Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
  1. Default Reel Review: Shilton SR9

I've been using the new Shilton SR9 over the last few months on the local Talang Queenfish. This is a South African made piece of large arbor kit aimed at Saltwater or heavy duty freshwater service which holds the mandatory 300 metres of 50lb braid backing together with a WF9 fly line.

For those of you that are fans of the Big Game Abel Super series everything will feel immediately familiar, as was the case with the older SL. It's just as solid. The SR though feels more refined than the SL and the more open cage and rounded edges gives the reel a modern look. Under the hood though is the good old tried and tested draw bar, cork drag arrangement so beloved by saltwater fisherman. Like I said, it's all very familiar.

Shilton has, however, put their own touches in there. The pawl springs are sealed which is a great idea for those of us that have had a spring come loose and rattle around the casing in an old Abel. There's also three sets of pawls, so two fail-safes rather than the more usual one. The drag disc has been increased in size so start ups are relatively smooth and the draw bar is tightly sprung so you can put plenty of drag down quickly.

The old SL series has been a favourite of the Seychellian guides for a number of years and this reel carries on the tradition.
    If you like cork drag reels and you get the chance to have a look at one, give it a go.

Nice, no frills reel that does what it says on the tin.

Regards,

Trevor

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by camelbrass; 12-16-2018 at 06:49 AM.

2. Thanks Lewis Chessman thanked for this post
    Likes mcnerney, dennyk liked this post

Default Re: Reel Review: Shilton SR9

Beautiful reel, and pretty simple looking design for taking apart and cleaning. The extra pawls are an interesting feature. I've heard great things about Shilton, they were already on my short list for my next saltwater reel.

Fine looking reel, my friend. Are the dogs and their spring(s) actually sealed or simply encased in those housings? We don't see many Shilton's here in the US but I have a friend who fishes their trout reels almost exclusively.

Does its South African competitor, Magla, still exist?

5. Default Re: Reel Review: Shilton SR9

Hi S and S,

'Sealed' was a bad choice of words on my behalf. You're right, they're not sealed but encased as you say. The cover is fiddly to get off though.

I've never seen a Magla. The only other South African made reels I've seen are the Wade and the cheaper Xplorer. I see a lot more Shiltons than these.

Regards,

Trevor

Magla is also a cork draw-bar. Mine is a 9/10 mounted on my Loomis CrossCurrent GLX #9. My daughter did her "semester abroad" in college in Capetown while her friends went to Paris, Rome or London, so I familiarized myself with South African reels. They may be out of business now as I have heard nothing about them for some time.

Magla LA9.10.jpg

7. Likes camelbrass liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by camelbrass View Post
    Hi S and S,

'Sealed' was a bad choice of words on my behalf. You're right, they're not sealed but encased as you say. The cover is fiddly to get off though.

I've never seen a Magla. The only other South African made reels I've seen are the Wade and the cheaper Xplorer. I see a lot more Shiltons than these.

Regards,

Trevor

There was also Tide Reels from SA. I carried Tide, Magla, and Shilton when I had my business, but Shilton was the only one who did any marketing. I sold quite a few of those, but almost had to give away the Maglas and Tides. At the time, say fifteen years ago, I was the only Shilton dealer in North America, but Angling Company (in Key West) took them on a few years later. Before I closed up shop I checked Angling Company and found no trace of Shiltons on their website and when I called the woman I talked to had never heard of them. So when customers asked me after I shut down, I said I had no idea where they could get another reel, spare spools, or even needed servicing except through SA. Anyone aware of any Shilton dealers in North America at the present?