The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Gear Reviews Get the reviews you need. Hear it from the pros. Post your own reviews...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Comment

Review Tools Display Modes
Simms G4 BOA Boot
losthwy
07-26-2014
I like the new soles. I like the BOA system. I generally like Simms products. But these are awful. The most uncomfortable footwear I have ever worn. Not just wading boots, any footware. They are built like ski boots. Just walking around the fly shop floor for a minute was PAINFUL. They dug into my...
By myt1 on 05-15-2017, 08:58 AM
Default Re: Simms G4 BOA Boot

My concern with the BOA system is if it fails you are pretty much dead in the water.

If a shoe lace breaks you can fix it in the field.

I have the BOA system on my road bicycle shoes and I have had it fail. When it broke I was able to finish my ride with my foot being completely loose in my shoe; then I took the shoes to a local bike shop and they were able to install a new BOA system. If I was camping and fishing in the wilderness this wouldn't have been an option with wading boots utilizing the BOA system.

The particular problem I had with the BOA system was with the round tightening knob breaking. I did have a buddy though who had a problem with the metal wire on his BOA equipped wading boot breaking; although they were not Simms boots and decidedly lower end.

Also, during the course of a typical bicycle ride I do have to reach down and tighten my BOA laces several times per ride.

I have the Simms G3's and although I have had to suffer with frozen laces when putting them on after leaving them outside during freezing weather I appreciate the simplicity and reliability of this system.

The G3's are heavy duty and are primarily my winter, early spring, and late fall boot. For warmer weather fishing I use Simms Vapor boots. They are easy to walk in and I have used them for two seasons of fishing, often backpacking with them, and they exhibit what I would call normal wear.

I'm very happy with both my G3's and my Vapor boots.
By wf0 on 05-15-2017, 09:18 AM

I had a pair of snowboarding boots with a similar lacing system. It broke, the makers wouldn't fix it. Ususable. Worthless. Trash. Too "digital", like a new fangled car that you can't work on when it breaks down. I like "analog" shoe laces better. You can adjust where you want the tension too with laces. With the ratchet lacing system, it's all or nothing.
By mark_lee on 07-28-2017, 07:13 AM

I like the BOA concept but it'll hard to get away from my G3's. Maybe there'll be some quality upgrades in the near future.
By airborne 82nd on 07-28-2017, 12:48 PM

I love my G-3 boots. The most comfortable, rugged boot I've had , I put a set of goat head screws into the rubber sole and I've been happy with these since april
By troutn on 07-28-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siege View Post
You didn't say much about the BOA system as Simms applied it on this particular style of boot.How did you like it ? My current boots are Korkers, so I can't say much about Simms, but I really like BOA's lacing systems.
I love the BOA system, but had one spool fail me. To be pro-active, you can go to BOA's site and they will send you a free replacement. A little tricky to replace, so don't get too excited on the stream trying to fix. I just used some 15 lb tippet to limp through the day and then replaced back at the motel.
By mcnerney on 07-28-2017, 07:47 PM

Rick
Thanks for the tip on the BOA replacements, I have been thinking I better buy a replacement kit before mine fails, so far they are working fine, but you never know when something like that will fail while out on a fishing trip.
By comeonavs on 07-28-2017, 08:57 PM

Larry I broke a boa but it was of all things stepping in a muddy silty part of the bank where my boot sunk and the suction popped the boa

Fortunately for me it was as I was stepping out of the river to hike to the truck to head home.

And yeah I needed all the help I could get from YouTube to do the replacement. I carry spare boa laces for both my rivertek and G4 with me but no way would I be able to replace them streasmisde
Comment

Review Tools