Simms G4 BOA Boot

losthwy

Montrose, Co.
Reaction score
I like the new soles. I like the BOA system. I generally like Simms products. But these are awful. The most uncomfortable footwear I have ever worn. Not just wading boots, any footware. They are built like ski boots. Just walking around the fly shop floor for a minute was PAINFUL. They dug into my ankles BAD. Simms needs to put the new G4 sole on the Rivertek. Very disappointed.

comeonavs

Reaction score
That's a shame to hear, I got a pair a few weeks back. Besides I sort of think they are ugly, very Napoleon Dynamite moon boot like.

I put 3 miles on them the first day out and they were very comfortable.

siege

Reaction score
You didn't say much about the BOA system as Simms applied it on this particular style of boot.How did you like it ? My current boots are Korkers, so I can't say much about Simms, but I really like BOA's lacing systems.

clay tonian

Reaction score
ditto seige, I absolutely love the Boa system on my Cabela's boots. Man it's nice to spend seconds rather than minutes fooling with wading boot laces. Now I just need to figure out how to make rubber soles last longer than a season...

spurly

Reaction score
I think the BOA system is fantastic. I do not miss regular laces one bit

comeonavs

Reaction score
Update to my post in this , the G4's just got ousted and replaced with G3 with regular tread. The G4 are massively wide and with the BOA just couldn't tighten them up

G4 size 12 way to big
G3 size 12 just right

The G4 are now exclusively winter , thick wool socks boots

PS I broke a boa lace once, easy to change them if you're sitting in front of you tube.

alfiegee

Reaction score
I have the rivertek boa and Although it's a super comfy boot. the boas seem to get loose fairly quickly. Kinda a pain in the butt.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I bought the G4 boot this past winter from Jimmies All Season Anglers in Idaho Falls, ID. When I was there the owner told me to wear the boats around the house to break them in, of course I didn't listen to that advice and lived to regret it. Initially, they made my ankles very sore after a day of fishing and the next day it was worse. But, now they are very comfortable, I agree they are very wide, but that fits my foot perfectly. Plus I like a boot that is slightly on the large size so my toes aren't being pinched and causing my feet to get cold in the winter. I kind of like the BOA system (not totally sold on it), initially I didn't care for the system as it is very hard to tighten the lower portion of the boot. However, after several attempts I have found that if you tighten the BOA system, then flex your lower leg forward with the boot on the ground, then retighten the BOA system. Repeat this process 3-4 times and you can get the lower portion of the boot where it isn't feeling totally loose.
I love the stability of the boot when wading, but I agree, this isn't a boot that you would want if you are into doing a lot of hiking.

brownbass

Reaction score
A question on boot soles. Do they all wear quickly? I have a pair I use weekly or more and they seem to be wearing rather badly on the toe and heels. I don't hike in them other then a few streams I visit but we have some rough streambeds in Missouri, more like chunk rock then bedrock.

myt1

Reaction score
My concern with the BOA system is if it fails you are pretty much dead in the water.

If a shoe lace breaks you can fix it in the field.

I have the BOA system on my road bicycle shoes and I have had it fail. When it broke I was able to finish my ride with my foot being completely loose in my shoe; then I took the shoes to a local bike shop and they were able to install a new BOA system. If I was camping and fishing in the wilderness this wouldn't have been an option with wading boots utilizing the BOA system.

The particular problem I had with the BOA system was with the round tightening knob breaking. I did have a buddy though who had a problem with the metal wire on his BOA equipped wading boot breaking; although they were not Simms boots and decidedly lower end.

Also, during the course of a typical bicycle ride I do have to reach down and tighten my BOA laces several times per ride.

I have the Simms G3's and although I have had to suffer with frozen laces when putting them on after leaving them outside during freezing weather I appreciate the simplicity and reliability of this system.

The G3's are heavy duty and are primarily my winter, early spring, and late fall boot. For warmer weather fishing I use Simms Vapor boots. They are easy to walk in and I have used them for two seasons of fishing, often backpacking with them, and they exhibit what I would call normal wear.

I'm very happy with both my G3's and my Vapor boots.

wf0

Reaction score
I had a pair of snowboarding boots with a similar lacing system. It broke, the makers wouldn't fix it. Ususable. Worthless. Trash. Too "digital", like a new fangled car that you can't work on when it breaks down. I like "analog" shoe laces better. You can adjust where you want the tension too with laces. With the ratchet lacing system, it's all or nothing.

mark_lee

Reaction score
I like the BOA concept but it'll hard to get away from my G3's. Maybe there'll be some quality upgrades in the near future.

airborne 82nd

Reaction score
I love my G-3 boots. The most comfortable, rugged boot I've had , I put a set of goat head screws into the rubber sole and I've been happy with these since april

troutn

Reaction score
You didn't say much about the BOA system as Simms applied it on this particular style of boot.How did you like it ? My current boots are Korkers, so I can't say much about Simms, but I really like BOA's lacing systems.
I love the BOA system, but had one spool fail me. To be pro-active, you can go to BOA's site and they will send you a free replacement. A little tricky to replace, so don't get too excited on the stream trying to fix. I just used some 15 lb tippet to limp through the day and then replaced back at the motel.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Rick
Thanks for the tip on the BOA replacements, I have been thinking I better buy a replacement kit before mine fails, so far they are working fine, but you never know when something like that will fail while out on a fishing trip.

comeonavs

Reaction score
Larry I broke a boa but it was of all things stepping in a muddy silty part of the bank where my boot sunk and the suction popped the boa

Fortunately for me it was as I was stepping out of the river to hike to the truck to head home.

And yeah I needed all the help I could get from YouTube to do the replacement. I carry spare boa laces for both my rivertek and G4 with me but no way would I be able to replace them streasmisde

bob3700

Reaction score
I love theBOA system on my Korkers. U have to walk a few steps n then tighten them up. Beats the heck out of laces. I carry a spare repair kit so a trip would not be ruined. Love the Korkers replaceable soles.
Additional thought , put arch supports in ur boots for a comfortable day on the streams.

chi.fly.guy

Reaction score
I picked up a pair of the G4's on closeout and like a lot of people are saying, if the wire snaps, you're done for the day. I picked up an extra BOA kit to keep in my bag just in case. I figured, if I had lace boots, I'd keep an extra set of laces so why not do the same with the BOA (granted it's a lot more expensive!).

There are a few things I will say I'm not fond of about the G4. First is the overall fit which like someone said, does resemble the Napoleon Dynamite moon boots. They're bulky for sure! The second is the placement of the BOA adjuster on the side. While it makes sense so you don't accidentally pop it and the wire comes undone, it doesn't seem to allow for easy adjusting. I've found that when I tighten them up, the ankle gets super secure like a ski boot which is nice when you're trudging through uneven fields and stuff but even when the ankle is tight, the top of the foot feels really loose. I usually end up pulling the wire closer to the dial and then tightening it. Then before I get in the water, I tighten the dials again a touch more just to make sure its a better fit all around.

I do love how quickly they seem to dry compared to my other simms boots and at least for me, the sole feels like it has a slight round to the bottom so I can walk much easier and not feel like I'm clomping along.

AnglerX

Reaction score
I love the BOA system. I've been using Orvis' boot with BOA system for about 5 years now. They have never failed, I do carry a backup BOA system just in case since Orvis offers those. I was worried about this as others have stated here. I guide and I am on the water about 200 days/year. About 75% of those days have been in these boots over the last 5 years. Personally, I think these are a great boot.

I use the G3 boots with studs while wade fishing.