Abel Nipper

gfirob

Reaction score
Well, after some consideration, I thought I would write a review of Abel nippers. I do this with a little hesitation, because in some ways they are kind of ridiculous, the sort of over-the-top consumerist excess that is almost a joke. I mean, really, $50 nippers?

So let me qualify this by describing my approach to fly fishing gear generally. I am unrelentingly cheap. All of my reels are used, but grand old reels (Hardys, Pfluegars, JW Young and so on). My main reel is a magnificent 1927 Hardy Perfect with a big bite out of the frame, (so I got it cheap). Works great and it’s just a superb little piece of fishing machinery (exposed ball bearings? Agate line guide?). The sound of it alone is worth the price of admission…

My waders (new) and wading jacket (used) are Reddington. My only new rod is a Reddington Classic Trout, bought as a remainder. My go-to rod is a 1950 8.5’ Phillipson Pacemaker 5 wt bamboo (found cheap), second favorite is a 7.5’ Chinese Zhu 5 wt bamboo, $100). I have a used 9.5’ Thomas and Thomas 7wt graphite for larger bass. It’s about 11 years old.

And the fact is that even though I love fly fishing, I’m really not terribly good at it, so the idea of spending big money on this hobby seems inappropriate.

But if I get a little windfall money over the transom, I sometimes indulge myself in an unlikely treat, which is why I have a Nor vise (a truly great vise, once you figure out how to fly it), a Vedavoo Tightline Deluxe Sling pack (the best there is) and finally, the Abel nippers.

So that’s the context. Here is the review:

How often do we experience something that never disappoints? Not in marriage. Not in our profession. Not in our politicians. Not even in our children. And often not in our fly fishing equipment, regardless of price. Well, the Abel nippers never disappoint. Not ever. They just do their job with heavy, faithful competency every time.

Standing in a river, how many times to we clip leader or tippet? More than almost any other repeated action. We do it over and over again. And then we try to thread the tippet through a tiny little hook eye, and if the tippet has been mashed by a dull nipper and the hook is small, it becomes a struggle. And maybe its cold. And maybe the light is fading. And maybe we have aging eyesight. And maybe the fish are rising all round us. And maybe it fails to cut at all on the first or second clip.

It is of small disappointments that torment is built.

I like to think I came on the decision to buy these nippers honestly, by first using the cheapest nippers I could find, no-name fly shot nippers, one after the other, then graduating to Dr. Slick in annoyance, then to Fishpond Pitchfork nippers in exasperation (ridiculous at $23, but who can stand the annoyance?).

By this time (my wife pointed out) the cumulative nipper expense was about the same as if I had purchased the Abel nippers in the first place, so after Fishpond told me on the phone that they could not replace the blades for me after they became dull, and suggested helpfully that I could try to sharpen them myself on a whetting stone, I had suffered enough. When the money gods smiled on me by surprise one day, I bought the Abel nippers, in conservative black.

I will compare them to the old Hardy Perfect reel rather than an Abel reel (which, after all, is too expensive for me to own). At the time Hardy made that old reel, England was still an industrial powerhouse, with very high standards, and Hardy hand-made these reels, heavily over-engineering them so that 87 years later, after having had the **** fished out of it, the finish worn off and a big bite taken out of the frame, its ball bearings run quiet and true and it gives complete fishing satisfaction.

Of course the Abel nippers don’t have ball bearings, but they feel like they do. Like the Hardy Perfect, these nippers are also ridiculously over engineered, with heavy castings, thick enamel and relentlessly sharp blades. Listen to what Don Swanson, the president of Abel, says about those blades:

“The critical cutting edge jaw is Crucible CPM S35VN, an American-made and developed premium grade stainless steel created especially for knives. It is powder-made steel with a uniform carbide distribution and clean steel properties. The steel is heat treated and hardened to a Rockwell factor of 58-60. As a blade material, it offers excellent corrosion resistance and superb edge qualities,”

Thank you, Don.

Now if the president of the company can spend 60 words describing just the blades, you know they are probably not going to tell you to go out and sharpen them on your own whet stone if you are unhappy with them.

These blades have a two year warranty and are replaceable and they tell you they will cut anything you ask them to (80 pound fluorocarbon or braided line or whatever) though I haven’t experienced anything more demanding than 6x tippet. I also understand that you can clip your fingernails with them too, if you decide you need some grooming while fishing, but I have never tried that either. The nippers also include a superb hook-eye cleaner too, something which also never disappoints.

The only real downside to them (other than the cost) is that the legitimate fear of dropping them in the river demands some form of security system for them. Abel sells a lanyard ($25) which puts the combined cost of the nippers then at $75 (!) but I use a Gear-Keeper heavy duty zinger at $12, which I already had for a camera. Not only is it more versatile but doesn’t hang around my neck (and I already had one, so it was free). The camera will just have to take its chances…

Abel also makes a similar heavy duty zinger made of “6061-T651 cold finished aerospace grade aluminum” but it costs $50 too. I mean, really, $50 for a zinger?

Finally there is the pleasure of use which any great piece of equipment brings you. After all, $50 is a modest dinner for two (without drinks) or not quite a tank of gas, or any of a whole menu of ordinary life-expenses which we shrug off with more or less minor annoyance.

For me it was the trade off of repeated disappointment and annoyance for dependable joy of use. Hard to beat, in the end.

Last edited:

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Sometimes the need to spoil oneself is overpowering. My wife loved her Abel Nippers so much I had to have a pair myself. It's a very nice piece of equipment that will probably become an heirloom piece for a future grandchild, that seems to be the excuse I use nowadays to push my reasoning over the top when it comes to the more costly expenditures associated with our sport.

Great review.:thumbsup:

plecain

Reaction score
I got mine from LL Bean. They were having one of their 20%-off-of-everything sales, plus I had a $10 gift certificate, so $30 with free shipping.

It just works. The hook punch is good, too, except for really tiny flies that have eyes that are too small.

comeonavs

Reaction score
I love mine, and fortunately for me I attend a ton of sales conferences. If not you can probably find a lanyard at office max for sub $10. The shop I bought mine from threw in a lanyard since I bought 3 sets and a Abel Hemo (couple of gifts). I gave the Abel lanyard to a buddy and hang mine on a trade show lanyard.

I will be buying the Abel zinger....well because like Vincent Vega said " I gotta know what a $5 shake tastes like, damn that's a good milkshake, don't know if it was worth $5 but its a pretty freaking good milkshake"

williamhj

Reaction score
Nice review, very well written! Might have to get a pair of the nipper though I've never found my cheap ones lacking.

biggie_robs

Reaction score
I lost a blue pair on lower Rock Creek a few years ago due to a failed zinger on an LL Bean chest pack, so those of y'all out there keep your eyes open!

As I think the Brits say, it's a nice piece of kit.

JDR

Reaction score
There is no reason to own Abel nippers… unless you can appreciate and want to reward someone for their design skills and machining skills. Unless you want a rock solid piece of equipment that you can forget about because you know it will work exactly like it did the last time, no surprises, no time limit. Unless intangible values of quality count at least as much as the intrinsic value of a piece of equipment. They are not for everyone.

flywatersmallie

Reaction score
There is no reason to own Abel nippers… unless you can appreciate and want to reward someone for their design skills and machining skills. Unless you want a rock solid piece of equipment that you can forget about because you know it will work exactly like it did the last time, no surprises, no time limit. Unless intangible values of quality count at least as much as the intrinsic value of a piece of equipment. They are not for everyone.
I like what you did there! I have a pair too, I am weak though and somehow in my mind justify such things as necessity. Mine are black :D

I also have a pair of nice pliers, not the Abel ones but the Orvis Hydros ones in olive. I got those too because well, I needed them.

thewalker1013

Reaction score
Mine are fire engine red. :D
Ditto, stick out like a sore thumb just in case I ever had lanyard fail.

The hook eye cleaner is bent though, not sure how that happened but gotta send em in. I won't be fishing in any capacity for about a month anyways, first child right around the corner now!

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
It is clearly true that the Abel Nipper is a fine piece of kit and the Gear Keeper is a winner too...but rods and lines are far more important and having learned a value lesson (I actually would rate the "value" at 10 too) from these Nippers, now is the time to upgrade the things you actually fish with.

czando

Reaction score
I love the abel nippers with my only issue is the needle point to clean the eyes out of flies. I don't like the design.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ulflyfisherman

Reaction score
My nippers are an integral part of fishing. The only thing I don't prefer about them is the hook eye pin, but I just use a hook if I need to clear an eye anyway. Put it simply, if I lost my Abel nippers today, I would buy a new pair tomorrow.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
That was a really good review Rob, really good!

I have a pair of them in the black and lucky me I had a nice black cotton lanyard that came with my 3.99 nippers that even has a cool clip to secure the Abel tool. With the lanyard I have zero fear of dropping them and they are always handy.

My cutting runs from braided mono to 30 pound Maxima that I use for leader butts. The tippets I am always snipping are always 15 pound during salmon season and then all the way down to 10 pound for trout. They lack the leverage that my cheap nipper had with its fold out handle so sometimes I have to squeeze a little harder but they are doing what they should.

For pliers I carry Dr. Slick Pieces style but I have a sneaking hunch that one day I may take the plunge into the world of all machined aluminum fishing pliers also. I've managed not to lose the Dr. Slick's so I can probably be trusted with the Excalibur grade pliers too :D

Good review for all who are guilty of conspicuous consumption out there.

Ard

flywatersmallie

Reaction score
You know you "need" those pliers Ard! You just do. They're pretty. That's all I got. That said, I do have a pair, I like them. Are they worth the money? Probably not, but then neither is the Abel nipper, several pricey vises, rods, machined reels and various other things that I own. I just like it, and as such, might as well have style on the water too!

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I am not a jewelry kind of guy. I use Timex or Casio digital watches and am inclined not to wear a watch while fishing. But I do decorated my fishing stuff out of sheer love of the sport and an over the top angling attitude. I epoxied a Bahamian Bonefish dime on the circular heavy duty metal zinger that affixes a Tiemco ceramic nipper (not so good for really heavy material but it does not rust) to my bonefish strap vest and have a pewter grand slam pin on it too. My trout vest has a pewter brown trout, a couple of pins and the Abel Nipper (brown trout) attached to a black Gear Keeper. Almost no one notices and fewer mention anything, its all for my own edification. I might be wading with a sate-of-the-art Sage ONE mounted with a Nautilus FWX or an antiquated Diamondback with a 20 year old Hardy ML350, no one but me seems to notice and my self image is unaffected by whether they do or not...I'm fishing. And, when fishing I go to considerable effort to field the most appropriate tackle for the circumstances and habitat, my rigging knots are ready for a giant fish, my leader just the way I like it and, when I bend on a new tippet, I snip the 7-turn blood knot tags with Abel precision. I do concur though that the eye clearing pin placement is almost unusably awkward, however, I double whip and refrain from cementing the heads of my flies so I don't have that clogged eye problem.