Simms Aluminum Wading Staff

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
This review is reproduced from the Wading Staff thread up under General Discussions to reach the more dedicated audience that habituate this Tackle sub-section.

I have used my replacement, current model, Simms Wading Staff daily for three weeks now. There is no question that even on relatively easy to wade rivers, I benefit from the additional support provided by a staff. Flows were a little on the high side upon our arrival in Montana which, in concert with the reality of my deteriorated knees would have had me going for a swim without one. But is the Simms the "right" one? Previously I've used a Folstaff, good and reliable except for the probability that if jammed between subsurface structure, the sections can and do pull apart. The locking mechanism and strong interior cord of the Simms (aluminum) model prevent that. That locking system, a spring loaded, rounded pin that is supposed to pop into a matching hole in the upper section of the staff is somewhat balky and can take a few pulls with a little rotation to align correctly and set up. My wife's carbon version seems to lock on the first try but my aluminum one takes a bit of effort. Therefore, I set it up on the bank rather than out in the middle of the river. Another good reason for pre-set-up is when holstered in its neoprene sheath, the adjustable handle section protrudes awkwardly. I mount the sheath on my wader belt and the staff attaches to the sheath via a sturdy Simms branded Gear Keeper, oddly an extra cost option which should be included. The protruding handle can easily become entangled in my vest straps or dangling lanyards...like I said, awkward.

T19 024 Simms Staff vs.jpg

Once assembled the rubberized handle is easy to grip and comfortable and the smaller diameter of the staff's tubing is less water resistant than the thicker Folstaff but, for the same reason, in heavier currents, vibrates more. This did not bother me except that it implied the staff might not be as strong as the type with thicker, heavier walled construction.

Unfortunately, a circumstance occurred where this strength was put to the test. Dillon and I where exploring an estuarian section of a smaller river where it flowed into a lake. There is no real path to the mouth of this steram and the low gradient delta it formed was very silty. The hike in was mucky but OK, no, we found no fishing opportunity at the mouth but did enjoy observing a family of otter.

W19C 029 Re Rock Otter Family vs.jpg

On the way out though I erred badly and mired myself in deep, sticky silt which, the more I struggled to eradicate myself from, the deeper I sank. Where I alone on this adventure, I may well not be writing this today instead be becoming a fossil for future archeologists to study the vest contents of and fly rod type used back then. However, between my staff and more so, Dillon's valiant, mud encrusted efforts, my life was saved. Well, really more Dillon than the staff.

Where the Nylon webbing attaches with a fitting into the rubberized handle, it broke free and subsequently, striving to leverage myself using the staff to assist Dillon's efforts, the staff bent but did not break in half. Latter, back in camp finally, we tried to re-bend it straight but not quite.

T19 022 Simms Staff vs.jpg

T19 018 Simms Staff vs.jpg

Extracting chards of ice from the cooler, far easier and better than extracting me from the mud, and pouring us a brace of stiff whiskies garnered far higher praise than I'm inclined to lavish on this limited functionality wading staff, appropriate for light weight, casual duty only.

silver creek

Reaction score
I also jammed the tip of my Folstaff into mud and had difficult time extracting it. But it has saved my butt several times because it can deploy automatically when I find I need it when wading.

I have had my Folstaff refurbished several times over the past 40+ years and individual sections and the shock cord are replaceable.

My question is which wading staff do you recommend, the Simms or the 3/4" Folstaff if you could only have one.

coug

Reaction score
I bent a folstaff like that one time taking a bad fall. I sprung for the carbon version of the Simms that your wife has on the "cry once" theory, and have been very happy with the purchase. The only negative is that it can be hard to get the staff out of the holster, so like you, I set it up on the bank. Mine clicks into place every time; sounds like composition is not the only difference between the aluminum and carbon models.

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
Great report but sorry for the carnage. I'm also fairly new using the simms staff with just a couple months of small stream fishing and the san juan river.

I had all the same issues except for breakage ss had. There were several times when I felt I couldn't bear my full weight on it or else bend or crinkle the tubing. I had to have two free hands to fully deploy the staff and rotate the handle part to align the detent ball into position most of the time. It took two hands to get the folded staff back in the soft, flimsy sheath. There was constant interference between the handle sticking up along my belt side and my sling pack. The staff got in the way of rotating the pack to the front. Eventually I put the staff on my casting side and created more problems with deployment and free arm swing. After a day of trial and error the sheath was put away probably for good. My sling pack has a useless net pouch that the simms staff fit into and using a safely pin to secure the bottom of the pouch that became a very nice alternative to store the staff. I can pull out the staff like an arrow from a quiver and replace by slinging the pack to the front. I plan on adding an extended stop to the bottom of the pouch in place of the safety pin so the staff rides lower in the pack.

After two months of use I think the simms staff has its place in my fishing although I really love my 22 year old, pinned together folstaf, held to my backside by magnets so I can wade around when not in use, which seems to be less and less every year.

Although my folstaf would come apart at the worst time I remember simply jamming the sections back together and be on my way. I didn't like shocking a section by banging on a rock to fold it up though. I do need a staff most of the time but during longer hikes I need to stow it away to save my arm, wrist and elbow from use.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
You know I'm a carbon fiber user but I must say with almost 7 years on it I have had no issues whatever. Always extend while on shore...…..….

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
7 years is impressive for any piece of gear, Ard...mine made it to about 2 1/2 weeks. Silver, I've had far more experience with Folstaff than the Simms but its potential to pull apart when you need it the most is a fundamental issue. Frankly I can only grade either of them as barely acceptable.

I have sent Simms a link to the 16 page Overthinking Staff thread up in GD yesterday and await a response...I will reproduce it when it comes so, Ard, we may get to 20 pages yet.

I do have a product idea for them though. Eliminate the badly protruding adjustable length handle and return to making two fixed lengths, average and tall. Increase the diameter and wall thickness of the sections for rigidity and durability and redesign the lock mechanism to be more positive and robust. Include the Gear Keeper as part of the unit. I will address this with them but await their response first.

I intend to re-examine all the collapsible staffs offered to us but failing a superior design, a heavy duty ski pole with the cup removed, though inconvenient, may be most reliable...we are, after all, talking about a safety device.

flav

Reaction score
I used the original aluminum Simms staff for several years and loved it. When I lost my old staff I looked to replace it with another Simms, but they'd redesigned it. I disliked the new model so much that for several years I went with an old ski pole instead.
I now have the carbon fiber version. It's better than the old aluminum model in some respects, not as good in others, but so much nicer than the present Simms aluminum model.

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
I understand the concerns about the Folstaff pulling apart if it gets wedged in rocks. I recently had my old one refurbished at the factory and they now use doubled bungee cord and it seems tighter and firmer overall.

It may not be perfect, but I have more confidence in it than any of the alternatives, especially with the new cords. It is the only one other than solid wood that I have believed could really support my 250 pounds.

All of the others strike me as flimsy.

Don

dharkin

Reaction score
It all comes down to comfort, ease of deployment, and confidence in the equipment that you choose IMO. The Simms looks too long to be worn comfortably when not in use. I bought a Folstaff about 6 years ago and love it.

brownbass

Reaction score
I have used my Simms aluminum shafted staff for four years now. The only rouble I can tell of is it pulling apart in deep sand. It could be it needs new shock cord as I use it almost all of the time. It has kept me dry. I tend to wear it towards the back so it doesn't get in the way to much.

Bill

ia_trouter

Reaction score
One of the very few items in our arsenal not categorized for angler height, weight or breaking strength. It would seem our needs might vary based on application. We value light weight so this might be the time to offer more than one product to please all.

hollisd

Reaction score
My review of the Simms alu staff is glowing. Apart from my rod and reel it´s the best fly fishing purchase that I´ve made. I would never trust it putting more than 1/3 of my weight @ 155 lbs wet but it´s a tool for support. Used smartly you should never need to put your full body weight into the staff. I like it for wading a tricky river for the first time. I´m able to fish more efficiently and cover water which puts me on fish faster. Wobbling and schlopping through water clumsily is for when I leave the staff in the car.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
hollised, I weigh more than you and have bad knees. When crossing a channel on a larger river with current, I need to be able to rely on leaning into a staff for security. My view is this is a product category where the strength/reliability should exceed expectations for safety purposes.

coug

Reaction score
hollised, I weigh more than you and have bad knees. When crossing a channel on a larger river with current, I need to be able to rely on leaning into a staff for security. My view is this is a product category where the strength/reliability should exceed expectations for safety purposes.
Have you tried your wife's carbon fiber model of the Simms? Sounds like a major upgrade to the Aluminum.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
No, I have not though it is a nicer product in a few ways. Simms has informed me when I asked that it is stronger but also more brittle than the aluminum version. It shares the design flaw of excessive protrusion on course. I'm going fishing tomorrow for a few days and bringing my old Folstaff with me.

dennyk

Reaction score
I have used my Simms aluminum shafted staff for four years now. The only rouble I can tell of is it pulling apart in deep sand. It could be it needs new shock cord as I use it almost all of the time. It has kept me dry. I tend to wear it towards the back so it doesn't get in the way to much.

Bill
Hi Bill, I had the same problem with my Simms Staff with wet soft ground and sand. I rotated the thumb clamp clockwise to apply more pressure when in the locked position, I have mine adjusted so it takes a bit of torque to seat it--problem solved and no dislodging of the joints at all. Seems like myself and S&S have similar knee issues-and my well being be it wading lakes or walking the banks depends on my wading staff. I use a cane when needed in my normal day to day life.

Hope it helps!

Denny

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Born beneath the proper celestial alignment I spent about 4 1/2 hours in one of the most swift - cobble strewn - deep and difficult rivers within a 150 mile radius of home recently and that carbon staff functioned like a Swiss watch. Anytime at all when the bottom is at all treacherous that staff is used without my having a single complaint :)

dennyk

Reaction score
Born beneath the proper celestial alignment I spent about 4 1/2 hours in one of the most swift - cobble strewn - deep and difficult rivers within a 150 mile radius of home recently and that carbon staff functioned like a Swiss watch. Anytime at all when the bottom is at all treacherous that staff is used without my having a single complaint :)
Forget the barometric pressure and fish activity-I gotta check out that celestial alignment thing! :)

Thanks for the subtle tip Ard!

Denny

coug

Reaction score
Same here. Huge improvement for me over my previous staff. The length in the holster does not cause me any problems. It might with my two hand rods but I have different needs when using those and just use a Sharpe's that sinks.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk