Good Water Shoe Recommendations?

Michael D

Reaction score
Im in Australia so the temperature doesnt get very cold where I fish. I am searching for a good water shoe recommendation for warmer weather.

Anyone have any xperience with NEOSPORT Zipper boots? I found a good review here but want a second opinion?

bassclef

Reaction score
I got myself a pair of Simms Intruder boots for wet wading a month or so back, and I love them.

I did have an issue with the fabric coming loose from the insoles after my fourth or fifth trip out with them, but I sent them back to Simms and they replaced them without question.

myt1

Reaction score
I got myself a pair of Simms Intruder boots for wet wading a month or so back, and I love them.

I did have an issue with the fabric coming loose from the insoles after my fourth or fifth trip out with them, but I sent them back to Simms and they replaced them without question.
I recently returned from a trip where I just about broke my neck, multiple times, wet wading in some Columbia water-shoes that were pretty much intended to be worn around the pool.

I assumed I would replace them with some purpose built wading shoes by Simms....I looked at the Ripraps...but the reviews weren't that good. Apparently, quality is a real issue, similar to bassclef's experience above.

The Merrell's mentioned look like they have potential, particularly if worn with some sort of neoprene booty.

I'm interested in what people suggest here.

ryc72

Reaction score
I have both the Simms riprap with rubber soles and carbide studs and the Chota felt soled wading shoe. Primarily use the Chota because felt is just so much better than rubber and studs and are a lil bit more comfy. On the Simms you can feel the individual studs as you step and walk. Doesn’t hurt but you do notice it. The downside of thinner soles than wading boots. Both so far have served me well tho. Durability hasn’t been an issue with either but I’m not hard on my footwear....not a ton of trekking, hiking, bouldering. One issue with the Chota is the quicklace system doesn’t hold great. It slips throughout the day. Not a huge issue since the fit is pretty good but if the fit is too large I can see how it would get annoying. Once these run their lifecycle will probably try the Simms felt/rubber combo. I do like to wear them with Sealskinz over the calf waterproof socks which help you keep comfy. Btw, the socks are not waterproof if you are curious. But are awesome nonetheless.

tex68w

Reaction score
I have the Simms Zipit II Flats Bootie and so far so good. I like the ability to slip something on that keeps the pebbles out and protects my ankles when in the flats. I get back to the boat and slip them off and rinse them out in the water.

I have looked into the Intruders for use in springs and creeks during these hotter months, but so far my Shimano Evair Croc type sandals have been filling that role with little need to replace them.

jrod88

Reaction score
The Neosports might work for you. I actually have been using my Mares dive boots in the bay without issue. I first used them after I lost a pair of slip on type water/boat shoes in about 3 feet of mud.

One thing I'd do is find a pair with a stiffer sole than those pictured, but that's just my preference, we have sharp rocks and oyster beds here.

flav

Reaction score
I've not used the neosports, but I've used similar zip up booties. The style is great for warm weather wading and they keep sand and rocks out. The problem is the sole, they suck on slippery bottoms. I now use felt soled booties, and they are awesome on many kinds of bottoms from smallish rocks to sand and some coral. That style bootie is called Tabis, and they're popular in Japan and areas like Hawaii where you wade in warm areas with coral or walk on slippery lava rocks. I bought my present pair in Hawaii for like $30.

ryc72

Reaction score
The tabis look cool. What does inner split toe mean? The big toe seperated from the other toes similar to wearing a flip flop? How firm/hard is the toe box?

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
I have the Ripraps with the rubber sole and studs, and they seem well made. I haven't had any structural problems with them but I don't use them a lot. I have boots with felt, that is much better in the water, but not on land. Recently I used the Ripraps clambering around on dry rock jetties in RI, and they worked great for that. I plan to try installing aluminum bars on them once I get caught up.

flav

Reaction score
The tabis look cool. What does inner split toe mean? The big toe seperated from the other toes similar to wearing a flip flop? How firm/hard is the toe box?
Yes, there's a piece of cloth that goes between your big toe and the rest of the toes, but it's thin and you hardly notice. My booties have a semi rigid toe box, enough to protect your toes some, but the rest of the bootie is soft neoprene and I wouldn't use them to wade I rivers with good sized boulders or rocks.

trout stalker

Reaction score
I use Simms Zipit Bootie II for wet wading in Missouri streams when it is extremely hot during the summer and I will not be wading above my knees. But I do want to take a look at the Simms Intruder Boot - Vibram Solo.

mka

Reaction score
I just got back from a couple days on a Northern New Mexico stream where I tried out my SoftScience water shoes for the first time. Wow! For those who like to fish small streams and creeks, let me say these SoftScience shoes worn with DexShell waterproof socks are amazingly comfortable. The shoes are light as a feather and I've never worn anything as comfortable as these shoes and socks. I learned about DexShell from Jeepster when we were fishing the Gila Wilderness last year...the best socks I've worn and I've owned neoprene and other waterproof socks, but these are by far the best for mountain trout fishing. I'm guessing these SoftScience shoes would work very nicely on the flats too...if you're not worried about a stingray tag:)

I've never worn a more comfortable shoe while wading for trout!!!!

This is the stream where I broke in the shoes/socks for their inaugural trek this week...this combo was a good buy, indeed!

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
these SoftScience shoes worn with DexShell waterproof socks are amazingly comfortable.
How was that combination of shoe/sock for just walking around or hiking? I am going to Yellowstone next month and haven't decided what footwear to bring.

myt1

Reaction score
mka and jeepster II, I think you nailed it.

I'm wondering if that setup would also work as a boat-shoe.

I will definitely be giving those shoes and socks serious consideration.

Thanks.

mka

Reaction score
How was that combination of shoe/sock for just walking around or hiking? I am going to Yellowstone next month and haven't decided what footwear to bring.
For walking around, they're great. I walked all over that valley for two full days and my feet never felt tired...like walking on an earth of memory foam. I would be worried about how they do hiking on steep inclines, though. They are built to leave room for your feet inside the shoe for water to easily release through the vents...on steep mountain inclines hiking up or down that could cause a problem (I'm speculating here) with feet slipping inside and causing blisters. As an example for Yellowstone, hiking up and down Slough Creek trail to and from the meadows might be better to have a snug fit hiking shoe instead of these. However, once you're up in the meadows there, these would be great.

satyr

Reaction score
If I am wet wading I almost always just wear an older pair of my normal Asics running shoes. I just got back from Yellowstone and we hiked 18 miles one day up Slough Creek and there isn't a wading shoe made that I would want to walk that far in. My Asics never seem to have any problems from being in the river all day for days on end. I had a pair of Brooks that I tried that with and the soles started delaming after the second day. I do have a pair of Ripraps that my waders fit in but I am considering buying a new pair of the lightweight Patagucci waders with the thin rubber booties so that I can always wear my Asics.

mka

Reaction score
mka and jeepster II, I think you nailed it.

I'm wondering if that setup would also work as a boat-shoe.

I will definitely be giving those shoes and socks serious consideration.

Thanks.

If you go to their website, you will see a boat shoe that has the same sole design.