Gary Loomis – North Fork Composites EDGE 8 ½’/#4

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Attending the Somerset Show last January and volunteering for Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing, we shared a booth with Temple Fork Outfitters, a generous supporter of our work with veterans. TFO is the exclusive distributor for Gary Loomis’s new series of EDGE fly rods, built in Woodland, WA, by the North Fork Composites blank building company that seminal graphite pioneer, Gary Loomis founded. These are the first fly rods to bear his name since selling his original G.Loomis to Shimano in 1997. Somerset was the first official public showing of this limited series of #’s 4 – 6 weight trout rods and 6, 8 and 10 weight saltwater models. I had heard rumors but was surprised and delighted for EDGE to be the first new fly rod for me to become acquainted with at rod-rich Somerset.

These are fairly fast action, quick recovering rods with power to spare and the saltwater versions even more so. I took my brief turn and cast a few of them on the Show’s indoor casting pond and was sufficiently impressed to ask about the possibility of obtaining a sample to actually fish. Just a few weeks prior to my departure of Idaho and Montana in mid-June, I was excited to receive the smallest EDGE, an 8 ½’/#4, the only 4-weight they build and one of my favorite sizes.

North Fork calls the blank “naked graphite” on these rods which utilize a proprietary carbon matrix exclusive to Gary Loomis geared toward maximizing thier power to weight ratio . It appears and feels like it is polished rather than sanded to a rich, matte, burnished, naturally colored graphite finish. The elegantly flat coated thread wraps are black with slender red thread inlays at the major wraps and the non-glossy, high-end Snake Brand snake guides feature concave feet to ideally conform to the blank’s circumference. The stripping guide is a premium, titanium framed Alps XN and all the guides are a bit oversized to enhance unimpeded slack line feed into a dry fly presentation drift illustrating the sophisticated astuteness of Gary Loomis and his design team. The handsome up-locking reel seat is polished aluminum anodized in a subtle titanium-like color and the heavily burled, dark Buckeye wood spacer is resin pressure infused for permanent glossy durability. The top quality western style cork grip is perfectly proportioned and has the extra fine sanded quality that is rare but you know it when you feel it. This rod’s cosmetics are more subtle than bling but have an obvious and tasteful quality superior to most rods and befitting an $850 premium performer.

I have long favored an 8 ½’/#4 for spring creek and modest sized tail waters benefiting from a technical presentation approach. A 4-weight provides a delightful light touch but sufficient line mass for articulate casting and line manipulation control. I fished a long head, long rear taper RIO Gold on EDGE. High line-speed helps generate gravity defying tight loops facilitating in-air reach and mends and EDGE delivers these performance aspects with graceful authority. We endured unusually stiff and persistent wind during the prime Western mayfly emergence season from mid-June to mid-July this year rendering rods with insufficiently responsive or lacking immediate recovering tips more of a handicap than usual. Streams like Idaho’s Silver Creek are complex and unforgiving to begin with without having to accommodate for flexural profile anomalies all too common in deeper flexing 4-weights. EDGE has the goods though and with a compact stroke and minor correction for windage, turns over the requisite extra-long leader for precision dry fly placement.

EDGE with a net full of high leaping Rainbow​

There are but a small handful of rods that can deliver the technical performance in the class of this EDGE#4, all from long-established designer/rod makers. That a new rod series can burst onto the fly fishing scene with such elite capabilities suggests that, though Gary Loomis has not had his own name on a rod in some two decades, he has been working and experimenting toward this rod for a long time. EDGE is a handsome and mature, ready for prime time, exceptional fly rod.

coug

Reaction score
Very nice review. Are the blanks for the edge available through NFC? I see they offer 'medium' and 'fast' but no name associated with either of them. I have been looking for a faster 4wt to build up over the winter.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Since the subject of EDGE and North Fork Composites blanks have come up under Rod Building, I thought I would bring this past summer's review back up into visibility. I am hopping to fish one of their saltwater rods this coming spring which seemed very impressive on the test pond.

ratherfish

Reaction score
I got a question, I own a handful of G-Loomis rods right about the late 90's era.... how do I tell if they are Gary Loomis or Shimano built rods?

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I got a question, I own a handful of G-Loomis rods right about the late 90's era.... how do I tell if they are Gary Loomis or Shimano built rods?
Garry Loomis sold G.Loomis to Shimano in 1995. Not so much Garry who is the composites pioneer, but Steve Rajeff has been designing G.Loomis rods since the IMX in the 80's and GLX in the 90's to present. From a rod building point of view, the sale of the company to Shimano had little impact at the time, only on the business side, fly rod operations remained in the same Woodland, WA shop being performed by the same folks. Only last year, with the introduction of Asquith, has Shimano been directly involved with G.Loomis rod manufacture with the Asquith's unique technology blank produced in Japan and finished in WA.

dreihl9896

Reaction score
Sweetandsalt, is this rod a prototype of the gamma alpha rods? Do you know if the blank is the same? The cosmetics look different than what has been commercially available from Edge for the last couple of years.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I assumed it was a full production rod and seemed to match its mates on the rack at the both. It was though a very early model so I suppose some in-line changes may have occurred but I was not aware of any. As it is, I have seen next to none in fly shops so actual comparison has not occurred. Again, I will strive to learn more at next weekend's Edison Show.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
EDGE was totally absent from the Edison Show. TFO informed me that, nothing personal regarding Gary Loomis, EDGE just did not fit in with their marketing philosophy and the product folks have obtained on deep discount where their remaining inventory. Apparently, the man I had meet and dealt with regarding EDGE is also no longer associated with them and, in fact, now works for TFO. They think EDGE still survives in some form but this is not definitive.

mcmac

Reaction score
According to Edges Facebook page they are scheduled to be here at the sportsman show here in Portland next week(end). I'll make sure to look for them and see what products they are displaying.

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
I have seen Edge Gamma Alpha rods, particularly the 9’ 5 weight for sale used or as a clearance, but those rods ar listed as “moderate action” which makes me wonder whether those are comparable to the favorably reviewed rods discusssed here. Has anyone got and/or cast the Gamma Alpha rods and can tell me whether they live up to the reviews?

Also, does anyone know if North Fork Composites is still a going concern. I’m not worried about warranty that much on a used rod, but it would be nice to know if there was someone out there who could do repairs if necessary.

Thanks for any answers.

Don

mcmac

Reaction score
Good evening folks,

I had an opportunity to visit the NW Sportsman show here in Portland today and got a chance to visit with the fine folks from Edge. Alex Maslov, their CEO, was nice enough to take a little time to chat with me and explain the recent changes we are seeing. Edge has decided to market their products direct to their customers, without a middle man, in an effort to reduce the final price to client. The end result should be a reduction in price to customer by approximately 50%.
I asked Alex how what he thought about potential customers no longer having the ability to handle and cast their rods at the local fly shop prior to making a buying decision. He explained that customers have 90 days to check out the rod and return it if they are not pleased. Obviously, this doesn't mean taking the rod and using it for a month of winter steelheading for example, and then returning it. It would, however, allow someone to take and cast it to get a feel for its performance before making their final decision.

My personal thought is this could be a good business plan moving forward as so many people are buying on-line these days and never stepping foot in brick and mortar stores. Kinda tough on our beloved local fly shops (and others as well), but it is a reality with todays buying public. The other primary driver, I believe, is customers are always looking for a bargain and if Edge is able to sell a rod that is comparable to a competitors rod for hundreds less, you have to believe they will do so. The key, in my opinion, will be to effectively get their key and differentiating production information to the buying public.
As an example, Alex said they would love to be able to continue installing superior components on their rods without blowing up the price to the customer... if they find a guide that can handle harsh environmental conditions better they want to be able to get it on their rods at a minimal increase in price.
Twenty years ago, I couldn't imagine buying fishing gear on-line, but today thats no longer the case. I see posts on here all the time where people are asking questions about gear they don't have local access to check out in person. For many of us "old timers" this may not fly all that well, but for the younger generation I think this may be the new norm.

Rods were flying out of their booth today... I didn't realize how popular their standard series of rods were but people were snatching them up as fast as they could. That was good to see. Their oars for rowing were impressive as well.
On another note, I was pleasantly surprised with the feel of the new graphite handles on all of their rods... certainly different than cork but it had a very nice feel in the hand.

So in summary, it looks like a simple (or not so simple) change in their distribution model that has resulted in all of the closeout sales we are seeing from traditional retailers. So, from here on out, if you are interested in one of their products you will want to check them out on-line (or monitor their Facebook page). It will be interesting to see how they handle the marketing aspect of this change in business models. I wish them the best of luck in the future... they are a great group of people.

Mike

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
Thanks Mike,

Did you happen to cast any of the Gamma Alpha rods and if you did, how did it perform?

Did it seem to you that the rods being sold from former dealers are different than their current run of rods?

And is the new method and pricing up and running now or is there a waiting period?
Thanks again,

Don

mcmac

Reaction score
Don,

Didn't get a chance to cast any of the rods (the casting pond was busy with presentations)... however, a gentleman I work with just picked up one of the alphas and I'm trying to schedule a time to get and and cast with him and his new rod. I wish I could be more helpful but I've only cast the fast action rods.

