Fishpond Waterdance vs Gunnison vs Switchback? Waist packs in General?

cooutlaw

Reaction score
So I have been nursing a hammered right ankle and spending some time organizing gear and getting my set-ups cleaned up while I have some downtime.

I'm old so my original and still yet go to is a vest. My wife also got me a new sling pack for a gift and now I am searching for a new waist pack.

The idea (mine) is this: There is no perfect do all/everything in every instance vest/pack set-up they all have positives and negatives. I think we all have likely burned through a few packs searching for a "best" for us scenario. So, like many others, after much trial and debate, my take is to have a vest, a sling, and a waist pack all at the ready that I can alternate between as needed and simply grab and go with the one that's best for whatever instance I'm fishing. With the only needed swap out between the three being fly boxes.

I have narrowed down my waist pack choices to the above three fishpond models- I would like to hear from any members that have personally used these packs and garner feedback.

I know there are a pile of options for waist packs, Simms, Umpqua, Patagonia, etc. I have pretty much checked them all out and landed on these three as options, but if I'm missing something with other packs I'm open to hear about them. I'm usually a Simm's guy, but I just haven't been liking their offerings they last few years, they seem to be getting less dialed in on the small details than the older models used to be. Perhaps just too modern for this old guy.

Important features to me include:

comfort (quality waist belt, not just buckle strap, etc.)
Water bottle (external) storage (separate accessory on switchback)
4+ fly box capacity 2-med 2-lrg minimum
rain jacket/lunch/gloves/sun protection/wading staff storage
work tray preferred (negative on switchback model unless adding accessory pack)
keys, wallet, phone, storage- maybe small camera if not phone
I prefer internal organization as I don't like a bunch of items hanging externally like Christmas tree ornaments
Net attachment of some kind

Looking forward to hearing personal use experiences.

zjory

Reaction score
I have been through a dozen packs the last few years getting to exactly what I want. I’ve had multiple sling packs, backpacks and waist packs. I think that you need a good backpack for hiking and a good waist pack for everything else, I don’t think sling packs fill a meaningful gap between the two.

I have also narrowed it down to Fishpond, they make the best packs by far. I fished with a Waterdance for the past two years and really liked it. Upgraded to a Gunnison 6 months ago for the extra room. The Gunnison wears just as comfortably, doesn’t feel much bigger but stores twice as much. I like to have a backpack for 10+ mile hikes, but anything under that is easily handled by the Gunnison. My setup on it is two large fly boxes, a Ruger Alaskan, a sandwich, tippet, leader, gunk, keys and cellphone in the main pocket. Workbench pockets it NZ yarn, weights, mud, leather man, lighter, cigar cutter and cigars. Also load up the foam with streamers and hoppers this time of year. There are two large water bottle pockets - I put a water bottle in one and two beers in the other. The two strap pockets hold a small fly box and a small pair of binoculars. I can also easily stuff a rain jacket in the large pocket when needed.

Attached a picture with my setup (minus sandwich and cigar because I just got back from fishing) and another picture with the Gunnison, Waterdance and Arroyo for comparative sizes.

wthorpe

Reaction score
I do NOT have experience with Fishpond bags but like others i continually search for the best option for carrying around all the stuff i need for fishing. I am a waist pack person. i tried a slingpack off and on for two years, and it is now hanging in the closet where my heirs can do with it as they please. I found a non-Fishpond waist pack i really like, the Simms Z pack. Dry Creek Z Fishing Hip Pack | SIMMS Fishing Products It is different in obvious ways from the fishpond bags, mainly it is waterproof, and lacks internal pockets beyond one that holds licenses and a phone and keys. I think it is a tiny bit bigger than teh largest Fishpond at 11 L. I like internal pockets a lot. i also like keeping my stuff dry a lot too. I have solved the internal org probblem presented by most real waterproof bags my putting stuff from each missing pocket in a separate little quart size clear plastic storage bag like you put leftovers in. Leaders and tippet, dry fly treatment, bobbers and split shot, sun screen bug spray TP etc, each in its own little "compartment." And at least tentatively i am really sold on clear plastic bags with this org system. It works for me. YMMV.

tomsakai

Reaction score
I ordered the Waterdance pack from my local fly shop and spent 1/2 hour with it really trying hard to like it. In the end though I found that it didn’t have enough in terms of internal pockets to suit me. I ended up going with a smaller pack (Fishpond Blue River) that will work for me but won’t fulfill your needs. I always carry a small backpack anyway to carry lunch, water, etc.

Reaction score
6 winters using a Fishpond Waterdance and still love it! Zero issues.
Carries everything you need with the exception of the raincoat.
On days when I need to carry more or just want the convenience of a vest i use the Fishpond Gore Range Tech Pack.
Firm believer in Fishpond products- High quality gear- Also have their backpack, reel bag, thermometer and briefcase.

Reactions: CRB

losthwy

Montrose, Co.
Reaction score
I will also recommend the Fishpond Guide pack. Only thing I would change on them is some way to store a rain jacket on the bottom.

Reactions: CRB

Lotsoftrouts

Reaction score
How about waterproof feature of those - this is my main concern... when you knee in the water, taking "low prifile", the pack will be partly submerged. Have you ever needed any of waterproof waist packs for that reason?

lookard

Reaction score
I use a Mountainsmith Dry Tour with the strapettes. Its really comfortable and I integrate it with the umpqua wader chest pack directly onto the straps.