makes me think he has found the same place in china building the same reels for someone else?

I did some searching and found a few that look similar but not identical..

thecardiackid

Reaction score
They are from China - I found the mfr after some searching. But still very well made.

Performance wise - I took mine down to the San Juan last weekend to give it a workout. And the trout cooperated. If you haven't fished this river, it may be hard to appreciate the size and power these fish can deliver.

In 2 days I hooked about 20, landed about 14 - many of which were 20"+ And the reel performed GREAT. In fact the first fish (once it realized it was actually hooked) ran me about 70 yards across the river and spit the hook. The reel was smooth and the drag was easy to adjust (during the brief fight). Also, it was very smooth stripping line off for casting.

The slient winding takes a bit to get used to, but this reel is certainly worth >>> $50.

My only gripe would be the capacity, b/c w/ a decent amount of backing - the line can get one sided as you're reeling in a fish (not looking @ the reel as you're trying to keep the fish out of the fast water) and 'bundle up'. Easy to fix, and my fault - not paying attention.

lindmar

Reaction score
They are from China - I found the mfr after some searching. But still very well made.

Performance wise - I took mine down to the San Juan last weekend to give it a workout. And the trout cooperated. If you haven't fished this river, it may be hard to appreciate the size and power these fish can deliver.

In 2 days I hooked about 20, landed about 14 - many of which were 20"+ And the reel performed GREAT. In fact the first fish (once it realized it was actually hooked) ran me about 70 yards across the river and spit the hook. The reel was smooth and the drag was easy to adjust (during the brief fight). Also, it was very smooth stripping line off for casting.

The slient winding takes a bit to get used to, but this reel is certainly worth >>> $50.

My only gripe would be the capacity, b/c w/ a decent amount of backing - the line can get one sided as you're reeling in a fish (not looking @ the reel as you're trying to keep the fish out of the fast water) and 'bundle up'. Easy to fix, and my fault - not paying attention.
Thanks for posting this.
Do you remember which manufacturer? Also..

Which larger company is selling these reels for 4-5 times a price.. Did you find that?

lindmar

Reaction score
Fly Reels Manufacturer exporting direct from China

I'm interested in this. I'm definately more into machined metal than die-cast. I'm looking to get a nice reel that I can have on my 9ft.-5WT St. Croix for years to come. I believe that the link above is to who makes this.
I've been exploring this for a few months now.
The reels you'll find on Alibaba you'll also find the exact same ones from about 100 different chinese exports..

I've gotten price quotes from about 30 of them, so the problem is, many of these dealers on Alibaba are middle men, taking a cut and getting the product...

I found one dealer where the price was the lowest.. around $20-25 per aluminum machined reel. Which to me, still seems high that being said I think finding the actual maker will be next to impossible without taking a trip to China.

I'm willing to organize a buy if some people are interested. We can get a small sample order of possibly 10-15

Here is an idea of pricing BTW you'll see some very nice looking and recognizable reels :)
Take a look here

fly rod,fly reel,fly box-weis fishing tackle -www.cnflyfishing.com

The FFC and FFW Reels run the highest in pricing around $38-45 bucks a pop. Looks like a very nice reel

The CLF which are the same as what we're talking about here start at $24 and go up to $36 a pop.

If anyone is interested let me know. I'm interested in checking of the FFC'/FFW

I've also got pricing on rods from various manufacturers which I'd also be interested in checking out.

axle27

Reaction score
Thanx. I'm a newbie in every sense of the word. I would be interested in either reel. I really like the idea that it's machined aluminum, rather than die-case. If done right, this sort of reel could last me the rest of my life. I like that idea.

Spending money for the name is not ALWAYS the smartest thing...and you just can't fix stupid.