Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gloomis Fan Boy

Cool Gloomis Fan Boy

Was at the IFTD last month and had the opportunity to try out the new NRX plus and boy, do they cast well!

I also recently acquired a 71111 IMX Pro Short Spey and seriously I was not expecting a rocket launcher at this price point.

IN short, I love my Gloomis because they are quite true to their weight class unlike the other big boys.

What about you?

2. Likes Ard liked this post

Default Re: Gloomis Fan Boy

Though I have yet to cast an NRX+, I highly anticipate doing so. I have had G-Loomis rods in both my fresh and salt rod kits since the 80's and they are among my consistent favorites. However, to Yugo's point, most all my current rods from Loomis, Sage, Scott, Douglas, new Taylor Truths and more I have found to favor lines in line with their ratings. The only and notable exception has been Sage's SALT/HD rods which are a full line size light, a #9 is virtually a #10. This is a result of the development line having been RIO's Flats Pro, a great but full size overweight line. The egg and the chicken in this case. All my NRX trout rods are best matched with RIO IT Gold.

4. Thanks Yugo thanked for this post
    Likes fly2field liked this post

Speaking of Sage Salt, I could not agree more. I also tried the Winston Alpha, it gives new meaning to over built.

6. Default Re: Gloomis Fan Boy

I remember years ago the first time I worked up the courage to spend the extra for a Loomis IMX bait casting rod... and now 3 NRX casting rods, an NRX 4 wt, and an Asquith 8 wt later, I still think they produce the absolute highest quality product out there (for me at least). I have some Sage rods, Orvis rods, a few custom builds, and a Winston 5 wt that I love, but that Loomis sticker represents another level in my mind. Guess I have become a “fanboy” along with you.

I could be a poster child for G. Loomis.

If I counted correctly, I have seven of their rods, including an 8'6" 3wt and a thirteen foot 8wt sprey rod, and pretty much everything in between.

Besides the the performance of their rods, which seem to suit my casting style, I like the fact that they seem to concentrate more on the functional aspect of their rods and less on the artistic form of their rods.

In doing this they keep their prices, relatively speaking for top of the line rods, very competitive and somewhat below the competition, with no loss of performance. Okay, the Asquith is the exception.

When I'm walking stream-side with one of their rods I feel as if I'm carrying a precision high quality tool, not a piece of artwork, which is what I like.

The quality of there build is first rate and everything that is important to casting and catching fish is there, but nothing that doesn't need to be there is present either.

There seems to be a certain amount of understatement and workmen-like practicality to their rods.
    -Rick Allen

I'll join the choir. I've got a 9' 9 weight CrossCurrent GLX for salt water, a 9'6" 8 weight Native Run GLX for salmon and steelhead, and a 13' 8/9 weight NRX two hander. I love fishing all of those rods so much I just can't see ever replacing them with something "newer" and "better".

Scott

9. Likes myt1 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Yugo View Post
    Was at the IFTD last month and had the opportunity to try out the new NRX plus and boy, do they cast well! What about you?
    I briefly cast the new NRX+ 5 wt the other day. I didn't cast it side-by-side with any other rods so a bit hard to compare, but bottom line is it felt and cast really nicely. The tip felt stable (no bounce), but not overly stiff either. A very good feeling of control. I'm very anxious to try the 6, but Loomis seems to not have been ready for the launch (in terms of having rods ready to ship). I will say that when I picked up the rod off the rod rack I was surprised to see it was the new NRX+ -- I'm not familiar with all of the Loomis models (I have 3 original NRXs, one freshwater and two saltwater, and an IMX Pro) but I personally don't associate wood seat inserts with Loomis rods. Not saying I didn't like it, it was just different looking. But very muc liked how it cast.

11. Likes okiekev, myt1, Yugo liked this post

Gary Loomis's background is in composite fabrication not bamboo. From the outset G-Loomis's strength was as the leader in blank (and other tubular) building. Their aesthetic is "Form Follows Function". They were the first to use light weight and impervious woven carbon spacers. The first to use single foot guides and early adaptors of the Recoil nickel titanium alloy guides while their competitors were and some are still suing coated stainless steel snakes. The hiring of Steve Rajeff as their taper designer (this was not Garry's strong suite) early in IMX development ascended them to the performance leadership roll that they maintain to today. Probably only Sage equals their blank technology and fabrication excellence among our dominant American makers and it is no coincidence that both are located in the Pacific North West in the shadow of huge aerospace companies like Boeing. You don't find an employee base expert in composites material science and manufacturing processes in small town America like you do in Washington State.

13. Likes fly2field liked this post

Gary Loomis did a podcast interview with a certain fly fisher gal that was just a riot, he’s quite the man from very humble beginnings.

15. Likes mike_r liked this post

I have visited probably close to 20 or more fly shops in TN, NC, VA, GA and SC and have yet to see or lay hands on a Loomis fly rod. After going to their web site, they don't even show any dealers in the SE for their fly rods.

Why is that?

Just curious.
    Mainline the blueline

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast