Danner/Patagonia Foot Tractors

dillon

Reaction score
Patagonia, Danner Team Up for ‘Foot Tractor’ Wading Boots | GearJunkie

I was in the Portland Fly Shop today, just up the street from the Patagonia Store. While getting fitted for a new pair of Rio Gallegos zipper front waders, an upgrade from my leaking RG's, I overheard the shop guys talking about this new wading boot. I quipped, they won't need to be soaked for an hour before wearing them like my old Danners, will they? Thisa might be the latest and greatest in a wading boot. I love my Patagonia tractors. Check them out. They look very well made by great companies. But, as one might expect, they ain't cheap... $550. Wowser!

brownbass

Reaction score
At $550 a pop, they would have to the last boot I bought. I would plan to be buried in them as well. Along with my New Asquith. That is if I ever got nerve enough to face the dragon (my wife that is).

Bii

JDR

Reaction score
This is another environmentally friendly move by Patagonia. These boots are meant to be repaired as they wear, not discarded like every other fishing boot on the market. They will literally help you to "walk the walk". If you are a younger fly- fisher these boots could be one of the best bargains you will find.

dillon

Reaction score
This is another environmentally friendly move by Patagonia. These boots are meant to be repaired as they wear, not discarded like every other fishing boot on the market. They will literally help you to "walk the walk". If you are a younger fly- fisher these boots could be one of the best bargains you will find.
Yes, Danner builds great boots and Patagonia has great customer service. I'm confident thes boots could last one a lifetime. My current foot tractors could be my last. They may only need aluminum tread replacements. I've had Patagonia wading boots (and other things) replaced when I would have been happy with a repair. They usually take back the worn product repair and donate it or give it to an employee. Some people have issues with Patagonia, but I sure don't...

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I regard Patagonia's angling wading boots from Marlwalkers to Foot Tractors the best in the industry. I purchased new Foot Tractors last spring and had I not I would have bought the Danner version this spring.

JDR

Reaction score
I am sure some do not know that Yvon Chounard has a history of designing climbing shoes and approach shoes. The only thing unusual about Patagonia collaborating with Danner to make a repairable wading boot is that it didn't happen sooner.

tln1313

Reaction score
Re: Danner/Patagonia Foot Tractor

I regard Patagonia's angling wading boots from Marlwalkers to Foot Tractors the best in the industry. I purchased new Foot Tractors last spring and had I not I would have bought the Danner version this spring.
Having owned many of both Simms and Patagonia over the years I tend to agree that Patagonia is a cut above with an incredible warranty. I recently blew out the instep seams on my 2 1/2-3yr old foot tractors and took them to a local Patagonia store. They offered me a new pair, or a gift card for the full purchase amount of $279. Knowing the new foot tractors are soon to be on the shelves, I opted for the gift card. I’ve also seen the foot tractors at one online dealer for $499 + a $20 gift card to the fly shop. $479 (net) is still big cash for wading boots, but even if I can get 6-7 years out of them and they help me to wade safely-I think they are worthy of a serious look.

cooutlaw

Reaction score

I'm sure they will be top quality boots. However, I wish, wish, wish, I could have ever become friendly with a Danner product, but I have not been able to.

As some here know, I guided quite a bit as a young guy....MT, for fishing, but further my circuit went something like this...April to August Fishing only...while training a few bird dogs.....Sept/Oct Grouse, Huns and Prairie Chicken MT, SD, ND, Cast and Blast Guiding Bird Hunting and Fly fishing.... OCT/NOV Pheasant, MT,SD,NE, KS...Big Game Colorado Elk... DEC/JAN KS, NE Pheasant.... JAN/FEB/MARCH - Quail-Trout- AZ.....April, back to MT....moral of this story...I've put a few miles on boots guiding bird and large game hunting...enough to destroy at least one pair of upland and a pair of big game almost every year...I've bought about every top brand out there including the highest warranty stuff, just trying to get something...anything....to last awhile....I have tried at least 4 pairs of Danner boots, I've done every trick known to God and man to break them in correctly and then like them....of the Dozens of top brands I've owned, Danner is my absolute least favorite boot....why? Not quality....they are super quality boots, they simply do not fit my feet correctly and because of this, they are, hands down, the most uncomfortable boot I've ever worn...even after 6 months of daily break in...even with orthotic insoles, they KILLED my feet every day....I'm not a "weird footed" guy...no goofy arches or strange widths, box stock 11 1/2 or 12 D's (depending on the boot) fit like a glove in everything but Danner...dunno, they just simply never worked for me, and I know a few other guides that experienced the same thing....even now the guys I still hunt and fish, and run dogs with, wont touch Danner....I hope that others wont have the same problem with the wading boots as I did with regular Danner Boots....if they do, they are certain to loose wading boot customers because it truly was that miserable....and it would be a shame because Danner is a really quality product. FWIW. Just my personal experience.

Last edited:

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score

I'm sure they will be top quality boots. However, I wish, wish, wish, I could have ever become friendly with a Danner product, but I have not been able to.

As some here know, I guided quite a bit as a young guy....MT, for fishing, but further my circuit went something like this...April to August Fishing only...while training a few bird dogs.....Sept/Oct Grouse, Huns and Prairie Chicken MT, SD, ND, Cast and Blast Guiding Bird Hunting and Fly fishing.... OCT/NOV Pheasant, MT,SD,NE, KS...Big Game Colorado Elk... DEC/JAN KS, NE Pheasant.... JAN/FEB/MARCH - Quail-Trout- AZ.....April, back to MT....moral of this story...I've put a few miles on boots guiding bird and large game hunting...enough to destroy at least one pair of upland and a pair of big game almost every year...I've bought about every top brand out there including the highest warranty stuff, just trying to get something...anything....to last awhile....I have tried at least 4 pairs of Danner boots, I've done every trick known to God and man to break them in correctly and then like them....of the Dozens of top brands I've owned, Danner is my absolute least favorite boot....why? Not quality....they are super quality boots, they simply do not fit my feet correctly and because of this, they are, hands down, the most uncomfortable boot I've ever worn...even after 6 months of daily break in...even with orthotic insoles, they KILLED my feet every day....I'm not a "weird footed" guy...no goofy arches or strange widths, box stock 11 1/2 or 12 D's (depending on the boot) fit like a glove in everything but Danner...dunno, they just simply never worked for me, and I know a few other guides that experienced the same thing....even now the guys I still hunt and fish, and run dogs with, wont touch Danner....I hope that others wont have the same problem with the wading boots as I did with regular Danner Boots....if they do, they are certain to loose wading boot customers because it truly was that miserable....and it would be a shame because Danner is a really quality product. FWIW. Just my personal experience.
I didn't want to say anything, but after you made that post I totally agree. I had Danner boots in Alaska when I was younger and into hunting and never felt like they were comfortable. I just don't know how/why but they just weren't, and I wouldn't spend the money on these new wading boots, I'll stick with Simms.

JoJer

Reaction score

I never spent (what I thought was) a lot of money on boots till just a few years before I retired from the military. As it happened, I was in need of something good right about the time I could afford it. That turned out to be a pair of Cabela's Guide series insulated boots. At that time, they advertised the boots as being made from some English branded leather most used for soccer balls and sports gloves. I was amazed to wear a pair of boots that I could spend all day hiking in, and not be desperate to get them off by days end. So good, I bought a less-insulated pair of 11" high boots of the same line, dyed them black, and spit shined them to wear at work. Same good support, no feeling of relief when you take them off.
Here it is, 5 years after I retired.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score

I have never owned a pair of Danner boots of any kind though I am aware of their reputation for quality. In any footwear, the fundamental comfort factor is the matching of their last style to the shape of your foot. Patagonia wading boots are built wide presumably to facilitate extra socks in addition to the Neoprene bootie of waders. Having wide feet this suits me and I've been impressed with the design values of their wading boots. I have no idea how this partnership in producing this new product has affected its fit dimensions but I will strive to examine it at their booth in Edison.

dillon

Reaction score

Many years ago I had a pair (or two) of Danner wading boots as did many of my contemporaries. They were cool looking and comfortable, when wet. However, when they dried out after fishing they were stiff as a board the next day. They were hard to get on and killed your feet. We would hobble to the river and couldn't wait to get them in the water so they would loosen up. Of course the trick was to soak them adequately before fishing, but who would remember, or have time for that when getting up in the dark to stake out a steelhead run on the Deschutes or Kalama on a summer morning. Hence, the quip in my op. Of course, with today's modern materials, this undoubtedly, will not be an issue with these new boots. Or, any other comfort issues, for that matter. Personally, I don't see any risk if one wants to cough up the money to try them out. Just read Patagonia's satisfaction guaranteed warranty and rest assured they will back it up...

Redrock

Reaction score

Well I feel better. I owned a pair of Danner wading boots. I loved them after they got wet, then I wore them on a long, self guided Alaska float trip. For some reason the heel started rubbing my right Achilles. By the end of the trip I was having a hard time walking. I chunked them in a trash bin in Anchorage.

I used to be notorious for wearing cheap wading boots. I like a loose fitting, canvas type boot. I didn’t need or want the lateral support. All I cared about was grip. Cheap boots fit the bill. My first “wading boots” were high top Cons with felt glued to the soles. My buddy, who also made a pair, and I spray painted them brown just to spiff them up.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score

My first official wading boots (not counting sneakers) were made of thick leather with real wool piano felt soles by the Russell Moccasin Company of Wisconsin. If and when they dried out, they could not be worn again until well soaked and I would wear the felts out before a season ended...sending them back for refurbishment. My all-synthetic, hard rubber soled, gear toothed aluminum bared Foot Tractors are a far cry form my antique Russel's but I am certain I caught more trout wearing the old boots.

Redrock

Reaction score

Small world. I read this thread last Friday. It reminded me I need a new pair of wading boots. I wrote Russell over the weekend as I didn’t see the wading shoe in the catalogue. I wanted to see if Russell would make a custom pair with canvas uppers for me. The company wrote me back yesterday and stated it no longer made wading shoes.

osseous

Reaction score
Should have designed in some ankle support for $550~ I'll stick with my G3s

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

dillon

Reaction score
Please explain regarding ankle support. The boots aren't out yet to my knowledge...

We pay as much for waders and breathable, waterproof jackets and more for rods and reels. Why not boots that will be our last...

osseous

Reaction score
Aside from marketing jargon, what makes you think you won't wear these out- like any other pair of boots? The life of a wading boot is no picnic- wet, dry, wet, dry. Dirt getting ground into those seams... Sure, you can put a new sole on em- but is the sole the weak link? Not generally, since Vibram came into the market. And as to the ankle support concern- I flexed a pair and was sadly disappointed. There's nothing substantial there- just fabric. I like that they're made here- but aside from that, I don't see any innovation beyond the Danners I was wading in back in the 80s- which didn't have any ankle support either. Or a rubber rand to protect the sides of my feet...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk