A Very Timely Test & Review of Grip Studs

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
This field test was timely indeed. As you all know over the past months we have had several threads that were focused on the banning of felt soled wading boots and the shift to Vibram rubber soles. This 'shift' in and of itself has left many folks concerned about not only traction issues when fly fishing but even personal safety as well. In an unsolicited twist of fate I was ask by the good people at 'Grip Studs' a division of Deardorff Fitzsimmons Corporation, Merlin OR. to test their new stud product.

I had very recently purchased a new pair of Simms Rivershed boots and with them the Simms Hard Bite Star Cleat and had not yet installed the product to the boots. When I was alerted of this opportunity to test the 'Grip Studs' product I decided to hold off on installing the Simms cleats. Once I got the package from Grip Studs, I elected to install a set of each; one on the left boot and the other product on the right. This was I figured a true side by side field test.

First thing you will notice is the unique thread design and the cool little lug tool supplied with the Grip Studs. The Simms product is applied using Phillips head screws and your own sharp pointed screw driver.

Before ever taking a step into a stream or river I had to install the two different types of cleats. The first thing I / you, notice is that the Grip Stud cleat snaps smartly into the lug tool and there is very little chance of either failed insertions or dropped studs. Also there is no fear of a minor stab wound as there always is when applying pressure to a Phillips head screw with a driver. This was a + 10 for me on the Grip Stud product.

A stud snapped onto the tool ready for insertion;

With either product a fair level of force is needed to properly insert the studs / cleat screws but during the work I dropped several screws when they popped sideways under the force on the screw driver. No slips occurred with the Grip Stud insertion. I used an identical pattern on both boot soles and then I took them fishing.

Field / stream observations were as follows: Due to the fact that the Grip Studs protrude a bit farther above the Vibram rubber they seemed to grip better. I rated this difference at about 25 - 30% better especially on mossy surfaces. While the Simms cleats held well I could get them to shift and slip somewhat easier than I could do the same with the Grip Stud foot under equal pressure. I photographed the studs / cleats at an angle perpendicular with their position in the boot soles to demonstrate this height difference.

The simms Star Cleat;notice that it sits almost flush with the surrounding rubber cleats around it.

The Grip Stud; You can see the stud protruding above the rubber cleats and depending on the surfaces you encounter this additional height can mean a better bite.

Will this height result in more or quicker wear? I can not answer that after only a couple weeks but will report back at seasons end on this issue. In truth, we are talking about traction and safety here not how long a set of studs will last. Based on prior experience with carbide steel studs I would expect to get several years service from a pair of these. Of course if you hike them along the sides of asphalt roadways they will wear quicker I presume.

This shows wear after a couple weeks of fishing. I did not hike the studs / cleats.

All scores are tens huh? I have been using rubber soled boots since I first discovered their availability. I've had the interchangeable sole type, the solid Vibram type and have trusted my safety and that of my tackle to steel cleats on the boot soles. This product is as good as any traction device I've ever had on a wading boot and because they can be replaced if and when they wear down, better than most I've ever waded with. If you are having to buy new wading boots either to comply with regulations or because yours are worn out I suggest the Grip Studs product as your grip on the stream bed.

So we reach the bottom line............. Pricing:
Grip Stud 20 stud kit with insertion tool = $39.49
The Simms 16 cleat product retails at $39.95

For my money I like the Grip Studs, when you run the numbers 20 studs vs. 16 cleats, and a very safe tool to use for insertian the gulf widens a little more.

Ard

Suggested use pattern;

Noiso

Reaction score
Great review, thanks for bringing it to my attention - I ought to peruse this section of the FFF more often.

I am curious, with either product would you be able to extract the worn studs and replace them?

BigCliff

Reaction score
Great review of a well designed product here.

It looks like the auger style screw head would really anchor them in the boot's sole.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Great review, thanks for bringing it to my attention - I ought to peruse this section of the FFF more often.

I am curious, with either product would you be able to extract the worn studs and replace them?
Indeed, both are retractable via the application tools required.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Ard,
What are the grip studs made of?

And do they come in different colors?;)

It'll be interesting to see what your review shows at the end of the season.

FrankB2

Reaction score
Thanks Ard. I was thinking about Simms Star Cleat or Alumibite studs. The Alumibites stand WAY proud of the Vibram lugs, and that looks awkward. Can you feel the Grip studs pushing into the sole of your foot? Do either brand effect your grip on dry rocks: more or less slippery? Is one noisier than the other. The bluegills I fish for are spooky. :D

Hope you had a good day on the river! :)

nickj

Reaction score
I hate studs. They're just too slippery on rocks. That said... on ice and/or snow they're indispensable. So.. how are these on smooth rocks?

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Ard. I was thinking about Simms Star Cleat or Alumibite studs. The Alumibites stand WAY proud of the Vibram lugs, and that looks awkward. Can you feel the Grip studs pushing into the sole of your foot? Do either brand effect your grip on dry rocks: more or less slippery? Is one noisier than the other. The bluegills I fish for are spooky. :D

Hope you had a good day on the river! :)
Hi Frank,

I just found your post while browsing reviews. I use 2 less studs than are suggested by either manufacturer but tested them per the instructions that came with. The reason I prefer a little less stud and some more rubber relates to your question about dry rocks. I have only slipped twice while using studs and I mean 'slipped'. First was a slide and fall from some dry limestone rip rap while approaching a stream. I was wearing my Orvis Henry's Fork boots and they had plenty of studs. The studs kept the rubber contact at a minimum and I went skating on a very tilted slab. The second fall was around 1997 while exiting the water and the scenario was the same except the tilted slab was wet.

If noise is an issue I would use fewer studs of any or either brand. The additional rubber should give you safe & quiet contact with dry stone. When wading or creeping around shore we have to expect every footfall to be the one that will slip. That expectation is what keeps me upright and those 2 falls taught a big couple lessons about the extent of grip that a carbide stud could provide.

Ard

---------- Post added at 08:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 AM ----------

I hate studs. They're just too slippery on rocks. That said... on ice and/or snow they're indispensable. So.. how are these on smooth rocks?
Nick,

I think what I replied to Frank has you covered also.

FrankB2

Reaction score
Hi Ard,
The local stream has been getting slimey and incredibly slippery for the past month. It was last August that Yvonne slipped and broke her ankle using rubber soles, so I decided to break out my old pair of Simms Riversheds with felt bottoms. They gripped the rocky bottom like velcro, and I was once again feeling secure in wading this stream!!! These boots are 3-4 years old, and mangled from excessive use. Even so, the felt bottoms gripped perfectly.
The Vibram Simms had me tip-toeing like a gufus for the past month, but I was moving at my regular zippy pace yesterday. Yvonne was also wearing felt soles, and I think I'm simply going to abandon rubber completely. I was all excited to get the new Simms with Vibram last October (my older Simms are worn badly, and there's about 3/8" of felt remaining), and I think I over-estimated their worth. I fish the same stream 98% of the time, and I'll disinfect my boots when I fish elsewhere. Felt is just better IMO.

Jackster

Reaction score
Just looking at design and materials, it seems the Grip Studs are well thought-out.
When you see that big machine grinding up asphalt to lay a new surface down, it's carbide doing the grinding. Even on machine tools to carve metal they use carbide (for the most part) as the cutting tool. That stuff is hard and tough but can be brittle. More than wear I wonder if any of them will break or crack on you.
The way they insert really seems to spread the load and contact far more surface area within the sole than a regular sheet metal thread similar to the Simms.
Just by looking I like those Grip Studs. Too bad I won't get to try them as I just got the Chrome Korkers with all sorts of soles to try out.
Nice review. You're hired! ;)

mike63

Reaction score
I would have to say that buying Star Cleats for my Simms boots has been about the best investment I have made in this sport. I can now wade with much more confidence and will always use a cleat of some kind regardless of the brand of boot.

Reactions: Ard

45fisher

Reaction score

ditz

Reaction score
I have use cleats on ice and they are great. I have never used them in the warmwater streams I fish. These streams are limestone and get very slick. At least as slick as ice and I doubt that cleats will penetrate like they do in ice. I am too old to be slip sliding around on these slabs and rocks. Felt has worked great for me for many years and I intend to stay with it for my own safety. :eek:

jcw355

Reaction score

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Ard

Nice review on cleats! Just wondering, I know you use your boat to get up river, are you using your cleats while in the boat or are you swapping out boots once you get up river and start fishing?

I also have the Simms Riverside rubber soled boots and have been thinking about cleats but I also like to use the drift boat for some of my fishing. I guess I could buy a second pair for when I use the drift boat (that way I would have a set of boots with cleats for wading and another without for the drift boat).

Larry