Lamson Konic Reel

Reactor

Reaction score
I just purchased the Lamson Konic 2 reel. The first impression was that of the reels finish. It looks like bead blasted stainless steel although It isn't.
I decided to compar it directly against the Lamson Litespeed to determine if they maintained their quality and here is what I saw.
The finish is definitely different than the glossy Litespeed. It is an attractive reel none the less. The dull gray finish takes away from the tight lines of anodized aluminium. It seems to be more rugged and should hold up longer than the finish on the Litespeed.
The fit matches that of the more expesive Litespeed. I found no issues with the fit. The spool fit is tight and the clearances are uniform.
The drag is advertised to be the same as Lamsons other reels. I did not completely disassemble the drag but it appears that the Konic has the same roller clutch and drag material as the Litespeed. The only difference that appeared to me was that the Litespeed has an internal bearing that supports the spool shaft where is the Konic had a bronze bushing. I did not dig out the bushing to prove this but I could read the bearing numbers on the Litespeed and found no numbers on the Konic and it appeared to be a bushing instead of a bearing. The other difference in drag is that the Konic could not go as light as the Litespeed. This may be a function of wear but right now I cannot back of the drag as much as I can on the Litespeed. The drag does back out enough for what will be required of the reel but I just wanted to note the differences in reels.
I have to say for the price the Konic is definitely worth its money. In fact I think it is a great deal. You get super quality and a great drag for 1/2 the price of a comparable reel. I recommend this reel to anyone who needs a new one.

Lampson Konic Reel

FlyFishinIdaho

Reaction score
Excellent reel, just picked one up and only having one real year of fishing under my belt since retiring. It was a really nice upgrade from my Ross Flycast, quality if far better than anything out there for the money and holds its own against the $300 models.

Joni

Reaction score
I think this reel does break all the rules. GREAT REEL FOR A GREAT PRICE. It don't get any better. I won't compare it to a Lite Speed, but again for the price The best of the best.

FISHN50

Reaction score
Was the smooth looking Drag adjustment knob easy to adjust with wet hands & does it look like it can snag line on a run...I need another salt water reel & I'm thinking about giving myself one because I think I deserve it. These were some of the questions posted earlier about the Konic & I was waiting for a tester to ask .

BlueBird

Reaction score
I bought the Konic 3.5 loaded up with a 9 wt line. My friend took it for a stripper fishing and he was impressed with the reel. According to my friend, the drag holds up pretty well as compared with the higher end models.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
I would be concerned using the larger models on larger game. I used a Waterworks ULA 3X for Striped Bass in the local rivers and Baby Tarpon and Snook in the Northern Yucatan. These fish ranged from 2 to 25 pounds. I felt that the drag system could use a bit more stopping power. In higher settings, the drag jerked a bit.

The drag system on the Konic uses the same drag system as most of the Lamson and Waterworks models. It does not use the same cone and bearing as the Waterworks ULA Saltwater/Spey specific reels. The bearing and cone on the ULA S/S models are larger.

As a trout reel, the Konic is a great value. The drag system is more than adequate (it's pretty darn awesome). The only things that one sacrifices are machining quality (it's cast then machined) and finish.

MP

mikeo

Reaction score
Great reel....at a great price....previous comments totally dead on.....so much so I can't add anything more

creeker

Reaction score
I agree. I only wish they made a Konic 1. My 1.5 is just a bit to large for the 1wt. Overall, I fish the 1.5 from 3 to 5wt and love it.

yatahey

Reaction score
Have no experience with the Konic but I just picked up a Velocity 1.5 on closeout for $127 delivered. I matched it with a Rio Trout LT WF line and will be giving it the royal treatment tomorrow on the Williams Fork.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Have no experience with the Konic but I just picked up a Velocity 1.5 on closeout for $127 delivered. I matched it with a Rio Trout LT WF line and will be giving it the royal treatment tomorrow on the Williams Fork.
Yat: Good choice! You will like the drag system on the Lamson reels.

Larry

troutbum251

Reaction score
I use a Konic 4 for my striper and spey set ups and absolutely love it. The only reel I like more is my Litespeed 2 on my Z-Axis. Everything Lamson makes is great. You cant go wrong with their pricing either, well except for the Vanquish! :shocking:

Tracker12

Reaction score
5 on appearance? I love the look and finish. Bullet proof. I love my Ross' EVOs' but always feel like I need to baby them. Not with the Lamsons'

Hunter5117

Reaction score
I originally bought one of the 1.5 sizes for my 3wt, then picked up a 3.5 for my 8wt. Both of these have performed 100% on the wide variety of warm, freshwater fish I encounter from bluegills to carp. Was going to try a Guru on my new 4wt but found a great deal on another Konic 1.5 so now I have 3. Guess there is nothing left to do but upgrade my old 5wt to a Konic and I will have a full stable.

The only reason I gave lower marks on the build quality is questions (not actual experience) with the cast and polycoated construction, both of which might potentially affect the really long term service as compared to fully milled and hard anodized reels. Same for appearance vs some of the "prettier" reels on the market. However, for the value, I can't say that either of these would affect my purchase decision even 1%.

blackcoffee

Reaction score
I'd like to hear y'all's comments after a summer of using the Konic...

In particular, how is the poly finish holding up?

thanks,
Scott

comeonavs

Reaction score
For what it is worth here is my take on the Konic. Keep in mind I have had mine 2 years and bought it for a backup 3wt for visitors / guests / friends to use. I have personally used it maybe 6 times

It is ok, works well, finish has held up well. All in all no complaints, but it just doesn't have the curb appeal of the spendier reels ie Evolution, Guru , Sage Click etc etc. I do have it paired with a Sage Launch 8'6" 3wt and it balances out well. I also throw it on a Elkhorn 7'6"3wt at it is fine there too.

In the case of a 2-3wt rod the reel is really just a line holder so I havent tested the drag. I did catch a 13" sucker fish on it in a river and that was quite a fight and it did well. In this weight range of gear to me it was more about how it balanced the rod and affordability.

For the price you can't go wrong, but if you get in to UL gear like a TXl, Orvis Superfine then no, I wouldnt pair it with one of those.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
In particular, how is the poly finish holding up?
Hi Scott,
My girlfriend has 100 plus fishing days on her Konic 2. The drag is as smooth as it was on day one. The finish seems to be holding up. The usual wear marks like the reel seat connection and a few rim mark nicks from rocks are apparent.

Dennis

thecatpoop

Reaction score
Every above post is spot on, and I could not help but throw in my two cents. Between countless reviews and recomendments from friends I matched a Konic to my 5 wt TFO Lefty Pro and it feels amazing. Everything has been talked about but again the price point for the reel kills the competition. The arbor is nice however if you dont wind your line nice and flat it may start to clip by the end. Also I try to take good care but have noticed the finish chipping after only one season. Overall best reel I could have got in the price range and I think it looks great on my setup, Konic should bust out some other colors for this popular reel!

jasonm2089

Reaction score
After reading all these reviews I have to get this reel. Thanks for all the great information.

I have to agree with the poster above Lamson should come out with more color options. I would like to see a Green like the Abel Super series Quick Change, and maybe a Copper finish.

caseywise

Reaction score
i have a hand full of different lamson reels and would love to add a konic to my reel arsenal.
i think a 1.5 for my 3 weight may be nice;).......

casey