What’s your favorite fly fishing pack?

Reaction score
Check out our new video where Steve gets a new pack. It been a while since our last video but let me know what your favorite pack is for fly fishing.
YouTube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll tell you what I'd like to see and that would be some posts containing text and some pictures instead of using the forum as a platform for a you tube channel. Sorry to be so blunt but I used to just delete videos that seemed to be personal channels using our forum as just a place to find viewers.

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
I'll tell you what I'd like to see and that would be some posts containing text and some pictures instead of using the forum as a platform for a you tube channel. Sorry to be so blunt but I used to just delete videos that seemed to be personal channels using our forum as just a place to find viewers.
Or at least post some actual content. People that drop in and use the forum as free ad space for their wannabe too cool for school fishing videos don’t actually contribute to any discussions or sense of real communication. They’re simply here to drive viewers to their vanity projects. I’d support deleting posts like these.

TenkaraBill

Reaction score
It’s funny I use my cheap chest pack way more than my Orvis for the same reason.

Reaction score
Understood. I would be lying if I said I didn’t want people to see our videos. If it needs to be removed I completely understand.

Car7x

Reaction score
I just don't open 'em, prefer to read. Can sort out the BS a lot faster and move on that way.

For other guy's boats, I've got an older sage thermowelded zip T massive lumber pack, works as a small boat bag; a small sage chest pack, about the size of a VHS tape - wear that around my waist on the off side hip or small of back on the casting deck in a boat, with fly box and tippet spool. Both were cheap when they changed colors on those models.

On foot, either the 1st gen patagucchi fishing sling, or my newest, the thermowelded dry-bag sling they just blew out (orange) for 1/2 price.

I have landed on slings, but after 4 shoulder procedures, sometimes wish mine were ambidextrous. I fish more 2 handed now, and when 1 handed switch hands back and forth depending on injuries, situation and fatigue.

Although I haven't seen an ambi sling with the features I like (starting with at least 40% discount) I can see that after a long day I think would be nice to put the weight on a different shoulder once in awhile!

Reaction score
I just don't open 'em, prefer to read. Can sort out the BS a lot faster and move on that way.

For other guy's boats, I've got an older sage thermowelded zip T massive lumber pack, works as a small boat bag; a small sage chest pack, about the size of a VHS tape - wear that around my waist on the off side hip or small of back on the casting deck in a boat, with fly box and tippet spool. Both were cheap when they changed colors on those models.

On foot, either the 1st gen patagucchi fishing sling, or my newest, the thermowelded dry-bag sling they just blew out (orange) for 1/2 price.

I have landed on slings, but after 4 shoulder procedures, sometimes wish mine were ambidextrous. I fish more 2 handed now, and when 1 handed switch hands back and forth depending on injuries, situation and fatigue.

Although I haven't seen an ambi sling with the features I like (starting with at least 40% discount) I can see that after a long day I think would be nice to put the weight on a different shoulder once in awhile!
I just don’t think I would like having to swing the pack around every time I needed something. But truth be told I over pack. But I’m glad to see that nothing can keep you from fishing. Does two handed make a considerable difference shoulder pain/fatigue?

Car7x

Reaction score
Hi! I'm a newbie Spey so am sure I'm over working it. I don't have shoulder issues with either casting mode, it is beat up wrists and forearms that are much less stressed by the 2 handlers. I just mean the slight weight - I don't over pack, and often leave the pack on the bank - of a sling on one shoulder is apparent. Easy to spin them around on your torso to get at stuff...Happy trails!

City Rat

Reaction score
Streams in the GWNF, SNP,Potomac, Rappahanock and
I'm also new to fly fishing but not to hiking with a pack. I ended up with the Fishpond Wasatch.
Wasatch Tech Pack

Basically its a decent fishing vest with a Camelbak style hydration bladder pack built in. Just enough room in the pack for rain jacket, fleece pullover, gloves and snacks. So far so good. A two liter hydration bladder slips in behind the backpad but outside of the pack portion so it leaves room in the pack for plenty of stuff for a day on the river.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm also new to fly fishing but not to hiking with a pack. I ended up with the Fishpond Wasatch. Basically its a decent fishing vest with a Camelbak style hydration bladder pack built in. Just enogh room in the pack for rain jacket, fleece pullover, gloves and snacks. So far so good
I’ve always been a fan of fishpond but never could pull the trigger because of how expensive some of their gear is. Steve is a history teacher and rakes in the gift cards from his students. Being free takes some of the stress away for sure.

denver1911

Reaction score
I like the links to videos. I don’t go looking cor this stuff on Youtube. I come here for my flyfishing information and entertainment. If someone here points me somewhere else for some good info, it works well for me. That said, I didn’t watch this video. My favorite pack is a Fishpond Westwater Guide pack. I added two can holders to the belt to hold various items .. sometimes even cans. It’s waterproof and I need that. It if wasn’t for the waterproof need, I’d use a Mountainsmith “Tour.” Holds linch, rain gear, water filter, etc. flies, tippet, etc. goes in shirt pockets.

And to keep Ard happy ... here’s a pic of the Fishpond in use:83306DEF-FD19-4BF2-97CA-9A4D487973E8.jpg

City Rat

Reaction score
Streams in the GWNF, SNP,Potomac, Rappahanock and
I’ve always been a fan of fishpond but never could pull the trigger because of how expensive some of their gear is. Steve is a history teacher and rakes in the gift cards from his students. Being free takes some of the stress away for sure.

No their stuff isn't cheap but as you say I was able to cut some of the sharp pain by using Amazon gift cards from Christmas.;)

Kata2012

Reaction score
I have an Umpqua Overlook Check pack that I really like. It fits everything I need with room to spare and if I need to add more stuff for a long day of fishing or changing temps, it has a small backpack that attaches to it that keeps all of the unnecessary gear out of the way.

Reaction score
I have an Umpqua Overlook Check pack that I really like. It fits everything I need with room to spare and if I need to add more stuff for a long day of fishing or changing temps, it has a small backpack that attaches to it that keeps all of the unnecessary gear out of the way.
I have the same pack. I love it. Unfortunately I have too much in there but I can’t bring myself to leave any of it behind.

Chefchivo

Reaction score
I’ve been running a Fishpond San Juan and a Kifaru Quandary. I had a simms waypoints sling that was nice but wasn’t for me. I do love vedavoo packs. The beast is a killer sling pack

pati

Reaction score
My favourite is my Filson, ideal unless it's raining heavily:
filson.jpg

If I want more freedom around the shoulders and for when it's raining a lot, I also have the fishpond thunderhead lumbar pack. Thesis a workhorse and comes with me on any "hardcore" fishing day where deep or tricky wading is involved (being submersible, it can also be a buoyancy aid...).

I also use a fishpond wastewater chest/backpack system on days when I use public transports to go fishing (mostly these are few hours long fishing session): waders, water sandwiches in the back pack (as well as an extra reel as I mostly use a silk line, not good when it s time to fish streamer... ), and the fly box in the chest pack!