Sage Foundation 590-4

mjkirshner

Reaction score
Until now my only 5-wt has been a Redington CT travel rod, which is convenient for packing in a suitcase to take on a trip, but the extra ferrules in the 6-piece design make it a little tip-heavy, and the medium action doesn't handle the wind here in Florida very well. I decided to get a 5-wt for freshwater kayak fishing that could also pull double-duty for light saltwater fishing from my SUP. I know a 5 is light for salt, but it would only be for casting bead chain Clousers under mangroves and along ICW shorelines, and not targeting anything big. I was not looking for a premium rod, but also did not want to buy something cheap that would end up being a disappointment (been there, done that; sold it; done it again, and sold that one, too). I tried the Echo BAG, but found it heavy and awkward. One of the online retailers was offering 20% off any rod, which put the Foundation in the right price range; the fact that it was an American-made rod at an import price was a huge bonus. I was not surprised at the quality of the components and workmanship, or that the rod casts very smoothly and accurately, but I have been very surprised at how versatile it has proven to be, and how well it handles moderately windy conditions. I have cast the rod lined with 5-wt SA Mastery MPX, 6-wt Rio Bonefish, 6-wt Orvis Hydros Bass, 7-wt SA Redfish Warm, and even an OPST 225-grain Commando head; the rod handles them all. It struggles a little with the 7-wt, but that was just a test, and I don't actually intend to cast that line on it. It casts the 5-wt and both 6-wt lines beautifully, but seems best matched with either the MPX, which is a half-size heavy, or the Rio 6-wt. I ended up pairing it with the 6-wt Rio Bonefish on a Sage 3250, so it is a 100% Sage outfit - which appeals to my inner Obsessive-Compulsive.:D - and is ready to handle saltwater if necessary. I've only had the chance to try it on bass and bluegill near home, but so far, it is a winner. I would highly recommend the Foundation as a solid all-around freshwater rod.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree :)

I have one too with a Sage Click for a reel and a RIO WF line. I don't have a lot of use for light rods here but wanted to try a modern 9 X 5 to see how it compared to my 1994 Orvis PM-10 of the same size & weight rating and I like it. I'm not very good at breaking these things down in detail but can say they are very powerful 5 weights.