The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Gear Reviews Get the reviews you need. Hear it from the pros. Post your own reviews...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Comment

Review Tools Display Modes
OPST Commando for Single-hand Rods
mjkirshner
08-27-2017
I live on a small finger lake with high banks and lots of shrubs and trees, limiting the ability for overhead casting. I got the OPST 225-grain Commando and a light 10' MOW tip for a 6-wt single-hand rod. I already had a 7' versileader (7-ips), and a 10' floating polyleader, so I tried the...
By mjkirshner on 09-03-2017, 04:50 PM
Default Re: OPST Commando for Single-hand Rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by iracmiller View Post
Although I suppose I can learn to spey cast, the OPST videos indicate the Commando also works well for roll and overhead casts. Any insights and guidance to help in making a choice would be appreciated.
Yes, it works for roll and overhead casts. Overhead, you can get a lot of distance with one backcast, and you can even shoot line on a roll cast. If you leave a little overhang of running line outside the tip, you can make a short, quick haul, and get even more distance.

With regard to the running line, I have Rio Slickshooter and OPST Lazer, and the Lazer is definitely better. The Rio tends to sink, so you have to pull it to the surface before casting, and if there are any weeds under the surface, they get snagged. The Lazer floats much better and does not coil as much.
Comment

Review Tools