True Fly Fishing Leader Vs. Normal Line

fishingkidpa

Reaction score
when i got my new leader it came all tangeled and knotted :mad:. I know you can put on normal line for a leader, but it wont give as much accuracy or range. I put on a 7 foot leader of 4lb test. The place i am going to fish i will probably be casting a maximum of 10 yards because i will be wading. So tell me if there is a BIG/very noticeable difference. ( i will probably end up getting a new leader anyway, i just want to know say if thats all i had on me one day) thanks.

White River Fly Shop 20-Piece Trout Starter Assortment
^^^^and would this be a good purchase, i dont many flies at all considering im new.

colotrout

Reaction score
Kid,
I see you are persisting, good! (I still suggest a guide).

Your should stretch your leader slightly when out of the pack. You probably noticed that it naturally curls when first installed on your line. The heavier section of your leader can be straighten by squeezing that section between your fingers by producing friction heat. The thinner section of your leader needs to be straighten by pulling on it. Heat will weaken it.

Leaders can be repaired by adding tippet of the proper size as you loose some.

And the flies look fine. Orvis has a similar assortment for sale, which I bought when I first got into fly fishing.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Fishingkid,

Are you in Pennsylvania? If I get what you mean, you're asking if a 7' piece of 4 lb mono will work for a leader. The answer could get complicated. If you are a really good caster you can use a level leader (no taper) and you can turn over flies with the level line. Generally speaking a tapered leader is going to make the flies turn over better for a beginner. However if you are pretty new to casting even a tapered leader will not cure problems with the delivery cast.

So, are you from PA. and can you cast well enough to turn over leaders tapered or otherwise? Just asking so we have a starting point for better answers.

Ard

thonyb

Reaction score
you can save that leader. just tie 4lb on to it.

the flies are good. your best bet is to go to a fly shop. one that guides where you are fishing. they will be able to tell you what the fish are liking. when i first started i bought a ton of flies of various kinds. i still have a few lady bug patterns i think i will never use.lol.

usus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
you can save that leader. just tie 4lb on to it.

the flies are good. your best bet is to go to a fly shop. one that guides where you are fishing. they will be able to tell you what the fish are liking. when i first started i bought a ton of flies of various kinds. i still have a few lady bug patterns i think i will never use.lol.
so the lady bug patterns are not so good to use?

wabi

Reaction score
so the lady bug patterns are not so good to use?

Toss one on a farm pond in June or July here in Ohio and you better have a good grip on the rod. :yikes:
I guess it depends on the species and geographic location, but there is a time and place for them. ;)

As for leaders, try making one of these -
Start out making short ones until you get the idea or you will have some problems with the ends getting tangled. I start with about 15' of line for leaders for my 7' 3wt rod(s). When the tippet is attached it ends up around 7' in length.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbcVaEe3RIs]YouTube - Building Furled Leaders Without Jigs or Tools[/ame]

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Leaders don't come " tangled and knotted " out of the package, but they seem that way :D
Next time remove the leader carefully from the packageing and give it a good look. The butt end will be wound around the coil 3-5 times. Unwind this first.
Then carefully separated the coils.

You may want to practice casting with the straight mono so as to not mess up another tapered. 4 to 6 feet is fine. Tie a piece of yarn or something on the end to simulate a fly
If you want, you could PM me your address and I'll send you a couple of hand tied leaders.
I'm assuming that you're a kid, if so, ask your parent's permission first.

fishingkidpa

Reaction score
Hi Fishingkid,

Are you in Pennsylvania? If I get what you mean, you're asking if a 7' piece of 4 lb mono will work for a leader. The answer could get complicated. If you are a really good caster you can use a level leader (no taper) and you can turn over flies with the level line. Generally speaking a tapered leader is going to make the flies turn over better for a beginner. However if you are pretty new to casting even a tapered leader will not cure problems with the delivery cast.

So, are you from PA. and can you cast well enough to turn over leaders tapered or otherwise? Just asking so we have a starting point for better answers.

Ard
i am from PA, when i made this name i capitilezed it but it didnt show i did. and "can you cast well enough to turn over leaders tapered or otherwise?" like i said im new and not to sure what you mean, ive been casting before, havent been fishing yet but will saturday. thanks for helping out

---------- Post added at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 PM ----------

Kid,
I see you are persisting, good! (I still suggest a guide).

Your should stretch your leader slightly when out of the pack. You probably noticed that it naturally curls when first installed on your line. The heavier section of your leader can be straighten by squeezing that section between your fingers by producing friction heat. The thinner section of your leader needs to be straighten by pulling on it. Heat will weaken it.

Leaders can be repaired by adding tippet of the proper size as you loose some.

And the flies look fine. Orvis has a similar assortment for sale, which I bought when I first got into fly fishing.
i see where your coming from with the guide, but i cant yet or even till the middle of summer cause i play baseball for my highschool and we have alot of practice, which means less time fishing :( lol but i hope i dont get angry with me posting these threads cause when i search on google i get horrible answers, and i bet all of you have a ton of experience.
P.S. my dad has done a little fly fishing so he will be able to help me with a little bit of it. but anyway thanks for the help!

fishingkidpa

Reaction score
Leaders don't come " tangled and knotted " out of the package, but they seem that way :D
Next time remove the leader carefully from the packageing and give it a good look. The butt end will be wound around the coil 3-5 times. Unwind this first.
Then carefully separated the coils.

You may want to practice casting with the straight mono so as to not mess up another tapered. 4 to 6 feet is fine. Tie a piece of yarn or something on the end to simulate a fly
If you want, you could PM me your address and I'll send you a couple of hand tied leaders.
I'm assuming that you're a kid, if so, ask your parent's permission first.
well im 15, i literally spent all last summer trout fishing, small mouth fishing and largemouth fishing, i think its safe to say i love fishing as much as i do archery hunting! i asked my dad and he said its cool. I mean it would be really awesome if you could! people say its cheaper to tie your own, and if the knots arent to fairly difficult i will give it a try. i will PM but you dont have to go to any special measures for me. thanks again.

ant

Reaction score
Get a leader straightener, like this one: Leather Leader Straightener. It will be some of the best couple bucks you ever spend.

The flies aren't bad, but their a tad generic. I would suggest taking your $20 and going to a fly shop and getting them there. You might pay a little more per fly, but you'll get a more 'localized' pattern that "should" be more productive than a catch all pattern. They will also be able to give you tips on how to fish it depending on the waters you'll be on and the conditions.

---------- Post added at 01:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 PM ----------

Toss one on a farm pond in June or July here in Ohio and you better have a good grip on the rod. :yikes:
I guess it depends on the species and geographic location, but there is a time and place for them. ;)

As for leaders, try making one of these -
Start out making short ones until you get the idea or you will have some problems with the ends getting tangled. I start with about 15' of line for leaders for my 7' 3wt rod(s). When the tippet is attached it ends up around 7' in length.
YouTube - Building Furled Leaders Without Jigs or Tools

I've made leaders like this before. They work well but making them is quite the hand workout!

wjc

Reaction score
Good advice.
Get a leader straightener, like this one: Leather Leader Straightener.
Whatever you do, don't use the surgical rubber tubes of your wrist rocket to straighten them with or you could wind up losing an eye when it breaks next time you try to shoot it.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Kid,

I am glad you are asking questions. I am sure we can help you.

I think you will find a 7' 4lb level leader will be hard for you to cast and deliver the fly. As a beginner I think 4lb is too light for a level leader. Your best bet is a commercial tapered leader in a 4x size. Rip Tide is right about untwisting the leader out of the package.

Ant made a good suggestion. Go to a fly shop close to where you are going to fish and ask about what is working. The flies in the selection are a good choice but you only get two each. If we knew more about where you are fishing we could help you more.

Frank

trout333

Reaction score
Hey kid, as has been said already, the leader doesn't come "tangled." Its just coiled like that for packaging purposes. Take your time uncoiling it. I'd recommend getting the tapered mono 4x leader in about a 7.5'-9' section and attaching a piece of 5x tippet about 2'-4'. Then tie your flies onto the tippet. Also, use the methods described by colotrout to straighten the leader. Forget the level leader stuff.

As far as flies go, don't waste your money on the assortment. Take your $20 and go to a local fly shop. You'll probably only be able to afford half the flies with $20 but at least you'll be matching the forage more effectively based on the water you're fishing. Just a few of the general "go to" flies that work fairly well for me and in a plethora of conditions include:

NYMPHS
Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear Nymph
Bead Head Prince Nymph
Zebra Midge

DRY FLIES
Dave's Hopper
Royal Wulff
Adams
Griffiths Gnat
Elk Hair Caddis

STEAMERS
Wooly Bugger (Black and/or Olive)
Mohair Leech (Purple and/or Black)

Sizes and color are very important too! But mostly SIZE!!! Ask someone about what sizes work at the fly shop. The above patterns are very solid, but again, the local fly shop will be able to tell you what the fish eat in the water you're fishing. There are a TON of different fly patterns out there!!! As you gain experience, you'll start to gain confidence in certain patterns that closely mimic the local trout foods so you don't have to buy every single fly out there. Also, ask them about what presentation of the flies is effective! This might mean skittering your Elk Hair Caddis on the surface, or dead drifting a heavily weighted Zebra migdge on the bottom, or dead drifting an unweighted Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear Nymph just below the surface, etc.