Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  62
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Buyer Beware. Cabelas does not repair their rods.

Wow!

I was worried when I logged on this morning. I saw three of those 'Ard You have Been Quoted' messages so I looked to see what the heck I did this time.

When I saw that they were all on the Cabelas don't fix em thread I just wanted to hide. I didn't look to see who said what, I put that off for a couple hours...

Then I finally thought that I'd have to face the consequences for what I said because I remembered posting to this discussion and I came to face the punishment.

I want to thank you guys for all the latitude you give me when I make my thoughts known. Things I say either in text or in person are sometimes not what people want to hear but I say or write them anyway. I saw Rip Tide say that Orvis started this mess and I believe he is right on both points! Right that it was Orvis and right that it is a mess! I think it was a marketing ploy and have long wondered if they had any idea how it would blow up across the fly fishing world?

I actually believe that there are some people who transport rods or use them in reckless fashion because they know that if they break them it is only a minor inconvenience. You just grab one of your 2 or 3 "back up rods" and then mail the broken one back when you get home...

I also saw the post about insurance. I think that would be fair, when you are about to buy that new Sage Igniter 13'6" eight weight you get to make a choice. Pay 1200.00 and get the replacement offer with the deductible or................. pay 6.00 and take your chances. Same with all the major brand rods pay or pass.

I'll tell you one thing, I'd bet that guys who passed on the replacement program would be very careful with their 600 dollar rod. I've been fortunate, I've only done 2 stupid things that resulted in needing rod sections replaced in the past 41 years since I began owning expensive fly rods. I'm careful.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

2. Likes City Rat liked this post

To the last few posters, this is indeed an insurance policy and nothing more. Some of them failed to use accurate actuarial tables. Hope I spelled that right.

One more thing that occurred to me a year or two ago.... I am a stock market nerd and the gear sold by publicly traded companies are the first to address this. They answer to their shareholders quarterly and the finances are dissected accounting line by line. Free insurance wasn't working. I'm not suggesting Cabela's or Bass Pro ever made or sold top end gear because they never did IMO. Nor did they ever charge Sage or Orvis prices for their fly gear. They do however make a consistent profit to ensure their survival, and IMO fill a niche for part of my outdoor needs.

1. Lot's of retail stores with a huge inventory.
    2. Quick shipping that is often free.
    3. In the rare event I had to return something it wasn't overly painful.

I do hate it that Cabela's is technically gone now. Most of my favorite shirts are Cabela's Guidewear line. I wear them to work and play and they need replaced after 5+ years. Bass Pro mostly killed the line, and my shirts and pants are about done. It will be noticed if they ***** out the rugged clothes Cabela's sold for decades, as that was a very profitable part of Cabela's. It isn't going unnoticed as I read the reviews on their site. You can't just replace it with junk. Hope they listen and don't try to be Wal-Mart outdoors but I am not optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
    I get it.

However, is it OK to complain that the Sage and GLoomis promised and we paid for lifetime warranties and now they will not honor them. Sounds like perfect grounds for a class action lawsuit. That is a legit problem.
    Out of curiosity, when these “warranties” came out originally was it stipulated that the repair/replacement would be free of charge? As already pointed out by multiple parties on this thread, the “no fault” clauses are more insurance than warranty. With that said, I don’t know about in the past, but currently every company (which is most) that offer these “warranties” now stipulate that they’ll charge you for the repair/replacement if you break the rod. And these fees certainly aren’t going down. So, it seems to me the companies are finding a way to keep these costs in check as they keep raising the fees. G-Loomis for example is at $100 now, and I can’t imagine they’re losing any money replacing rod tips and $100 a pop.

Silver, you know the industry better than most of us here, any idea what the break-even charge would be for most companies? I’d guess the average charge is around $60 so my hunch is somewhere close to that amount. TFO is significantly less but so is the purchase price of their rods. Regardless I can’t see them losing enough on these repairs/replacements to go out of business. (Unless they have in fact exposed themselves to any sort of class action by reneging on their warranty verbiage in the past)
    Life is like a box of chocolates...and a river runs through it. Or something like that.

Went into Cabela's last week, killing time after I paid my Sears bill next door. I haven't been in there since I bought a rain jacket there with a gift card I got for my birthday last year. GASP! No bargain cave! Most of the fishing gear I've bought in Cabela's, I bought in the cave. Even less reason to go back anymore.
    I'd already developed a preference for Sportsman's warehouse because they were much more supportive of the PAL youth group I'd volunteered with in the past. The few great deals I'd got during Cabela's early years here in town were long ago, and the good products (boots) I'd found there they don't carry anymore. While Cabela's was thinning out selection of fly tying stuff, Sportsman's was enlarging and putting effort into keeping it neat. When I dropped a comment card thanking Sportsman's for the effort in the fly stuff section, they mailed me $15 worth of coupons as a thank you. Sportsman's has had a veterans discount since day one. Cabela's never did.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

6. Likes Lonnie Utah liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by JoJer View Post
    I'd already developed a preference for Sportsman's warehouse because they were much more supportive of the PAL youth group I'd volunteered with in the past. The few great deals I'd got during Cabela's early years here in town were long ago, and the good products (boots) I'd found there they don't carry anymore. While Cabela's was thinning out selection of fly tying stuff, Sportsman's was enlarging and putting effort into keeping it neat. When I dropped a comment card thanking Sportsman's for the effort in the fly stuff section, they mailed me $15 worth of coupons as a thank you. Sportsman's has had a veterans discount since day one. Cabela's never did.
    Sportsman's, a good ole Utah company.

I bought our 7 y/o a pair of waders there last year. When they developed a leak, I called the manufacture and inquired about doing a return (which they were more than happy to do). However, I had lost the original receipt. Well, on a whim, I went by and spoke to customer service where I got them. Then asked me how I paid for them (debit card) and the approximate time frame (what month). After about 10-15 mins of searching (this is not something they do very often), the young man was able to find a record of the transaction and print me a duplicate receipt. I was then able to do the wader warranty with the manufacture no hassles.
    "Do yourself a favor. Take a kid fishing." - Franc White aka "The Southern Sportsman"

"Maybe your stature as a fly fisherman isn't determined by how big a trout you can catch but how small a trout you can catch without being disappointed." - John Gierach

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

Blue Ridge, Rappahanock, Potomac and Fingerlakes Region

I have been very lucky so far I found two very good Winston Rods on Ebay, one of which was never registered so Winston registered me as the original owner. I went the Ebay route because of the high cost of many of the quality rod options that I was considering. I would definitely support an industry wide pricing structure which dropped the base cost of a quality rod but had an option to buy repair or replacement insurance for a reasonable price. Some of these rods cost as much as a well outfitted laptop or a new 4k UHD TV, if I opt to buy similar insurance for other "high dollar" items, why not my fly rods? Obviously if I was one of the guys who is a guru at building rods from blanks then this kind of insurance might appeal less to him than me but such a pricing scheme would definitely work for me. Much more clear expectations on both sides of the transaction.

Quote Originally Posted by tx_newb View Post
    Silver, you know the industry better than most of us here, any idea what the break-even charge would be for most companies? I’d guess the average charge is around $60 so my hunch is somewhere close to that amount. TFO is significantly less but so is the purchase price of their rods. Regardless I can’t see them losing enough on these repairs/replacements to go out of business. (Unless they have in fact exposed themselves to any sort of class action by reneging on their warranty verbiage in the past)
    Companies have reneged. My previous post showed that Sage now charges for all repairs that are not due to manufacturing defects even on rods previously sold with all inclusive no fault warranties.

As to the cost of a repair, a Sage rep emailed me that what they lose money on repairs. There was a previous thread about a Sage demo rod that was sold on Ebay. The fly shop that sold the rod did not disclose that Sage will NOT repair demo rods at all even if the buyer pays for a repair. There are two reasons - Demo rods are NOT to be sold. Since Sage gives the rod to the fly shop, Sage makes no money on the rod AND Sage loses money on repairs.

After several email exchanges with Sage, they agreed to repair the rod but for "an arm and a leg" to the buyer of the demo rod. This is what the Sage rep emailed me. I X'd out the Sage reps name:

"I wanted to get back to you about some information pertaining to the demos, and actually the shop you looked into. I talked to the Production Manager and the final stance will be we will fix demo rods not involved with a shop anymore. It will be at a very steep price, and in my option not worth it at all, but if someone has a demo and wants it fixed we will do it but it will cost them and arm and a leg. I'm sorry about the confusion, they have had some discussions about this stance and this will be their final one.

Best Regards
    XXXX
    Sage Repair"

See post #39, page 4 on this thread:

Disappointing Sage DEMO rod repair

I even told the seller of the rod (Silver Creek Outfitters) that Sage will not repair Demo Rods and they told me that the Sage rep was lying!

Here is the conversation from Ebay

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

10. Thanks City Rat thanked for this post

Wow.

That's all I can say.
    "Do yourself a favor. Take a kid fishing." - Franc White aka "The Southern Sportsman"

"Maybe your stature as a fly fisherman isn't determined by how big a trout you can catch but how small a trout you can catch without being disappointed." - John Gierach

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

Blue Ridge, Rappahanock, Potomac and Fingerlakes Region

Companies have reneged. My previous post showed that Sage now charges for all repairs that are not due to manufacturing defects even on rods previously sold with all inclusive no fault warranties.

As to the cost of a repair, a Sage rep emailed me that what they lose money on repairs. There was a previous thread about a Sage demo rod that was sold on Ebay. The fly shop that sold the rod did not disclose that Sage will NOT repair demo rods at all even if the buyer pays for a repair. There are two reasons - Demo rods are NOT to be sold. Since Sage gives the rod to the fly shop, Sage makes no money on the rod AND Sage loses money on repairs.

After several email exchanges with Sage, they agreed to repair the rod but for "an arm and a leg" to the buyer of the demo rod. This is what the Sage rep emailed me. I X'd out the Sage reps name:

"I wanted to get back to you about some information pertaining to the demos, and actually the shop you looked into. I talked to the Production Manager and the final stance will be we will fix demo rods not involved with a shop anymore. It will be at a very steep price, and in my option not worth it at all, but if someone has a demo and wants it fixed we will do it but it will cost them and arm and a leg. I'm sorry about the confusion, they have had some discussions about this stance and this will be their final one.

Best Regards
    XXXX
    Sage Repair"

See post #39, page 4 on this thread:

Disappointing Sage DEMO rod repair

I even told the seller of the rod (Silver Creek Outfitters) that Sage will not repair Demo Rods and they told me that the Sage rep was lying!

Jeezy Pete! I am feeling better and better about my decisions so far on which rods to go with, everyday.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567