Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default how often do you double-haul in normal fishing scenarios?...

when i first started fly fishing about 13 years ago, my ONLY rod was an old medium action 7'5" 3-weight diamondback rod and i often found myself double-hauling like crazy to get that extra 10 or 15 feet so i could rest my flies right where trout noses and fins were breaking the surface.....

i never double-haul nowadays with my 9ft 5-weight fast rods...... and i gotta confess, i tried the other day and i was kinda rusty....my leader came back with a bunch of knots....

Default Re: how often do you double-haul in normal fishing scenarios?...

Hi o mykiss,

Needing to double haul has way more to do with where your fishing and what you are fishing for. A fresh water trout fisher who fishes rivers may never need to double haul in his lifetime. But throw in some wind and some long cast and they may double haul a lot. Saltwater fishers may double haul on every cast. Saltwater anglers have the opportunity to make very long cast and the double haul can be a wonderful aid. Saltwater fishing and some of the Western States have a lot of wind and the double haul can be put to good use.

So I think you will find that fishing conditions and target fish has a lot to do with who is using the double haul. For my self, when trout fishing I find that many times I will do a single haul on my forward cast if I want to make a bounce back cast or want the leader and line to be straight.

Frank

I do mostly trout fishing, and the only time I ever double-hauled was when I was learning the Double-Haul...

IMO, if a fish is that far away on a trout stream, you should take 10 steps towards him to get a more accurate cast and better chance of setting the hook.

I've never mastered the double haul, because I've never needed it.
    I should probably learn it, but my fishing never seems to require more distance than I can get with with a normal cast.

I don't think I've ever double hauled while trout fishing. Different story bonefishing and atlantic salmon fishing. Lots 'o double hauls in those scenarios. Lots.

Hoping to be able to double haul again,
    Gary

Oh, I forgot lawn casting. Beaucoup double hauls lawn casting. Hero casts forever!
    Last edited by gt05254; 02-09-2011 at 06:22 PM. Reason: comic relief?

Quote Originally Posted by o mykiss View Post
    when i first started fly fishing about 13 years ago, my ONLY rod was an old medium action 7'5" 3-weight diamondback rod and i often found myself double-hauling like crazy to get that extra 10 or 15 feet so i could rest my flies right where trout noses and fins were breaking the surface.....

i never double-haul nowadays with my 9ft 5-weight fast rods...... and i gotta confess, i tried the other day and i was kinda rusty....my leader came back with a bunch of knots....
    If you had that new Dorber UltraWave rod that Fox has been pushing all over the internet, you wouldn't need to double haul. And if you did, your fly'd go into the next county.

Gotta have some fun with this one.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

7. Default Re: how often do you double-haul in normal fishing scenarios?...

I thought they were doing away with HAULING all together with that new thing called a "Tenkara" ;-) (I am kidding)

Fishing in a float tube on windy Prairie lakes in Saskatchewan/Manitoba calls for constant double-hauling.

9. Default Re: how often do you double-haul in normal fishing scenarios?...

DHing is rarely needed and IMO is mostly for show these days. Rods have so much better action and what not that the only time I'd do it is at a fly show.
    Stay bent..............

Quote Originally Posted by sixweight View Post
    Fishing in a float tube on windy Prairie lakes in Saskatchewan/Manitoba calls for constant double-hauling.
    And most lakes in Idaho, Wyoming and Utah too.
    We want to hit the Parklands so bad I can taste it. I'm thinking next year for 2 weeks.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast