Need advice on reels

flytie09

Reaction score
I'm a Hardy guy...so my vote is the Ultralite DD....but I wanted to point out a few things.

Hardy issued several versions of the Ultralite over the past 7 or so years. CA DD, DD, SDS, FW DD, MA DD, MTX, CC, ASR, SDSL....all different in their design and features. So I just wanted to be clear we're comparing the right reel.

I personally own the DD 10000. It is light, well made, and a looker to my eyes. I use it on my larger Spey rods.

It does however, not have a fully sealed drag which the Grande does appear to have. Both are machined aluminum......and I dare say the Grande has a stronger drag than the DD 10000..... The Ultralite DD 10000 is a giant of a reel at 5" in diameter.

I've not had my hands on the Grande......but I don't think it's as big of a slam dunk the Hardy wins. Again.....I just am not digging the looks of it or the Behemoth....but from a pure drag standpoint.....it rivals others in it's class at a much lesser price point. It all depends on your taste and what you're using it for.

Maybe it's name cache......but Hardy wins for me.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
In the first place, OP, this is really a question that belongs under Reels where it would get more notice than Reviews (which it is not). Secondly, you did not specify the application and habitat your reel will be used for making suggestions difficult.

mjkirshner

Reaction score

Blackstonefly

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
" Light as a feather" I would not go that far.....I think that the approx 1 1/2 oz weight difference is not a big thing when you take into consideration that the rod being used may actually balance a little better. The Hardys are good reels but The Grande is a great reel which is totally Saltwater safe and has a Sealed Drag system and a smoother and stronger drag than the Hardy. Its looks may take some getting used to, But it is No Question a great reel with IMO a Warranty that will have a Faster and less expensive service when and if you ever need one... This also has great backing capacity, My choice would be the Grande.

Kach

Reaction score

tcorfey

Reaction score
Stay away from the Hardy Ultralite. I have three of them and tso have fallen apart. Customer service is nonexistent so I just throw those reels away.
Kach, you are responding to a post from back in 2019 I am pretty sure the op made a decision by now. I also saw your other post today with the same wording, I guess you must really be upset with Hardy. I currently have five of the Ultralite CA DD reels in the 7000 and 9000 series and they are all excellent reels with no issues for me. I am sorry these reels did not work out for you but, If you are still intent on throwing yours away can I instead ask that you to send them to me I can put them to use. I am thinking I can probably get them fixed up and then donate them to a worthy cause. Best regards.

BillNye

Reaction score
Since we are necroing old threads I vote for the redington! I have a couple of behemoths that I use in salt and they are beastly. Would love a grande!