Ball and Buck/Abel

jfh245

Reaction score
Noticed that outfitter Ball and Buck has teamed up with Abel for some flyfishing equipment offerings. We have another race for priciest accessories. Their zinger is $118 and nippers are $108. Gulp.

Jamaicadiver

Reaction score
Who's selling them?
Buck and ball site was showing ones with their logo's I believe, at least last time I looked. Abel has discontinued but still available from some retailers....Think even Able is offering last stock on Amazon. Prices have come down, 15, 20 bucks, can get limited colors and skins. Someone, can't remember who now, had black on sale around 60-70 bucks. Couldn't help myself, Abel can do red anodized aluminum so well! Had to match an old two-tone Red and Green Super 6n.

Last edited:

Dodge

Reaction score
Big fan of Ball and Buck... it may be pricey, but I love it... have all three of the reels produced with Abel... and both Fly Rods produced with Thomas and Thomas...

LePetomane

Reaction score
Big fan of Ball and Buck... it may be pricey, but I love it... have all three of the reels produced with Abel... and both Fly Rods produced with Thomas and Thomas...
I find it interesting that Ball and Buck advertise 80 hours per rod where most bamboo rodmakers claim 40 hours per rod on average. How do those rods fish?

Dodge

Reaction score
I know Thomas and Thomas built their bamboo fly rods... I would assume Ball and Buck is getting their information from them... it did come with an extra tip... and some extra details Ball and Buck specific... I can tell you it is a beautifully made rod... how it fishes is partly on the person fishing it... it casts beautifully... I bought one and have zero complaints... in fact, four years later I wouldn't sell it back to them even for a 100% refund... I have no earthly idea as to the time and energy that goes into building a bamboo fly rod... I do plan on taking the bamboo fly rod building class at Oyster in Blue Ridge, Georgia one day... I've heard from many it's an amazing experience... I did meet Troy, the T&T bamboo rod maker, at the T&T factory a few years ago... that was pretty special...

LePetomane

Reaction score
An extra tip is pretty much standard on most bamboo rods although Orvis offers one at the same price point as the B&B that is one tip.

Some very skilled rodmakers have passed through the doors of T&T. Dorsey, Aroner, Maxwell, the list goes on. All of the Catskill makers were either at T&T , Leonard or Payne at some point.

I have thought of taking a class in rodmaking but I do not have the patience. I wonder if Covid will do these things in. Bill Oyster's class has been very popular. He does some beautiful engraving. I did meet a gentleman last summer who was fishing a rod he had made at the Oyster class. It was what one would expect of someone's first build but this guy was was fishing a rod he made himself and I was not. There is something to be said for that.