Lumbar Pack Advice Needed!

chi.fly.guy

Reaction score
Ok so I'be been reading a lot of articles and reviews and watching youtube videos about lumbar packs. I just bought the Fishpond Thunderhead sling and really love it. But it hit me, if I wear my sling pack AND my military camelbak, things are gonna get tangled and annoying really quick!

So I started thinking about a lumbar pack and I think it's something I want to look at this fall and winter and give it a shot come spring. But I'm stuck in my selection...

My local shop has Patagonia, Simms and Fishpond gear in stock. I understand that the biggest issue with lumbar packs is that they tend to get wet easily and that's made me consider the thunderhead lumbar pack or one from Simms.

But my only hangup with the submersible bags is that there's a lack of points to attach retractors and the zipper, while awesome and air tight, really needs both hands to close. Also, there's no water bottle sleeve so I'd have to think of a way to attach it to the outside which isn't the end of the world but still a slight annoyance.

So that's got me considering the Umpqua Ledges 650 ZS. It seems like it would be a great size and has enough attachment points that I could have my nippers, hemostats, thermometer, etc all attach to the bag without any issues. The only snafu I have is that I've read there isn't a pocket that has a plush lining for a phone or small camera and it's not water resistant let alone waterproof. But it is $100 cheaper than the thunderhead!

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience comparing the two? I'm looking for both good and bad things about each bag and appreciate the details and honest reviews.

If I had to decide at this moment, I'd go thunderhead but again, I'm really liking the attachment points found on the Ledges 650.

Thanks!

el jefe

Reaction score
I use the Fishpond Nimbus waist pack, and have largely divorced my tools from that pack. I carry my tools and tippet on a lanyard. That frees me up to carry the Nimbus as either a lumbar pack or a sling pack, depending on the situation.

lookard

Reaction score
What about umpqua's Tongass 650? Its a lambar pack, its water proof and it has lots of attachment points!

chi.fly.guy

Reaction score
That's another one I'm considering now that I saw it on their site. I like the waterproof feature but I'm not sure how I feel about the roll top. I know it works but I'm worried it'll be cumbersome if I'm mid-thigh deep in the water trying to change a fly so I can catch one more fish before it's too dark.

Just trying to prep myself as best I can before I'm in the water and think "man I wish I bought that other bag..."

denver1911

Reaction score
There is no “one size fits all” approach to carrying stuff. Personally, I love a lumbar pack with no frills. Just one big empty main pocket, two bottle pouches, and waterproof. I stow my rain jacket, lunch, first aid kit, spare shades, water filter, etc. in there. The stuff I use with any regularity (flies, tippet, nippers, forceps, etc.) gets put in a shirt pocket. Hope you find what works for you.

myt1

Reaction score
Speaking to lumbar packs in general:

I like the fact that I didn't have to have my net tethered to my back with one of those magnet thingys and could just slip it between my lumbar pack and my back. For me this was more convenient, but it also makes it easier to lose the net.

I had to stop wearing a lumbar pack, although in general I liked it, because the way it tightened around my waist it gave me a stomach ache...maybe I overloaded it.

I switched to a day pack. I have to use one of these magnet thingys to secure my net, but for me it is a better option.

MarsB

Reaction score
Have you thought about just ditching the camelback? Unless you have serious hydration needs, I don't see the reason to carry one. Pick up a sling that has a water bottle holder big enough to accommodate the bottle of your choice. Hands-free hydration is great for action sports like mountain biking (I pretty much never ride without mine), but IMHO unnecessary for a more passive activity such as fly fishing.

huronfly

Reaction score
I can't speak for the lumbar packs you mentioned, but for a drink holder I have found one of these to be handy. Just attach it to you lumbar pack belt or wading belt.
bottler holder.jpg

chi.fly.guy

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Thanks for the comments. As a few of you mentioned, a camelbak is a bit excessive I agree. I try to not bring it unless I've got a decent hike to get into the spot I want to fish or the weather is a lot hotter than I'd prefer.

I like the idea of a lumbar pack for holding my net as a few have mentioned. Also I like it because I've had a few instances where if I lean forward with my sling, it'll swing down under my armpit and that's a less than ideal feeling.

I found a Fishpond Westwater lumbar pack for a decent price that was only used once. I figured that might be worth a shot. When it arrived, I was disappointed with how much smaller it was in person. I thought I bought the guide version but I guess not. I'm actually not that upset by the smaller size because I think this'll be a great pack to keep in the car in case I have some time after work and I want to toss a few lines out. Also, I think it might be a good size for longer walks with my wife and our dog through some forested areas near us. For now, we bring a smaller backpack with water bottles, snacks for both us and the dog, as well as a few toys and an extra leash. I feel a bit silly carrying a day pack on a 5-10k walk but I think the lumbar pack will fit the bill much better.

Now I'm still looking for that "ideal bag" but I have a better understanding of the size I'd like and features. Waterproof like the Umpqua Tongass is certainly preferred in case I step in a hole or a weird storm pops up. But I can't help but shy away from the Fishpond Thunderhead because of the lack of smaller storage areas. I'm considering the larger Simms G4 and the Umpqua Tongass and the Orvis lumbar pack (not sure of the name). The main concern I have now is finding one with a substantial belt and lumbar support on the pack. I like the orvis water bottle sleeve and the size isn't too bad but the belt and shoulder strap seemed a bit flimsy when compared to the Fishpond Thunderhead or Umpqua options.