Flying Pig~Liquid Series 9' 8wt.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
When I opened the package at the Post Office the first thing I was struck with was the extremely nice case. I have never seen a nicer case. The rod when I got it home was equally impressive as far as looks and quality go. It has black wraps that are flawless. It has a very large loop tip and an oversized first stripper guide. Something I like in rods. I put it together and was really impressed with the feel of the rod. It has a very fast action, faster than what I am used to, and a recovery that has to be seen to be believed. This is a true casters rod. It's a poker. I have had some communications with the rod designer in the past and he is a distance caster. This rod shows very well his knowledge in getting that extra distance in your cast.

I spooled up a Barrio GT125 WF8F line and took it out to the yard. That is a distance casters line as well. The combination of the rod and that line is one that I am sure well get me the best distance I have ever cast.

In the short time I was able to cast this rod without rain and wind since it showed up at the Post Office, I did some casting in the grass and was more than pleasantly surprised. I remember quite a few years ago casting a couple Sage rods. This rod makes them look like noodles. When you cast a quality rod it has a feel of quality. My Winston 10wt. BIIX is an example of a quality feel rod. This rod has that kind of quality feel to it, but is far faster than my Winston. It's also less than half the price of a Winston.

The price they are asking for this rod is also a bit surprising. I would have either expected the quality to be less for a rod in the $200.oo range, or the price to be at least double what they are asking. I think it may be because it is a fairly new company. You may want to jump on one of these while they are still selling them at prices like this. They are certainly worth more than what they are asking for them.

stl_geoff

Reaction score
So the dude can build rods AND rock?!? sweet!! I know one of the band members is a member here, hopefully they'll see this.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes I have a photo. I put it in the review, but it does not seem to get big enough to see so here it is again.

I had the feeling this rod was going to be a serious rod. If you have seen my threads about Bill and his casting then you probably also saw the posts by the designer of this rod and know he's a distance guy as well. I'm positive I'll break my personal best distance with this rod.

I should take some more photos of this rod so you can see the details like the wraps and guides. I build rods and know the difference between good work and bad. This is really well done. Nice uniform wraps and finish. Beautiful blank. It's light and feels good in your hand.

By the way, that camo it's on is my bedspread, I have camo curtains to match. :D

So the dude can build rods AND rock?!? sweet!! I know one of the band members is a member here, hopefully they'll see this.
He's in a band????:eek:

noreaster

Reaction score
Yes I have a photo. I put it in the review, but it does not seem to get big enough to see so here it is again.

I had the feeling this rod was going to be a serious rod. If you have seen my threads about Bill and his casting then you probably also saw the posts by the designer of this rod and know he's a distance guy as well. I'm positive I'll break my personal best distance with this rod.

I should take some more photos of this rod so you can see the details like the wraps and guides. I build rods and know the difference between good work and bad. This is really well done. Nice uniform wraps and finish. Beautiful blank. It's light and feels good in your hand.

By the way, that camo it's on is my bedspread, I have camo curtains to match. :D

He's in a band????:eek:
Gives a whole new meaning to playing an "axe" :punk:
Beautiful rod BTW

stuie675

Reaction score
Nice write up, if you dont mind me asking what site did you get this off of? If they have their own site I'd buy directly from them. I found one site carrying them with a 5wt which I am interested in looking into for a second rod.

Stu

stuie675

Reaction score
So I ordered the 5 weight the other day, I am now determined that joining this site is going to make me homeless but at least I will have some sweet gear.

stuie675

Reaction score
Hey so I was wondering how long it took for you to get your rod, I ordered mine on November 8th and have not recieved any other information from them other than they got my money. I sent them an email, but I was just seeing if it took a few weeks or what for you to get yours.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I saw where they had a couple of weights on back order. I think the 5 was one of them. I am pretty sure it won't be much of a delay. I think the 5's were backordered because it's a popular weight. They sold them out more than likely. Try giving them a call, or e-mail them. I wouldn't get to worried.

stuie675

Reaction score
Oh I am not worried, just wanting to use it was planning on going down south to Bennett Springs for my holiday and wanted to try it out, but thanks for replying I shot them an email and if I don't hear anything will give them a call sometime next week.

Thanks Dan

stuie675

Reaction score
Just an update, Larry Damore sent me an email, looks like he is just waiting for the next shipment and once he gets it in his hands will be shipping it out. Looks like these babies are selling before they even get made which is great for them and hopefully great sign that these rods are amazing.

He told me I will be getting the last one available for the next 60 days or so. So hopefully will get it in this week before my trip.

delopez

Reaction score
Oh I am not worried, just wanting to use it was planning on going down south to Bennett Springs for my holiday and wanted to try it out, but thanks for replying I shot them an email and if I don't hear anything will give them a call sometime next week.

Thanks Dan
Hey! Bennet Springs, eh? You're in my neck of the woods. I've order an 8wt to try and I'll be down, fishing the niangua, for big browns and smallies. I'm always looking for people to join me. I will probably go either next month, or January.

stuie675

Reaction score
Hey! Bennet Springs, eh? You're in my neck of the woods. I've order an 8wt to try and I'll be down, fishing the niangua, for big browns and smallies. I'm always looking for people to join me. I will probably go either next month, or January.
Yeah I am from Kansas City area, but Bennett is my childhood fishing area that my gpa took me to so I like to try and get down there when I can. Typically I go middle of week when no one is there since I am usually a loner when it comes to fishing, but I am always game on meeting people and finding new spots. I am also wanting to get down to the white river area, there is even a spot of land in AK that is for sale on craigslist that i was tempted to hit him up on, but I have a pending offer fora job overseas so we will see haha