Galvan Reels customer service

jujim

Reaction score
My son sent his 9 year Galvan 4 back for cleaning and drag replacement. The reel was returned in 8 days ,in brand new condition ...NO CHARGE. That's customer service. We'll be buying Galvan in the future. Chet

bocast

Reaction score
Galvan reels are beautiful, strong, reliable and offer a great drag with low start up inertia. Spool change out is a breeze. My wife and I love our Galvan Torque reels.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
I have a 22 year old OB4 that needs to go in for bearing replacement. The bearing gets rough after several hours on the lake in the toon. As original owner I believe I get a free rebuild. Some other galvans I bought used from ebay I believe have a $50 service fee. Love my galvans.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
For the record, I have a T6 Torque that has not needed repair. However, I like to learn form others experience too and understand where design weakness may lay. As I wrote in another post this morning, I never trust a reel again that has required repair due to a design or construction flaw.

jujim

Reaction score
It was just gritty sometimes and not consistant.It worked not just as new. There was NO CHARGE and FREE RETURN SHIPPING. Now it is like new!

winstonwt

Reaction score
I'm with sweetandsalt on this one, if any of my reels require service, I could not trust it anymore.I also have a galvan torque t5,abels,ross,hatch,hardy, 3tand ,redington.

fffl

Reaction score
the trouble I have had with my galvans is when they get wet you have no drag and if you let them air dry without washing the drag won't be smooth , it will be jerky or stick. that aren't sealed drags. I had so much trouble with them that I sold all of them. they work great as long as you don't get them wet.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
While I have largely gone to sealed drags I am not a maniac about them. I do fish open drag draw-bars at the high end and spring and pawls at the little end. The thing about open drags is they are impervious to water, get them wet and they work and when they dry there is no ill effect...nothing about them is impacted by water which is where they get used. Some reels claim to be sealed but, Nature to Anglers, if you can see the drag elements, it is not sealed. There is a lot to like about the Torque (except in larger sizes where it lacks rigidity) but a redesigned and sealed drag assembly would be a welcome upgrade.

el jefe

Reaction score
the trouble I have had with my galvans is when they get wet you have no drag and if you let them air dry without washing the drag won't be smooth , it will be jerky or stick. that aren't sealed drags. I had so much trouble with them that I sold all of them. they work great as long as you don't get them wet.
I have that happen with Ross, but never Galvan. Of note, I am only fishing freshwater in the lighter line weights.

tln1313

Reaction score
I have dunked my Galvans (T4&5, and Rush LT 6) without having any subsequent drag ‘stickiness’ Although sealed drags might prove to be a better choice in extreme and prolonged dunking (i.e. saltwater beach fishing for stripers,etc) I’m not fanatical about them. I still love the Galvans, clickers and my non sealed Abels. I know it’s been debated ad nauseum(not going there now) but having a non sealed drag gives me an opportunity to blow a a Sunday afternoon trying to locate roaming pawl springs and reassemble my reel after a thorough DIY clean and grease job :)

Last edited:

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Once again, Galvan was NOT in attendance at the big Eastern Edison Show. It is a handicap to them and to us their customers or potential costumers that they are absent to interface. Now that Winston owns Bauer, they have returned to the Show impressing me with their new model, SST. An interesting new non-sealed drag reel that I would not have considered until examining and talking about it is Ross's new version Animas.

Bigfly

Reaction score
I can trust my Galvan even with repairs.....and no other manufacturer has come close to their customer service.
At close to 300 days a year, after 15 years (4500 days) I think some shop time is OK.
Not a guy who "cares" for my equipment either...I use it hard....Surf casting for Perch, lake fishing for Lahonton's or big Bass, Big river casting/swinging for big bows and browns. Never washed, or lubed.
All my reels are Galvan. 4-10T No screaming click drag for me....rigged for silent running.....with a drag that will stop Walter.
S&S....maybe they don't need more customers......a solid west coast following might be enough.
Since they are made here....by a fishing family.........they might be maxed out in production, and smart enough not to over-extend. That alone would make them different enough to patronize.....and just a quick phone away.

Jim

Last edited: