Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  18
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Simms Aluminum Wading Staff

One of the very few items in our arsenal not categorized for angler height, weight or breaking strength. It would seem our needs might vary based on application. We value light weight so this might be the time to offer more than one product to please all.

2. Likes brook rookie liked this post

My review of the Simms alu staff is glowing. Apart from my rod and reel its the best fly fishing purchase that Ive made. I would never trust it putting more than 1/3 of my weight @ 155 lbs wet but its a tool for support. Used smartly you should never need to put your full body weight into the staff. I like it for wading a tricky river for the first time. Im able to fish more efficiently and cover water which puts me on fish faster. Wobbling and schlopping through water clumsily is for when I leave the staff in the car.

hollised, I weigh more than you and have bad knees. When crossing a channel on a larger river with current, I need to be able to rely on leaning into a staff for security. My view is this is a product category where the strength/reliability should exceed expectations for safety purposes.

5. Likes spm liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    hollised, I weigh more than you and have bad knees. When crossing a channel on a larger river with current, I need to be able to rely on leaning into a staff for security. My view is this is a product category where the strength/reliability should exceed expectations for safety purposes.
    Have you tried your wife's carbon fiber model of the Simms? Sounds like a major upgrade to the Aluminum.

No, I have not though it is a nicer product in a few ways. Simms has informed me when I asked that it is stronger but also more brittle than the aluminum version. It shares the design flaw of excessive protrusion on course. I'm going fishing tomorrow for a few days and bringing my old Folstaff with me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brownbass View Post
    I have used my Simms aluminum shafted staff for four years now. The only rouble I can tell of is it pulling apart in deep sand. It could be it needs new shock cord as I use it almost all of the time. It has kept me dry. I tend to wear it towards the back so it doesn't get in the way to much.

Bill
    Hi Bill, I had the same problem with my Simms Staff with wet soft ground and sand. I rotated the thumb clamp clockwise to apply more pressure when in the locked position, I have mine adjusted so it takes a bit of torque to seat it--problem solved and no dislodging of the joints at all. Seems like myself and S&S have similar knee issues-and my well being be it wading lakes or walking the banks depends on my wading staff. I use a cane when needed in my normal day to day life.

Hope it helps!

Denny

9. Thanks brownbass thanked for this post
    Likes Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

Born beneath the proper celestial alignment I spent about 4 1/2 hours in one of the most swift - cobble strewn - deep and difficult rivers within a 150 mile radius of home recently and that carbon staff functioned like a Swiss watch. Anytime at all when the bottom is at all treacherous that staff is used without my having a single complaint

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

11. Likes jeepster II, dennyk, ia_trouter, coug liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ard View Post
    Born beneath the proper celestial alignment I spent about 4 1/2 hours in one of the most swift - cobble strewn - deep and difficult rivers within a 150 mile radius of home recently and that carbon staff functioned like a Swiss watch. Anytime at all when the bottom is at all treacherous that staff is used without my having a single complaint
    Forget the barometric pressure and fish activity-I gotta check out that celestial alignment thing!

Thanks for the subtle tip Ard!

Denny

13. Likes ia_trouter liked this post
    Blog Entries

I can't say it'll work for everyone but it's been working for me all these years Denny

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

15. Likes coug, dennyk liked this post

Same here. Huge improvement for me over my previous staff. The length in the holster does not cause me any problems. It might with my two hand rods but I have different needs when using those and just use a Sharpe's that sinks.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast