Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  14
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gloomis Fan Boy

Default Re: Gloomis Fan Boy

Greatly due to this forum and particularly through sweetandsalt's generous edification I've developed an interest in the development of early graphite rods and, over the past two years, have picked up several models from Loomis's past.

c.1974-1980 - Partridge 'Black Shadow' - Built on a Lamiglas '96% Graphite' blank. 9', #6.

c.1980-1982 - Loomis Composites - '96% Graphite' . 10', #8/9. 2 pc.
    Loomis Composites - '96% Graphite'. 10' 6", #8/9. 2 pc.

c.1982-198? - LCI 'Striker II' - Loomis '96% Graphite'. 8' 6", #6.

c. 1985 - Marcus Warwick 15ft #10/11, 3 pc, 'The Tweed' - Phenix Boron/IM6 blank built by G. Loomis.

c.1987 - 1990 - Custom G. Loomis 'IMX' - 9', #5/6.
    Simpsons of Turnford - 'Anglo-American' T400 'IMX'. Possible Loomis 'IMX' blank. 9' 6", #6.
    FlyLogic 'Optimum' custom - Possible Loomis IMX blank. 9', #8/9. 3 pc.

G. Loomis 'Streamdance' 'GLX' (HLS) - 9' 6", #6.

Other than the two LCs, I've yet to spend time comparing each rod and of course the differences in length will prevent any true comparison, but I'm looking forward to the opportunity of a test cast come a decent day.
    I counted my rod collection yesterday. I now have exactly 40 fly rods. Only a handful are special in my heart and amongst them the Streamdance is probably the rod I hold most dear and compare all others to. When I fish it it becomes an extension of my will. I think, ''Put the fly there ...'' and the rod does just that, effortlessly.
    Love it.

I don't know about the NRX inserts but my Streamdance (and some other GLXs) has a burlwood insert inside the metal reel seat. Unfortunately, somehow mine has developed a fine lateral crack over the years.

One thing I really don't like about Shimano/G Loomis is the skeletal, fanged fish logo. I think it's ugly and has no association with the type of fishing I do or its ethos.
    It's not so terrible as to put me off their fly rods though!

I started a thread on Gary Loomis's early career here on the UKFFF if it's of interest to any. I'll update it with some new photos this week.
    Last edited by Lewis Chessman; 12-08-2019 at 05:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jayr View Post
    After going to their web site, they don't even show any dealers in the SE for their fly rods. Why is that?
    Their website is inaccurate/not up to date in that regard. I know of two shops in my area (greater Asheville) that stock G Loomis rods, though neither appears as a G Loomis dealer on the company's website.

Quote Originally Posted by WNCtroutstalker View Post
    Their website is inaccurate/not up to date in that regard. I know of two shops in my area (greater Asheville) that stock G Loomis rods, though neither appears as a G Loomis dealer on the company's website.
    One would think that at the least you keep the site up to date on dealers......

Hunter Banks is one I bet.

Who is the other, DRO or Curtis Wright in Weaverville?
    Mainline the blueline

Yes, HB and DRO. Haven't been to CW in several years (since they closed their Asheville location), so not sure about them one way or the other. I think many companies' dealer lists are inaccurate (listing places that no longer carry their line or have even closed, and not listing current dealers) so G Loomis is certainly not alone in that regard, but definitely something you'd think companies would try to keep relatively current.

Quote Originally Posted by WNCtroutstalker View Post
    Yes, HB and DRO. Haven't been to CW in several years (since they closed their Asheville location), so not sure about them one way or the other. I think many companies' dealer lists are inaccurate (listing places that no longer carry their line or have even closed, and not listing current dealers) so G Loomis is certainly not alone in that regard, but definitely something you'd think companies would try to keep relatively current.
    I'm with you on CW, haven't been to Weaverville and only visited the store in the village.

You probably know this too, did HB close the Waynesville store? It's been several years since I was there. It was pretty small too.

Yes, some dealers keep out of date lists, but one would think that with as pricey as Loomis rods are they would want the info out there on where to get one, other than just seeing one while shopping for other things.
    Mainline the blueline

Quote Originally Posted by jayr View Post
    You probably know this too, did HB close the Waynesville store? It's been several years since I was there. It was pretty small too.
    Yes, the Waynesville store was closed. I never set foot in the door and not sure when, but one of the guys in the Asheville shop had mentioned it to me several months ago when I casually asked how he was splitting his time between he two shops.

I too have never dug the Fear No Fish insignia. Skeletons with teeth I'm fine with...as fossils.

Here is my StreamDance GLX HLS 8 1/2'/#4 doing its thing.
    W13 072 GLX.Rainbow vs.jpg

8. Likes fly2field, Lewis Chessman liked this post

I only have 1 Loomis. A 9.6 #7 GLX Classic. Love it dearly, wish I had more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The GLX was the first rod series to employ carbon rather than glass scrim, the first to use a woven carbon reel seat spacer, the first to use single foot guides (I think) and Steve Rajeff's first truly brilliant series wide tapers. GLX was the demarcation point that separated graphite rods that came before it to all that followed up to today. By the end of the last century, any trout, salmon or bonefish camp had GLX rods on its rack and, if I was there, mine too.

11. Likes fly2field liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    Gary Loomis's background is in composite fabrication not bamboo. From the outset G-Loomis's strength was as the leader in blank (and other tubular) building. Their aesthetic is "Form Follows Function". They were the first to use light weight and impervious woven carbon spacers. The first to use single foot guides and early adaptors of the Recoil nickel titanium alloy guides while their competitors were and some are still suing coated stainless steel snakes. The hiring of Steve Rajeff as their taper designer (this was not Garry's strong suite) early in IMX development ascended them to the performance leadership roll that they maintain to today. Probably only Sage equals their blank technology and fabrication excellence among our dominant American makers and it is no coincidence that both are located in the Pacific North West in the shadow of huge aerospace companies like Boeing. You don't find an employee base expert in composites material science and manufacturing processes in small town America like you do in Washington State.
    Well said, and very true, Gary brought new technology to the fishing rod business, and Steve perfected their tapers.

Quote Originally Posted by AzTrouter View Post
    Gary Loomis did a podcast interview with a certain fly fisher gal that was just a riot, he’s quite the man from very humble beginnings.
    And he has a real cents of humor if you get him started.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12