new Scott G series 8'8'' 3#

shortcast

Reaction score
Hi,
Im over in the Uk and would be grateful if anyone has any info on the rod mentioned in the title. I have seen the videos about the new series but would like to hear from anyone one fishing this rod. I mainly fish small rivers and streams in the north of England for small wild trout using 3#/4# rods. Im looking to upgrade to a top end rod. I also like a rod that bends a little to protect the tippet.

thanks for any help

rsagebrush

Reaction score
I acquired that rod last year, quite similar to the Original G 3pce but faster recovery. I have used it with a SA Mastery Trout WF3, Single Hand Spey #3, Barrio SLX #3, TT4, Wulff Long Belly 3 and it worked lovely with all of them. I have landed trout up to 18 inches and landed them quite fast considering it is a 3wt, dynamite rod, just like the original but maybe a bit better. Handles wind quite well, just like the original but in 4 pieces. I do not regret the purchase.

proheli

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, the more I read the more i want this rod.
I got the 884, and almost immediately had buyers remorse that I didn't get the 883. But I already have a great 3wt, so... and the 884 has become my go to rod. I think an 883/904 pair would be a great 1-2 punch.

paulriver

Reaction score
I am looking for a rod for a delicate presentation. For fishing with thin leaders for grayling. I'm thinking of a scott g series 8.8 #3 rod. Is it a good choice??

IDAfly

Reaction score
I currently own many of the original Scott G rods in 2-6 weight and they are my favorite rods overall. I’ve owned about 6 other original G’s that I’ve since sold.

I bought the GS 883/4 and quickly returned it. I’ve cast many G2 and GS models too. The iterations from the G to G2 to GS have gotten faster, stiffer, quicker or whatever one may want to call it. Not for me.

If you can get your hands on an original G 843/5 or 844/5 to try or buy, I think they might be a better rod for the smaller streams you say you like to fish. These models are some of the “slowest” rods in the G, G2 and GS lineups, if not the slowest. They load VERY well in close, and will throw any loop shape you want to. They are shorter too which may help on the smaller waters.

If you are looking for a G, G2, GS type action, another rod brand/model to consider is the McFarland Emerger. I’ve never had my hands on one, but hear that the action is slower and reminiscent of the original Scott G. Offered in 8’4” and 8’8” lengths too.

Last edited:

Meuniere

Reaction score
And this may be a little off topic, but I would give VERY strong consideration to the Burkheimer DAL 8'9" 3wt, it is brilliant with light tippets, and also has the bottom-end muscle to handle some good sized fish. And it casts like Jesus on rollerskates. Otherwise I'd agree with @IDAfly , track down the original G, in 3 or maybe 4 weight, they are tremendous. I don't know if you can get Burkheimer where you are, though- best of luck!

proheli

Reaction score
I remember being in Durango a few years ago and two of the shop guys were fishing the GS 883. It was their goto rod for the waters around there and they spoke very highly of it. They also mentioned another guy or two they knew that really liked it. I’ve already got an 863 or I’d be very interested. id slap a SA Amp Smooth Trout or Standard on it and call it a day., a happy one.

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
In terms of delicate presentations....I was thinking about the question posed ^^^^ and, IMO at least, while various factors play a part I don't know that the rod is the most important or even a major element--I think of the casting stroke/angle, line taper, leader. Don't misunderstand, I'm not saying all rods are equal, just that the rod isn't the whole story (the old adage "it's not the arrow...." comes to mind). All that said, if looking for a moderate/fairly full flexing rod, I think a "G" 883 from any series (G, G2, GS) would be a fine choice (I owned the original G 883 and have owned and cast many other G2s and GSs--and FWIW in general I prefer the GS rods to their predecessors, for me at least the G series has gotten better over time), as would the Burkheimer mentioned above (I haven't cast the Burkeimer model mentioned above, but I do own his DAL 489 and it is what has kept me from being tempted to buy the very fine GS 884). However, if the shorter length is not a problem, for a moderate action (dry-oriented) 3 wt I would suggest the T&T Paradigm 8'2". But I doubt you'd be disappointed in GS (or G2 or original G) 883. Good luck to you.

Last edited: