Yakima doublehaul??

duker

Reaction score
I'd like to see those in the flesh. I've got a Yak canoe rack on my Tacoma. They sound pretty slick, if a bit spendy.

Scott

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd like to see those in the flesh. I've got a Yak canoe rack on my Tacoma. They sound pretty slick, if a bit spendy.

Scott
All the good stuff is I think, every now and then you find a diamond in the rough but basically we have to pony up for the goodies :)

I used Yakima towers with Mtn. Bike, ski and canoe attachments all the way back in the 80's when you had to special order where I lived. They were salty then so I'd guess the rod racks will stay the course. BTW, I didn't read the linked review...…...

Reaction score
Not that much more than the rod vaults from Denver Outfitters.

exactly, and they're far superior. I've been using mine for the last several weeks and absolutely love it! I currently have it set up with just the shorter version since I drive a little Prius, but do have the full extensions just in case I feel like throwing it on there.

Reaction score
10'. much longer than that, I'd suspect there would be structural issues when driving at speed

hollisd

Reaction score
If you took the money the DoubleHaul will require you to pay extra at the pump you'd be able to buy a premium fly rod outfit annually. Racks like this annihilate gas mileage.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
That rod vault looks pretty awesome!
I have had the Denver Outfitters rod vault on my Subaru Outback for several years now, the only issue I have had is that the rods will slide back while driving, then when you go to open the hatch you have to put your fingers in to push the rods back in place to get the latch to fully open. I haven't really noticed that much difference in the gas mileage. The convenience of having a rod fully rigged and ready to go when you get to the river is awesome, especially for a retired person. If your a weekend warrior, I don't think it would make much of a difference.

coug

Reaction score
I want to see one in person. I have a full-size diesel pickup so not too worried about mileage. I have been looking for something like this for a while. I spend 5 - 7 days at a time camped out fishing during summer, and do this for 5 to 6 weeks. My truck has an 8' bed but it also has three or four dog boxes plus other gear. I have been using rod carriers where I could break the rods in half and put them in the bed, but that gets to be a real pain when you are driving to another run every hour or two. It also means putting my two-hand rods away completely each time we move. The Yakima sure seems better built than the others based on the pics, although it does not seem like a two-hander would fit even when broken down because of the reel.

hollisd

Reaction score
Actually, it doesn't. I've lost maaaaybe 2mpg
I had a Suzuki Swift right after college. It got a million miles to the gallon till I put a Thule roof rack on to transport my road bicycle and the rack alone killed my gas mileage. Now imagine with a bike or two up top how much damage it did but the rack only will have a negative effect on gas mileage. The DoubleHall especially if you leave it up top year round will be noticeable.

Another data point, my brother has an Audi Q7 with a roof rack for bikes. He said the same that the rack made a significant difference in what he pays at the pump and the effect on an suv is extreme compared to a subcompact like the Swift.

denver1911

Reaction score
Roof racks alone dropped by wife’s Subaru Forrester by 5% .. 1.5 mpg. At $2/gallon driving 20k/year, that’s $70/year or almost $6/month. I wouldn’t pay $6/month just to leave my roof racks on. I take them off and put them in the garage. Then I see those claiming for greater environmental responsibility driving around with not just roof racks, but kayak carriers and bike attachments left on consistently. They should do their part before asking .. no, demanding .. that others take action. Sorry for the rant, but just wanted to add a data point.

Reaction score
1.5-2mpg isn't exactly what I'd call "annilihating" one's gas mileage.

of course it's going to ding it a little bit, so does driving with your windows open. BTW, the new design of the crossbars are such that it doesn't impact it significantly (designed more like an airplane wing).

I

ikankecil

I have the 2-rod version of the RiverSmith rod carrier and I can live with a slight reduction in gas mileage - some of us fish year round so taking it off every other day would be a hassle and that little two tube version is hardly a Thule roof rack with bike on it.

coug

Reaction score
I finally got the double haul as a fathers day gift. It has spent about 10 days on rough forest service roads. I never bought one of those carriers that stick to the hood of my truck because there is a lot of dust and thrown rock on the roads we drive, and I often like to keep more than one rod strung up and would not want to leave others on the hood while I am fishing.

The double haul is great! Was easy to install and the thing is bullet-proof. The rods lay on their side so the guides do not get banged around, and they give you rubber "protectors" to slip over the rod just in case. The reels are in a padded box. A big plus is that it is designed to carry two-hand rods. I had two or three single hand, and one or two two-hand rods, in it at all times. Just pull up to a spot, and pull the fully-rigged rod I wanted to fish with. The dirt roads were very dusty but the rods stayed clean, and no sign of blemishes from bouncing around.

The only drawback is that I am only 5'7", so need to carry a small step ladder. Not that big of deal for us, as we do that when our three dogs are in their kennels in the back so we can reach them through the side windows in our truck canopy. Overall nothing but positives for the double haul!

mtboiler

Reaction score
I don't get it!! I can be show up to a river and be rigged up in less than 5 minutes. Plus, I might nymph fish, throw a streamer or a dry. Is 5 minutes that big of a deal? or is it all about hey look at me I put a $700 rod rack on my vehicle. Usually I don't hit send when I write things like this. but I think I will!!

JoJer

Reaction score
I asked about the price because this product is the most recent and best answer to a problem a lot of us have faced: How to get the gear to the spot undamaged and/or who gets to hang out at the truck and keep an eye on the gear while the rest of us do a grocery run?
I've lived and fished and hunted in Idaho for nearly 40 years now. Raised on the east coast, and having taken a hundred or more vehicle burglary reports, I'm very conscious of walking away from the truck in the middle of nowhere. I've never come up missing something from the back or had a break in, but I'd be leery of leaving an open bed full of gear by itself in a parking lot.
Most of my rods and reels combined wouldn't fetch the price of one high-end outfit. But it would still hurt a lot to have to replace them.