Orvis Battenkill II Click and Pawl Reel Review

almonde

Reaction score
I recently decided i fancied a smaller lighter weight setup, previously my lightest setup was an 8'6" 5wt. I had my eye on the Orvis Superfine touch 8' 4wt. When i visited the local Orvis store and chatted to the manager there, he suggested that a 7'6" 3wt might suit better for the sort of fishing i had in mind, small streams trout fishing and some panfish closer to home in Houston. So i had a quick wiggle and cast and decided the 7'6" 3wt felt great and i'd buy one.

However what reel to pair with the rod, the obvious choice was the CFO, that Orvis pairs with the Superfine if you buy the outfit. However that reel is $250 and i'm not really convinced on the need for a disc drag on a reel for a 3wt. The manager agreed and so we checked out Orvis' new Battenkill reel. The reel is made abroad (i think China) but is machined from bar stock aluminium, the machining tolerances appear tight with no play in the wrong places. The anodizing appears of good quality, with no signs of scuffs or blemishes so far. The reel is only available in the finish that Orvis describe as black nickel, there is also a Mirage in that colour too. The colour could best be described as a slightly brownish finish. Although the sizing looks a bit weird, it matches the reel seat on my Helios 2 8wt nicely, so i think would be a nice choice for the small H2's as well. It has a nice classic look with the drilled porting on the spool and reel, which should allow it to dry out nicely should it take a dunking.

The reel is available in 3 sizes, for 1-3, 3-5 and 5-7 weight line sizes. I opted for the Battenkill II for line weights 3-5, it's only 0.1 ounces more than the Battenkill I. In a 3wt line, the II reel can take 100 yards of 20lb dacron backing, the I reel has a capacity of 50 yards. Although probably not a big deal for fighting fish, i thought the extra backing would increase the effective arbor of this standard/mid-arbor reel, there by reducing line coiling issues and increasing retrieve rates. I'll post the backing capacities as a photo below as they are not currently on the Orvis website.

The reel is easily to switch between LHR and RHR, by reversing the pawl. From mid July onwards the reels will be sold with a second mirror image spring to improve the check performance when converted to RHR (some people complained it wasn't effective enough in the current design) Orvis have said they'll swap out any reel with the original design for one of the revised reels on request. I wont bother though as I'm LHR.

The amount of 'check' available has 4 settings, changeable by rotating the little square near the pawl inside the reel. So no adjustment while the spool is fitted. I liek the clean look achieved by removing the external adjustment. I have been using it at the factory setting (mid-range), which is enough check to prevent spool overruns when stripping off line. There is a perceptible difference in the strength of the check when adjusted. The reel clicks both ways and sounds good to my ears. The spool is easy to remove, there is a spool release latch at the centre of the spool, similar to the clearwater and Access line of reels.

The reel is super light at 2.9 ounces for the Battenkill II, and seems to balance the superfine touch really well (although i've never been a 'reel balance snob'), it think it would match up well with short rods and modern ultra light carbon rods.

I haven't had anything on it yes that's really tested the click n' pawl, although i did let a couple of small bass pull a bit on it to see what happened, as you might expect, nothing surprising. There is plenty of rim exposed so you can employ some human old skool drag if required.

At $98 I think the reel is a good little product for the money and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it or buy another.

double d

Reaction score
Agree with you on your summary of the Orvis reel, I actually bought mine for the same reasons you did and really like the reel-well made, lightweight and sturdy. Did not like the fact that it is made outside of USA, but overall, I like the reel as much as you do.

notenuftoys

Reaction score
Perfect timing on the review. Thank you.

I'm looking for a new reel for my Redington CT 4wt, and the price and Orvis reputation have made this very attractive. I think I'll place an order for one today.

biggie_robs

Reaction score
I grabbed a Battenkill III clicker yesterday and am pretty pleased with it. It reminds me a lot of the LL Bean "pocket water" reel--but lighter, with a narrower spool, and a nicer color.

sreckner

Reaction score
Does anyone have any thoughts on how loud the click is compared to the Redington Drift, which I find objectionably loud?

Thanks!

jesser

Reaction score
I bought this same reel for my Superfine Touch 8' 4 wt.. I also couldn't see what kind of fish I would be pursuing with this rod that would require a $250 disk drag reel.

I love the size, the looks, the feel, and the sound of this reel. A also love the weight of it on the aforementioned rod.

I called Orvis to complain about it being made in China. I probably would not have bought it had I realized this before hand - but I took it fishing right away and only noticed days later. Somehow I just presumed that Orvis' iconic Battenkill reels would be made in their US factory--silly me. I returned other products after I discovered they were made in China, and before I used them

Anyway - the reel is excellent, and the only complaint I have is the country of manufacture. Seriously, I love this reel so much that I told Orvis I would easily pay an extra $50 if they would only make them in the USA.

shotgunfly

Reaction score
I bought this as a cheap throw on for a st croix imperial (made in USA) 4wt. For $98 you can't beat it. It's right there along side the Redington drift, but the Battenkill is slightly lighter which is what I needed.

It's performed well having 18-21" rainbow stockers on it. I can't complain (too much) about it not being made in the USA…at that price what do you expect? Sure, it'd be great if it was and if someone can find me a similar reel, of similar performance, quality, material at a better price, please speak up.

Actually, I wanted to give it all 8's but I'm not a big fan of the bold clunky type/paint on the reel. Smacks of 'cheaper' to me.

---------- Post added at 08:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 AM ----------

I would easily pay an extra $50 if they would only make them in the USA.
That'd be nice if that were possible. Shoot it'd be more like hundreds more right? What is the lowest price on a USA made reel? $400 probably.

jesser

Reaction score
@ Shotgunfly: Having worked in manufacturing since 1991, and being intimately familiar with lathe, mill, grinding, EDM, plating, brazing, and welding, I can tell you that this reel can be made and sold at the price point I recommended of $149. Further, I travel extensively in China and throughout SE Asia, as well, while daily competing with China on manufactured goods. I know how China quote work.

I agree that US made reels cost more in general, but this is largely an issue of economies of scale and a price point people are willing to pay.

When Orvis set up manufacturing of the Battenkill reels in China, the price points were agreed to based on certain purchase quantities. Orvis has the clout in the marketplace to sell more of a certain line of reels than most companies. Because of this Orvis can agree to purchase quantities, over a specified length of time, that are higher than most reel manufacturers can. Now if Orvis takes those same quantities to a US manufacturer who utilize multi-axis CNC machines and mechanized riveters; add to that a company who builds and runs progressive stamping dies (as mine does); suddenly the US manufacturer is highly competitive.

Knowing what I do about offshored manufacturing, I am fairly confident Orvis did not do due diligence on US manufacturing opportunities for the Battenkill reel line, but rather compared the Chinese costs to making the reels in their own facilities or their existing domestic supply chain.

It is the supposition that US manufacturers can't compete that often prevents our opportunity to do so.

Thanks!

L

Liphookedau

The Click & Pawl Reels were The only Reels any of us had many years ago They performed well for everyone we caught Truckloads of Fish on them however even though I still have quite a few a couple of which I only bought Late last year because they were both new or near new for $50 each,I now always use one of my Modern Reels.
I've been after a Vintage Hardy's Classic Dry Fly Rod which A departed mate's Son has which one of my Dad's ex -Fishing Mate's bought in England in The
40s or 50s.
One of my Old Reels would look really good on it.
Brian.

L

Liphookedau

Which one is best for 5wt?
Hi.
I was going to check The Capacities until I noticed The first Thread Shows The Chart with The Line Sizes & The Backing Capacities.
I'd go for The III because The II only Holds 50 Yards 20Lb Backing with a 5Wt Line whereas The III will hold 125 yards of Backing with The Same Line.
Brian

sageandonion

Reaction score
I have the III and this 'review' is based on looks alone, although I score it highly in every other respect. The reel is MUCH nicer looking in the flesh than in Orvis's publicity shots - the black nickel finish looks to be anodised and not painted and it has a deep aubergine-black hue.

The thing that spoils the reel for me is the lettering on the reverse - it looks really cheap and it's laser etched, so you can't remove it. I'm a designer, so I'm prone to being picky over the tiniest detail - and when my heart rules my head I'm more inclined to buy an Abel TR, at 2.5x the price, rather than another one of these.

raduray

Reaction score
As a newbie considering his first rig, I'm curious why the Battenkill II is worth twice as much as an Okuma SLV, particularly for lower weight rigs where the drag is not supposed to be an issue. Not bashing Orvis, just wanting to learn.

tcorfey

Reaction score
I can share the difference I found between the two which was durability.

I really liked my Okuma reel but one day I was putting a different line on it and dropped it from about 3 feet up it landed on my patio and the handle broke off from the reel. Seems the aluminum casting failed and the casting where the handle was attached to the reel broke right off.

Fast forward to my Battenkill last year and as I was jumping from a very large boulder to a smaller boulder I slipped, rod in hand I fell about 6 feet and landed using my hands to cushion the fall, rod and reel still in my left hand. The reel landed handle side down on the rock with not only the force of my arm moving forward but also my weight while falling. Other than a gash in the plastic handle which I had to smooth out with my knife blade and a scratch on the center piece the reel still worked fine.

Needless to say I was impressed with the durability of the Battenkill over the Okuma SLV.

runningfish

Reaction score
I have the III and IV, the III is for my 5wt 7'6" touch, the IV is for my switch rod. I rigged the III for the first time and put the reel on top my trash can, about 4ft+. I didn't pay attention to it when I treaded the fly line and dropped it on to concrete. No damages....shaken but not steered. Buy them with confidence.

yikes

Reaction score
I bought the Drift to go with my Redington CT 3wt, and now having worked with it for a while, if I had it to do over I would've got the Battenkill instead. think it is a better-finished reel for the price point.
At the time I bought the Drift, the deciding factor was that I could quickly adjust the drag. However, in practice, I've never needed to use the drag system at all.

powpig2002

Reaction score
i'm sorry but I don' t understand people asking how loud click and pawl reels are. thought the whole idea was listening to it sing. old friend used to say " I live for the click." just my 2 cents.