Orvis Ultralight Wading Boots

yikes

Reaction score
Bought the new Orvis Ultralight Wading Boots and gave them my first tryout yesterday. For comparison purposes, my previous boots have been Chota Lost Creek (with leather uppers), and Redington Palix.
The Orvis boots are definitely the best combination of support, comfort, and light weight. I would compare them more to a hiking boot. They are the quickest drying of the three - - they basically dried overnight. They are lower in ankle height, but there was still plenty of ankle support.

They excel in light weight, and I noticed at the end of a day of biking and wet-wading, I was not as tired. The lighter weight is especially welcome on days filled with rock-scrambling. The vibram sole has a more "random" tread pattern, and the grip on wet rocks was fine for me. I have not attached any cleats (purchased separately) yet.

A couple of caveats:
- These are lace-up only, so if the Boa lacing system is your thing, you won't find it here.
- There's a hoop for your gravel guard hook, but it seems a bit far forward, so I just hook to the laces instead.
- Orvis boots are slightly over-sized. I am size 10.5 in street shoes. Wet wading, I use Simms 3.5 mm wading booties and my Orvis ultralights are size 11. All other brands make me jump up to a size 12 for the same fit.

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
How much do they actually weigh? I have a pair of Korkers that weigh in at almost exactly 3 lbs. Not bad, but for backpacking I’m always looking to shed as much weight as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vishnu

Reaction score
Yikes, Thanks for the info. I am more than ready to put on some ultralights as soon as the weather shifts a bit more and I can wet wade. I have been eyeing a pair of lighter Simms boots (i forget which model) but will also check out these Orivs ones too. I have a pair of mid range Orvis boots now and they are great, but like ski boots. I look forward to longer hikes without the added weight on me ankles.

yikes

Reaction score
How much do they actually weigh? I have a pair of Korkers that weigh in at almost exactly 3 lbs. Not bad, but for backpacking I’m always looking to shed as much weight as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Check out the weight comparison in this video, also listed in the video description:

Weight Comparisons:
Orvis Ultralight Wading Boots - 1lb 6oz
Simms G3 Wading Boots - 2lb 1.5oz
Korker's Buckskin Wading Boots - 1lb 10.2oz (and has that awesome interchangeable felt sole option, which I assume holds more water than the vibram option)
Simms Vapor Tread Wading Boots - 1lb 11.4oz
Patagonia Ultralight Wading Boots - 1lb 12oz

Last edited: