Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  62
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Default Re: Buyer Beware. Cabelas does not repair their rods.

Quote Originally Posted by madison320 View Post
    I accidently snapped my Cabela's rod tip the first day I received it, yesterday. I brought it in to the local Cabelas today to pay to get the section replaced. I figured it would cost $30 or so like most other rods on the market. To my surprise Cabelas does not repair their rods, they only replace them if they have a manufacturer's defect. So if you accidently break a rod you're out of luck. Luckily I only broke the tip so it's pretty easy to repair myself. But I'd never buy another Cabela's rod for this reason.
    Good to know. I had a Cabelas rod when they only had a one year warranty and it broke on a cast one week before the warranty expired. They gave me a hard time but did refund my money. I thought they had improved the warranty by going lifetime, but didn'trealize that it isn't like the "good" companies that have a "we don't care what you did to it" and will repair or replace for the small fee.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    People complain about the humidity in Florida... but no one's ever had to shovel humidity to get to his car.

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Cabela's sell chinieeze rods you were expecting a custom build?
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

3. Default Re: Buyer Beware. Cabelas does not repair their rods.

Tell the a fish broke it not that you broke it in your door

Blue Ridge, Rappahanock, Potomac and Fingerlakes Region

Hey guys this thread caught my eye as they recently just built a cabelas 10 miles up the road from me. While new to fly fishing not new to the outdoors, backpacking, camping, hunting (archery (traditional and compound)/muzzleloader/rifle). I was wowed, no dazzled by Cabelas when it first opened, bright lights, tv star demos, big name gear, etc. After lots of trips there and visits to the bargain cave hunting high end, low cost hidden unicorns I have come away with a method:
    Consumables - I will buy consumable name brand items there, e.g. Rio shotgun shells, Federal or Remington ammo in my hunting caliber, Hornady balls or conical bullets for black powder season. I will buy the model of Irish setter hunting boots that I like when it's time to replace them. These are all known commodities from known manufacturers that get used up and just need to be replaced, sometimes in bulk, e.g. a case of shotgun shells before next years waterfowl season.

Hands on - I tend to go to Cabela's after a lot of on line research to actually do a hands on testing/appraisal of things, e.g. "how does the Sitka fleece jacket fit me vs. the other one, are the pockets laid out better, etc."

Bargains- If I see the high end, name brand thing that I have been hunting around for in the bargain cave, I'll buy it. If anything goes sideways with name brand gear, all I would ever be seeking from Cabelas will be just to send it to the manufacturer and get it back repaired, I am not depending on them to do much more than the post office would. If Cabelas won't do that I can still try and work directly with the name brand company.

Durable stuff - Bows, guns, now fly rods- no. For things that will really cost me money and that I will depend on when I'm out in the field to get the job done or my hike/hunt/fishing trip is over, I go to my Local Archery Shop, (LAS), my Local Gun Shop, (LGS), my Local Fly fishing Shop, (LFS). (Quick disclaimer, based on then existing newbie ignorance, I bought both of my Winston fly rods off of Ebay, after a great deal of research and speaking to Winston directly mostly because I had no idea if and where the nearest fly fishing shop was, duh. I have since solved that problem and have good relationships with two places within reasonable distance.) The LGS, LAS and LFS all will stand behind their gear and have a vested interest in resolving issues and making things right for their customers as they don't rely on a volume sales mass production business model.

If for some reason I had to buy some entry level gear, say for a school/church kids program, I would not go to Cabela's. Assuming that the LFS couldn't help me, I'd call Orvis and see if they could help get the kids some basic outfits through one of their corporate programs. There are stores an hour away in either direction and they will stand by their stuff. The last thing that they would want is pictures of busted Orvis fly rods in some little kids hands and sad tales of how the Orvis rod broke little Suzie's fly fishing dreams...

5. Thanks Ard thanked for this post
    Likes mcnerney liked this post
  6. Default Re: Buyer Beware. Cabelas does not repair their rods.

When I first started shopping Cabela’s, they were of little help in selecting gear and they wouldn’t take stuff I broke back and give me a new one. I had to pore over the catalog pages and wonder which might fit my needs better. Then I had to wait .. and wait .. and wait for the postal service to deliver the product I had selected. If I broke it .. I had to save up and order another .. and wait .. and wait. It was great! I could get gear from them that nobody within a hundred miles stocked! It’s even better now! I can quickly browse their website that is updated with new stuff daily. I can comparison shop them against many other retailers. I can even go to their local store and pick it up right there if I want. Or I can wait a couple days and they’ll have it shipped quickly to my door. If I break it, sometimes they’ll even give me a new one. What more could I ask for?

7. Likes Ard, k_e_v liked this post

They don't repair leaky waders either.
    -Rick Allen

9. Likes mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by City Rat View Post
    If for some reason I had to buy some entry level gear, say for a school/church kids program, I would not go to Cabela's. Assuming that the LFS couldn't help me, I'd call Orvis and see if they could help get the kids some basic outfits through one of their corporate programs. There are stores an hour away in either direction and they will stand by their stuff. The last thing that they would want is pictures of busted Orvis fly rods in some little kids hands and sad tales of how the Orvis rod broke little Suzie's fly fishing dreams...
    Not to hijack this thread but another good choice for kid's programs is Temple Fork Outfitters (TFO). I have experience with their entry level outfits for instructional purposes. The whole outfit rod, reel & line under $60. It is good quality equipment.

Denny

11. Thanks City Rat thanked for this post

Denny,

TFO has the best and easiest warranty in the business-The last time I looked it was $25-to replace the rod I think Loomis and Sage are around $125- for the same service-my 2 cents
    CB

13. Thanks City Rat thanked for this post

Your comparing a tfo rod to a Loomis and sage rod.Really

The Cabelas warranty since the purchase by Bass Pro has changed...

"What Is Cabela’s Rod Warranty? Fishing & Fly Rod Warranty Details Listed
    Written by Cathy Desmet | Published on 11/29/2018 | In: Shopping Help » Sporting Goods

Exterior of a Cabela's
    Most items purchased at Cabela’s, including fishing and fly rods, are covered by the Cabela’s Legendary Guarantee. This ensures that customers can return or exchange items within 90 days of purchase with the original receipt. So, essentially that’s Cabela’s rod warranty. Cabela’s fly rod warranty falls under the same umbrella. Extended warranties for fishing and fly rods are not currently available at Cabela’s but may be offered by the rod’s manufacturer. For more information, see below.

What Is Cabela’s Rod Warranty/Cabela’s Fly Rod Warranty?
    Fishing and fly rods purchased at Cabela’s are covered by the store’s Legendary Guarantee, store associates at various locations said. Cabela’s Legendary Guarantee allows customers to return or exchange most items within 90 days of purchase with the original receipt. There are some exclusions — including firearms and gasoline-powered items — but fishing rods are included. There is no additional charge for Cabela’s Legendary Guarantee. Some store-brand items are covered against manufacturing defects for the life of the item, but Cabela’s fishing rods are not. Extended warranties are not currently available for fishing and fly rod purchases. (For warranty information on Cabela’s waders and Cabela’s boots, see our articles.)

Cabela’s used to offer a lifetime guarantee on all Cabela’s brand products. Meaning, if you purchased a Cabela’s brand fishing rod and it broke or malfunctioned under normal wear and tear, you could return it for a new one at no charge. But, after Cabela’s was bought by Bass Pro Shops in 2017, it discontinued this store policy, store associates said. A corporate customer service representative confirmed this information. However, as of press time, if you purchased an item under Cabela’s lifetime warranty and need to make a return, Cabela’s will honor it one time only on a given product, customer service representatives said."

So if you break a Cabelas rod after 90 days...you won't get a replacement tip, rod or anything. The pricing reflects this lesser warranty.

Let's be honest guys......If there's a manufacturer's defect......it's going to break the first time out. Most breakages are user error. We pay up for no fault warranties which are becoming fewer and fewer. LL Bean and Orvis rods are no longer all under lifetime warranties.

Cabelas since the merger w/ Bass Pro is not the same. It's a bunch of over priced clothing, Tracker Boats and gummi worms. It's a shell of its former self.

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

16. Thanks City Rat thanked for this post
    Likes Ard liked this post
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast