Common cents protocol from France

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Pleased top meet you !

My name is Simon, thirty years old addicted french flyfisherman. I have been into writing articles for ten years in several french magazines and I've created a flyfishing webzine called Truites & Cie.
The english version is now opened and we are going to publish several ultralight nymphing rods reviews with Common Cents data and Common Cent Frequency. So, it could complete your database ! :)

Our protocol is here : Fly rod review protocol | Truites & Cie

Let me know how it sounds for you !

Thanks for your attention,

Best regards
Simon

cb

Reaction score
A shameless plug for your magazine! (you should really have asked first).

Nevertheless, the CCS system has been discussed many times on here and its been around a long time!

It's major flaw was giving a notional "Speed" classification on an angle measurement (Action Angle) yet the frequency, which is a measurement of speed, was not given a speed rating. What would be much more interesting would be to see the actual speed of recovery of a bent rod tip (say 30% bent) under different loads. So then a question would be: - would this speed directly correlate with Action Angle or Frequency - or both?

The other flaw to the system I found was that on modern stiff / fast rods bending them to 30% of their rod length gave them power values way too high because basically they were not designed to bend that far!

Reaction score
Sorry if my message disturbs.... you can delete it if this is a problem...

It was initialy a way to get great informations as those i find at the end of your message...

Sorry :)

silver creek

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

My name is Simon, thirty years old addicted french flyfisherman. I have been into writing articles for ten years in several french magazines and I've created a flyfishing webzine called Truites & Cie.
The english version is now opened and we are going to publish several ultralight nymphing rods reviews with Common Cents data and Common Cent Frequency. So, it could complete your database ! :)

Best regards
Simon
Welcome Simon.

I would say that the CCS is an attempt to quantify the feel of a rod during the cast. In other words, if two rods have the nearly the same metrics on CCS, should they not "feel" the same while casting identical fly lines are identical distances. After all, rod "feel" is what fly fishers seek within the a given line class and I believe rod feel is more than the action and fly line rating.

Jim Green has an interview on Sexy Loops. In it he has some interesting comments on rod "feel." Although he is referencing bamboo rods, his comments apply to all fly rods.

"You see I am an old Bamboo man, I have always had a love for Bamboo. It's amazing when you think about it, you take all these materials, Bamboo, Glass, Graphite in some cases Boron. The most important part of a rod is not what it is made of. What's more important is the action of the rod. If you take a good Bamboo rod with the correct action, they might say it's a Bamboo action, but there is no such thing as a Bamboo action. It might be a Bamboo feel, but not a Bamboo action. The action of a rod is just the way it happens to bend under stress. So you can make a bamboo rod that will bend under stress a certain way, and you can make a glass rod that will bend under stress a certain way, and then a graphite rod, they all are going to cast good you know? Sure one is going to be lighter than the other, of course that's what seems to be a big selling point, people like them light....

The feel is there because it has weight and swing. They call that a Bamboo action, it is not an action, it is a feel. The action like I said before is the way a rod bends. You can take all three: Bamboo, Glass and Graphite, and if they have a good action, they will all cast very well, but Bamboo will feel different because it is heavier. If you want to duplicate the action and feel of a Bamboo rod you have to build it solid, so it will have a different kind of swing to it. "

Jim Green

I do think some information is better than no information but I don't know how CCS can truly quantify the feel of a fly rod. I would be interested in how you would answer if Jim Green was still with us and asked you how CCS can truly quantify the feel of a fly rod.

Reaction score
Hi Silver,

Thanks for your answer !

We've already tested several references and we have noticed that 2 rods with similar lenght, power and action can have real difference of Common Cents Frequency (in cpm).

For example, we have shown that the Thomas&Thomas contact 10'8 line 3 have a higher CCF than most of the 10' included in the tests ! So, we can conclude that the "reactivity" of this rod is very important ! even if it s a 10'8 long rod (reactivity decreases with lenght), its reactivity is better than a 10' rod and it will give the angler more precision... that's like that we have interpreted our results !

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Hi Folks,

Pleased top meet you !

Best regards
Simon
You'll find us to be a bunch of 'Fuzzy Puppies' and 'Agree to disagree' is 'OK' but not beyond that. Family Friendly Board. Looking forward to reading your postings.

Great link! Book Marked same.

Fred

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
As I have discussed previously, I find no common sense in the common cents system of measurement. The variable is depth of flexural profile of a given rod which will respond to a given fixed amount of weight differently relative to how steep or deep a rod flexes which has nothing to do with what line weight will optimally load it during casting.