The only thing different with the rods being cleared out by dealers and the new rods is the handle material. The new rods have the graphite handles while the clearance rods have cork handles.

I believe the pricing is current, but I would pick up the phone and call Edge to verify. If Alex is freely putting this out there to the public, I can't see why they wouldn't honor the new pricing. I can tell you the Edge rods are currently listed at half price on their website... including salmon/steelhead and bass rods through this weekend.

Alex is a very approachable guy, so don't be shy if you want to pick up the phone and give him a call.

jr spey

Reaction score
Good evening folks,

I had an opportunity to visit the NW Sportsman show here in Portland today and got a chance to visit with the fine folks from Edge. Alex Maslov, their CEO, was nice enough to take a little time to chat with me and explain the recent changes we are seeing. Edge has decided to market their products direct to their customers, without a middle man, in an effort to reduce the final price to client. The end result should be a reduction in price to customer by approximately 50%.
I asked Alex how what he thought about potential customers no longer having the ability to handle and cast their rods at the local fly shop prior to making a buying decision. He explained that customers have 90 days to check out the rod and return it if they are not pleased. Obviously, this doesn't mean taking the rod and using it for a month of winter steelheading for example, and then returning it. It would, however, allow someone to take and cast it to get a feel for its performance before making their final decision.

My personal thought is this could be a good business plan moving forward as so many people are buying on-line these days and never stepping foot in brick and mortar stores. Kinda tough on our beloved local fly shops (and others as well), but it is a reality with todays buying public. The other primary driver, I believe, is customers are always looking for a bargain and if Edge is able to sell a rod that is comparable to a competitors rod for hundreds less, you have to believe they will do so. The key, in my opinion, will be to effectively get their key and differentiating production information to the buying public.
As an example, Alex said they would love to be able to continue installing superior components on their rods without blowing up the price to the customer... if they find a guide that can handle harsh environmental conditions better they want to be able to get it on their rods at a minimal increase in price.
Twenty years ago, I couldn't imagine buying fishing gear on-line, but today thats no longer the case. I see posts on here all the time where people are asking questions about gear they don't have local access to check out in person. For many of us "old timers" this may not fly all that well, but for the younger generation I think this may be the new norm.

Rods were flying out of their booth today... I didn't realize how popular their standard series of rods were but people were snatching them up as fast as they could. That was good to see. Their oars for rowing were impressive as well.
On another note, I was pleasantly surprised with the feel of the new graphite handles on all of their rods... certainly different than cork but it had a very nice feel in the hand.

So in summary, it looks like a simple (or not so simple) change in their distribution model that has resulted in all of the closeout sales we are seeing from traditional retailers. So, from here on out, if you are interested in one of their products you will want to check them out on-line (or monitor their Facebook page). It will be interesting to see how they handle the marketing aspect of this change in business models. I wish them the best of luck in the future... they are a great group of people.

Mike
Sort of a North American based Danielsson marketing plan. While it's likely to work, it'll also be the final straw for fly fishing dealers as noted above. Having been in that business I have to say we all saw this coming as much as twenty years ago.

smoke33

Reaction score
Sort of a North American based Danielsson marketing plan. While it's likely to work, it'll also be the final straw for fly fishing dealers as noted above. Having been in that business I have to say we all saw this coming as much as twenty years ago.
It is a slippery slope. However, after walking into my local fly shop, explaining I was brand new to fly fishing, the employee told me to ignore these rods in the $200-$300 range and told me I need to consider the $500-$800 rods. I guess I would much rather cut out the shop owners cut, the distributor cut, and pay half the price for that rod. Especially with the return policies many manufactures are offering.
Even better yet, I would rather support the small company rod builder who isn’t having to spend all sorts of money on advertising costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dean_mt

Reaction score
I just got this clearance email before seeing this thread back to life. If'n one was interested in an Edge rod, this is a screaming deal... also, reinforces the markup cost concern from the manufacturer. If the shop can clear this rod for $360 - which is likely their cost - on a retail of $850, then we'll probably be seeing a much more "affordable" Edge lineup soon.

Anyway, if they had 690 in stock for this price, I'd probably order it sight unseen. If your in the market for a #4 or 5... check it out.
EDGE Fly Rods with Gary Loomis | MRFC.COM - MRFC

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
Well, there is a 690 on eBay right now. But hold onto your hat — it is listed at $2055. Have no idea why they think that price is appropriate.

Don