Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hooked by a pike

Took my son fishing for pike at a small lake I know. He caught a "hammer handle" with his spinning outfit. Anyway, the fish started thrashing while I was trying to unhook it and this was the result. After a three hour stay at the local emergency room, I was back home. Now everybody, make sure those barbs are mashed down!lol
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Default Re: Hooked by a pike

Yeeeeeee OOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!! That hurts dosen't it. Just happened to me Tuesday.Got a size 8 Gamakatsu buried to the bend in the center of my finger. Don't even know how, LOL. Have you ever heard of the line trick????? It woulda saved you Three hours and a couple bucks. Or just pop it out with pliers( yes, with the barb up) and keep fishin' like I did. Its really not that bad
    I like organic chicken..... The kind with the capes still on 'em

3. Default Re: Hooked by a pike

Ooh -- sorry to see that. I once caught a pike on a crankbait that thrashed right when I reached for the lure, and somehow a hook on the same treble that was in the fish went into my thumb. I was lucky that it didn't go in too deep and I could get it out myself.

Default Re: Hooked by a pike

Eeeeyowwww! I know how that felt...Time to buy a hookout if you're going to pike fish; keeps your hands away from the hook while unhooking the fish.

Dan

Blog Entries

Sorry for you.Here's another good reason to fish with barbless hooks

6. Default Re: Hooked by a pike

Quote Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post
    Eeeeyowwww! I know how that felt...Time to buy a hookout if you're going to pike fish; keeps your hands away from the hook while unhooking the fish.

Dan
    I'm not sure how it happened to me (it's been close to 15 years ago). I've always used needlenose pliers for the small pike and muskies we'd catch (up to about 24 in) and that always worked fine. I don't remember if he got me while I was holding the pliers if I was being careless seeing that he wasn't badly hooked.

Hi glassroddr,

That is why all fishers should keep their tetanus shots up to date and carry side cutters in the car or boat.

If you had a pair of side cutters you could cut the hook off at the start of the bend. Then push the hook forward so the point comes out of the skin. Then pull the hook out pulling on the point. It is not near as bad as it sounds.

Frank

Ouch!

And no doubt on smashing the barbs down. I had an interesting experience with a barbed BWO and my lower lip earlier this year

9. Default Re: Hooked by a pike

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
    If you had a pair of side cutters you could cut the hook off at the start of the bend. Then push the hook forward so the point comes out of the skin. Then pull the hook out pulling on the point. It is not near as bad as it sounds.
    Either that or try the line trick. Or the pliers, both are quick, effective relitively painless and spare the hook harm. Just my two cents
    I like organic chicken..... The kind with the capes still on 'em

10. Default Re: Hooked by a pike

Wow sorry to see that. It had to hurt.
    With my now screwed up right shoulder I was out fishing the other day casting with my upper arm locked tight against my side and using my whole body to execute the cast. Well, one long cast got too far back and too low on the backcast. On the forward cast I got whacked in the head with my split shot and the flies took my hat off and into the river. Close call.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast