Hooked by a pike

glassroddr

Reaction score
Took my son fishing for pike at a small lake I know. He caught a "hammer handle" with his spinning outfit. Anyway, the fish started thrashing while I was trying to unhook it and this was the result. After a three hour stay at the local emergency room, I was back home. Now everybody, make sure those barbs are mashed down!lol:icon_redf

Attachments

Steelhead Junkie

Reaction score
Yeeeeeee OOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!! That hurts dosen't it. Just happened to me Tuesday.Got a size 8 Gamakatsu buried to the bend in the center of my finger. Don't even know how, LOL. Have you ever heard of the line trick????? It woulda saved you Three hours and a couple bucks. Or just pop it out with pliers( yes, with the barb up) and keep fishin' like I did. Its really not that bad:icon_roll

jcl

Reaction score
Ooh -- sorry to see that. I once caught a pike on a crankbait that thrashed right when I reached for the lure, and somehow a hook on the same treble that was in the fish went into my thumb. I was lucky that it didn't go in too deep and I could get it out myself.

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
Eeeeyowwww! I know how that felt...Time to buy a hookout if you're going to pike fish; keeps your hands away from the hook while unhooking the fish.

Dan

jcl

Reaction score
Eeeeyowwww! I know how that felt...Time to buy a hookout if you're going to pike fish; keeps your hands away from the hook while unhooking the fish.

Dan
I'm not sure how it happened to me (it's been close to 15 years ago). I've always used needlenose pliers for the small pike and muskies we'd catch (up to about 24 in) and that always worked fine. I don't remember if he got me while I was holding the pliers if I was being careless seeing that he wasn't badly hooked.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi glassroddr,

That is why all fishers should keep their tetanus shots up to date and carry side cutters in the car or boat.

If you had a pair of side cutters you could cut the hook off at the start of the bend. Then push the hook forward so the point comes out of the skin. Then pull the hook out pulling on the point. It is not near as bad as it sounds.

Frank

Sasha

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ouch!

And no doubt on smashing the barbs down. I had an interesting experience with a barbed BWO and my lower lip earlier this year :redface:

Steelhead Junkie

Reaction score
If you had a pair of side cutters you could cut the hook off at the start of the bend. Then push the hook forward so the point comes out of the skin. Then pull the hook out pulling on the point. It is not near as bad as it sounds.
Either that or try the line trick. Or the pliers, both are quick, effective relitively painless and spare the hook harm. Just my two cents;)

yatahey

Reaction score
Wow sorry to see that. It had to hurt.
With my now screwed up right shoulder I was out fishing the other day casting with my upper arm locked tight against my side and using my whole body to execute the cast. Well, one long cast got too far back and too low on the backcast. On the forward cast I got whacked in the head with my split shot and the flies took my hat off and into the river. Close call.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Steelhead Junkie, I don't think the line trick will work on a treble hook.

yatahey, I think you might want to consider casting with your other arm. I know it would be hard to switch but in the long run you might be better off. You don't want to cause further injury to your arm.

Frank

FrankB2

Reaction score
My wife continued using crankbaits long after I gave up on them. I always
hated wrestling with big bass and 6 hooks :eek: ! I did smash the barbs down
before she gave up on them, but that was mostly to help the fish.

Good Tip, FrankW! I keep wire cutters in my Jeep, and recently bought a
pair to keep in my boat bag for a variety of reasons.

kruggy1

Reaction score
Wow, that sucks!!! I ve stuck a streamer into the back of my head so I understand how you felt luckly my buddy knew the line trick.

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
I took a wooley bugger up to the bend in the thumb. must of missed every nerve cause surpringly I felt nothing. grabbed the hemos and pulled it out and it never even bled??? lucky me... yours don't look to fun tho! :eek: haha kruggy got one in the head. u lucky ole leg josh was with ya instead of me! I would of had to take the hemostats to your brain stem! haha