Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  62
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 69
  1. Default Buyer Beware. Cabelas does not repair their rods.

    I accidently snapped my Cabela's rod tip the first day I received it, yesterday. I brought it in to the local Cabelas today to pay to get the section replaced. I figured it would cost $30 or so like most other rods on the market. To my surprise Cabelas does not repair their rods, they only replace them if they have a manufacturer's defect. So if you accidently break a rod you're out of luck. Luckily I only broke the tip so it's pretty easy to repair myself. But I'd never buy another Cabela's rod for this reason.

  2. Thanks City Rat, Masteri thanked for this post
    Likes mjkirshner liked this post
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wasilla / Skwentna, Alaska
    Posts
    17,260
    Blog Entries
    132

    Default Re: Buyer Beware. Cabelas does not repair their rods.

    This should not come as a surprise to many, Cabelas is a rod seller not a rod maker. In my experience it is companies who have a rod production capacity who carry extra blank rod sections. Through the years I've pretty much stuck to rods made by companies that were either in the business before I got my first rod or those who entered later such as Sage.

    Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

    Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

  4. #3

    Default Re: Buyer Beware. Cabelas does not repair their rods.

    Ard, or course, is correct. If you wish to purchase an inexpensive rod like Cabela's sells which are mass produced in China and Cabela's orders batches in their color and logo, buy it from accompany that has their rods made for them to their specifications...also likely in China or possibly S. Korea. This way there is a higher probability that materials and quality control have been specified and the brand can stand behind you, the customer.

  5. Likes mcnerney, weiliwen liked this post
  6. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Western Portal Sequoia National Forest / Kern River.
    Posts
    1,018

    Default Re: Buyer Beware. Cabelas does not repair their rods.

    Manufacturers Defect, check - That's what their warranty states. Their return policy limits bargain bin returns to net sales, bargain bin stuff purchased in stores is yours to keep. Fine prints always the last thing we think about when we're jones'n for a new trinket, then find a deal ( we think ) and have some coin burning a hole in our pocket......but then they're able to sell you that little 5/6 glass rod for sixty bucks. So it's kind or gamblers wash that I'm willing live with on a few small ticket items.

    Dave

  7. Likes madison320, mcnerney, brownbass liked this post
  8. #5
    smcnearn Guest

    Default Re: Buyer Beware. Cabelas does not repair their rods.

    Cabelas has a lifetime warranty on defects under normal wear and tear. But.....

    Put it this way, I found a cabelas rod that had spent a couple years in the river, it was rotten, took it down and got a brand new rod/reel setup for free.

    Lay some sugar on the customer service lady and she may treat you right Buyer Beware. Cabelas does not repair their rods.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. Likes mcnerney, k_e_v, scotty macfly liked this post
  10. Default Re: Buyer Beware. Cabelas does not repair their rods.

    Quote Originally Posted by trout trekker View Post
    Manufacturers Defect, check - That's what their warranty states. Their return policy limits bargain bin returns to net sales, bargain bin stuff purchased in stores is yours to keep. Fine prints always the last thing we think about when we're jones'n for a new trinket, then find a deal ( we think ) and have some coin burning a hole in our pocket......but then they're able to sell you that little 5/6 glass rod for sixty bucks. So it's kind or gamblers wash that I'm willing live with on a few small ticket items.

    Dave
    LOL! Yup! That was the rod! Cabelas 5/6 CGR glass on sale for $60.

    Like you said as long as it's a small ticket item it's worth the gamble. Once you start getting over $100-200 it's probably not worth the risk, especially if you use and abuse your equipment a lot like I do.

  11. Likes mcnerney liked this post
  12. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Southern NH
    Posts
    2,748

    Default Re: Buyer Beware. Cabelas does not repair their rods.

    I bought a Cabela's 8 wt. rod to use as a backup on a trip.
    I never used it on that trip or after. It sat in my shop in the garage.
    Two years later I tried it out on my bass pond next to my house. It snapped on the second cast.
    I had the receipt (I save all of them; just ask my wife). Took the rod to the nearest Cabela's store.
    They simply credited my card with the original amount paid.
    The only question was 'Do you have the receipt?"
    Today is the first day of the rest of your life.

    Paul

  13. Likes mcnerney liked this post
  14. Default Re: Buyer Beware. Cabelas does not repair their rods.

    Quote Originally Posted by smcnearn View Post
    Cabelas has a lifetime warranty on defects under normal wear and tear. But.....

    Put it this way, I found a cabelas rod that had spent a couple years in the river, it was rotten, took it down and got a brand new rod/reel setup for free.

    Lay some sugar on the customer service lady and she may treat you right Buyer Beware. Cabelas does not repair their rods.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's funny you mention that because last night I brought the rod in and the girl asked me if I wanted to return it or replace it. I felt guilty returning a damaged rod, especially without the rod case so I told her I'd be back with the case and then return it. When I came in this morning the narrative changed from "getting it replaced for free" to "you're out of luck we won't even fix it for a fee".

  15. Likes mcnerney liked this post
  16. #9

    Default Re: Buyer Beware. Cabelas does not repair their rods.

    I don’t recall Cabela’s ever offering a no-fault warranty. The limitations of their product warranty are clearly stated. Who’s to blame?

    Some fly anglers wish rod manufacturers would go back to a limited warranty and lower new rod prices.

  17. Likes sweetandsalt, mcnerney, myt1, steveid liked this post
  18. Default Re: Buyer Beware. Cabelas does not repair their rods.

    Quote Originally Posted by plecain View Post
    I bought a Cabela's 8 wt. rod to use as a backup on a trip.
    I never used it on that trip or after. It sat in my shop in the garage.
    Two years later I tried it out on my bass pond next to my house. It snapped on the second cast.
    I had the receipt (I save all of them; just ask my wife). Took the rod to the nearest Cabela's store.
    They simply credited my card with the original amount paid.
    The only question was 'Do you have the receipt?"
    That was a manufacturer's defect.

  19. Likes mcnerney liked this post
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-10-2017, 04:50 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-10-2017, 06:30 PM
  3. Buyer beware / read this
    By Ard in forum Fly Fishing Tackle Member Classifieds
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 12-08-2014, 02:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •