Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  41
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Default Re: Danner/Patagonia Foot Tractors

I've been giving these a closer look lately and I have a summation of my thoughts:

I have Simms RiverTek 2's with Vibram soles that I will use as is. I don't want bars or studs in them. I will use them in boats.

I want a set of boots with bars or large aluminum discs.

I've looked at the previous model Foot Tractor, but can't find them in size 14 anywhere at the discounted price that some stores have them at.

Simms G3's are tempting. They have everything I want in a boot, but I have heard they don't hold the aluminum discs well. That seems to be the only knock on Simms boots.

Korkers are also tempting, but I have read of too many sole failures, or soles pulling off in mud. By all reviews, their "Triple Threat" aluminum bars are excellent. Also struggling to find them in my size. Have to wear a 15 in Korkers. Devil's Canyon an be had, but those don't appear to have much ankle support. Hatchbacks look a bit cumbersome and heavy. Wraptr seems to be the model I would want, but I'm not 100% sold on them either.

New Danner/Patagonia foot tractors look great and seem to check all the boxes. Only issue is they are $550. That's my only hangup.

I put Roktreads in my Simms G3s- had to thru bolt em with the included hardware, but they haven't moved, and the grip is fantastic.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I ahve been using Rock Treads for two seasons now. I have not tried the Foot Tractors. The Rock Treads made wading safe for me. Nothing else I have tried (felt, studs, felt with studs, plain Vibram) even comes close to the traction with Foot Treads.

4. Default Re: Danner/Patagonia Foot Tractors

I do wonder if geography and the difference in rock types and algae growth on river bottoms, as well as wading conditions, have a bearing on this.

On rivers in Oregon and Washington, I get better and more consistent traction from Felt and studded boots than from my Patagonia Foot tractors.

I do quite a bit of deep wading on rivers like the Deschutes, Rogue, North Umpqua, etc.

5. Default Re: Danner/Patagonia Foot Tractors

geography/ rock type and algae absolutely matter.
    slick Smooth rock is where I've found the rubber soles fail most frequently and studs or rock treads are a very reasonable solution - though if you are fishing form a boat the owner/guide may have strong opinions about their presence in their boat.
    I've actually used Patagonia's river crampons in those situations.
    There are several rivers - Russian on the Kenai for example - that I'd never dream of fishing with out metal of some sort on the soles.

The price is obviously more than a little rough, but a lifetime boot might be appealing. I'd need some assurance I am not going to pay for a brand new pair of Simms G3s to resole them, while I wait for their return.

There's no such thing as a lifetime boot- That's called "marketing"

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Overpriced boot! Itís ugly too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like the other thread about wading staffs, I regard wading boots as safety gear too. I have personally had better experiences with the Patagonia than the the Simms boots for both fit and durability but do wear and prefer the Simms G3 waders.

Kudos to Patagonia, they continued to produce a felt sole with carbide studs boot through the fake whirling disease/diddemo crises. The soles actually have outlasted the upper which I have had repaired by a skilled bootmaker but did add the 1st. gen. Foot Tractors. Both provide superior grip compared to other boots I've experienced. My pard Dillon who has a home on the Deschutes swears by Foot Tractors.

On occasion, when I do fish out of a guided drift boat, I inform the guide in advance that my boots are studded/barred and request a rubber or carpeted matt...no problem.

I have looked at but not donned the new Patagonia-Danner $500 boots but I have a few seasons before I have to contemplate new boots.

S&S, I recently replaced the aluminum bars on my second generation foot tractors with Rock Treads. I've waded 5 days on the Deschutes with them and have had very good traction. One day I fished with a walk in guide on the Warm Springs Indian reservation. He was wearing the new Danner/Patagonia's and was happy with them. The bars are a little different than the tractors and I didn't think they were ugly at all. Actually, quite the contrary. He is a big strong young man and a fearless wader easily wading currents where I will no longer go. We did a lot of walking on gravel, asphalt and climbed up and down rip rap banks. The boots were comfortable in these situations. I don't think bars or rocktreads will scratch a floor or poke holes in decks like spikes do. I will buy thes new boots in due time, without the bars and install rock treads on them.

11. Likes brook rookie liked this post
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast