Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. Default True Fly Fishing Leader Vs. Normal Line

    when i got my new leader it came all tangeled and knotted . I know you can put on normal line for a leader, but it wont give as much accuracy or range. I put on a 7 foot leader of 4lb test. The place i am going to fish i will probably be casting a maximum of 10 yards because i will be wading. So tell me if there is a BIG/very noticeable difference. ( i will probably end up getting a new leader anyway, i just want to know say if thats all i had on me one day) thanks.

    White River Fly Shop 20-Piece Trout Starter Assortment
    ^^^^and would this be a good purchase, i dont many flies at all considering im new.

  2. Default Re: True Fly Fishing Leader Vs. Normal Line

    Kid,
    I see you are persisting, good! (I still suggest a guide).

    Your should stretch your leader slightly when out of the pack. You probably noticed that it naturally curls when first installed on your line. The heavier section of your leader can be straighten by squeezing that section between your fingers by producing friction heat. The thinner section of your leader needs to be straighten by pulling on it. Heat will weaken it.

    Leaders can be repaired by adding tippet of the proper size as you loose some.

    And the flies look fine. Orvis has a similar assortment for sale, which I bought when I first got into fly fishing.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wasilla / Skwentna, Alaska
    Posts
    15,500
    Blog Entries
    113

    Default Re: True Fly Fishing Leader Vs. Normal Line

    Hi Fishingkid,

    Are you in Pennsylvania? If I get what you mean, you're asking if a 7' piece of 4 lb mono will work for a leader. The answer could get complicated. If you are a really good caster you can use a level leader (no taper) and you can turn over flies with the level line. Generally speaking a tapered leader is going to make the flies turn over better for a beginner. However if you are pretty new to casting even a tapered leader will not cure problems with the delivery cast.

    So, are you from PA. and can you cast well enough to turn over leaders tapered or otherwise? Just asking so we have a starting point for better answers.

    Ard

    Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

    Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    McMinnville, OR
    Posts
    114

    Default Re: True Fly Fishing Leader Vs. Normal Line

    you can save that leader. just tie 4lb on to it.

    the flies are good. your best bet is to go to a fly shop. one that guides where you are fishing. they will be able to tell you what the fish are liking. when i first started i bought a ton of flies of various kinds. i still have a few lady bug patterns i think i will never use.lol.

  5. #5

    Default Re: True Fly Fishing Leader Vs. Normal Line

    Quote Originally Posted by thonyb View Post
    you can save that leader. just tie 4lb on to it.

    the flies are good. your best bet is to go to a fly shop. one that guides where you are fishing. they will be able to tell you what the fish are liking. when i first started i bought a ton of flies of various kinds. i still have a few lady bug patterns i think i will never use.lol.
    so the lady bug patterns are not so good to use?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    southern Ohio
    Posts
    689

    Default Re: True Fly Fishing Leader Vs. Normal Line

    Quote Originally Posted by usus View Post
    so the lady bug patterns are not so good to use?

    Toss one on a farm pond in June or July here in Ohio and you better have a good grip on the rod.
    I guess it depends on the species and geographic location, but there is a time and place for them.

    As for leaders, try making one of these -
    Start out making short ones until you get the idea or you will have some problems with the ends getting tangled. I start with about 15' of line for leaders for my 7' 3wt rod(s). When the tippet is attached it ends up around 7' in length.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbcVaEe3RIs]YouTube - Building Furled Leaders Without Jigs or Tools[/ame]

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    quiet corner, ct
    Posts
    8,602

    Default Re: True Fly Fishing Leader Vs. Normal Line

    Leaders don't come " tangled and knotted " out of the package, but they seem that way
    Next time remove the leader carefully from the packageing and give it a good look. The butt end will be wound around the coil 3-5 times. Unwind this first.
    Then carefully separated the coils.

    You may want to practice casting with the straight mono so as to not mess up another tapered. 4 to 6 feet is fine. Tie a piece of yarn or something on the end to simulate a fly
    If you want, you could PM me your address and I'll send you a couple of hand tied leaders.
    I'm assuming that you're a kid, if so, ask your parent's permission first.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

  8. Default Re: True Fly Fishing Leader Vs. Normal Line

    Quote Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
    Hi Fishingkid,

    Are you in Pennsylvania? If I get what you mean, you're asking if a 7' piece of 4 lb mono will work for a leader. The answer could get complicated. If you are a really good caster you can use a level leader (no taper) and you can turn over flies with the level line. Generally speaking a tapered leader is going to make the flies turn over better for a beginner. However if you are pretty new to casting even a tapered leader will not cure problems with the delivery cast.

    So, are you from PA. and can you cast well enough to turn over leaders tapered or otherwise? Just asking so we have a starting point for better answers.

    Ard
    i am from PA, when i made this name i capitilezed it but it didnt show i did. and "can you cast well enough to turn over leaders tapered or otherwise?" like i said im new and not to sure what you mean, ive been casting before, havent been fishing yet but will saturday. thanks for helping out

    ---------- Post added at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by colotrout View Post
    Kid,
    I see you are persisting, good! (I still suggest a guide).

    Your should stretch your leader slightly when out of the pack. You probably noticed that it naturally curls when first installed on your line. The heavier section of your leader can be straighten by squeezing that section between your fingers by producing friction heat. The thinner section of your leader needs to be straighten by pulling on it. Heat will weaken it.

    Leaders can be repaired by adding tippet of the proper size as you loose some.

    And the flies look fine. Orvis has a similar assortment for sale, which I bought when I first got into fly fishing.
    i see where your coming from with the guide, but i cant yet or even till the middle of summer cause i play baseball for my highschool and we have alot of practice, which means less time fishing lol but i hope i dont get angry with me posting these threads cause when i search on google i get horrible answers, and i bet all of you have a ton of experience.
    P.S. my dad has done a little fly fishing so he will be able to help me with a little bit of it. but anyway thanks for the help!

  9. Default Re: True Fly Fishing Leader Vs. Normal Line

    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    Leaders don't come " tangled and knotted " out of the package, but they seem that way
    Next time remove the leader carefully from the packageing and give it a good look. The butt end will be wound around the coil 3-5 times. Unwind this first.
    Then carefully separated the coils.

    You may want to practice casting with the straight mono so as to not mess up another tapered. 4 to 6 feet is fine. Tie a piece of yarn or something on the end to simulate a fly
    If you want, you could PM me your address and I'll send you a couple of hand tied leaders.
    I'm assuming that you're a kid, if so, ask your parent's permission first.
    well im 15, i literally spent all last summer trout fishing, small mouth fishing and largemouth fishing, i think its safe to say i love fishing as much as i do archery hunting! i asked my dad and he said its cool. I mean it would be really awesome if you could! people say its cheaper to tie your own, and if the knots arent to fairly difficult i will give it a try. i will PM but you dont have to go to any special measures for me. thanks again.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Berks, PA
    Posts
    936
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: True Fly Fishing Leader Vs. Normal Line

    Get a leader straightener, like this one: Leather Leader Straightener. It will be some of the best couple bucks you ever spend.

    The flies aren't bad, but their a tad generic. I would suggest taking your $20 and going to a fly shop and getting them there. You might pay a little more per fly, but you'll get a more 'localized' pattern that "should" be more productive than a catch all pattern. They will also be able to give you tips on how to fish it depending on the waters you'll be on and the conditions.

    ---------- Post added at 01:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by wabi View Post
    Toss one on a farm pond in June or July here in Ohio and you better have a good grip on the rod.
    I guess it depends on the species and geographic location, but there is a time and place for them.

    As for leaders, try making one of these -
    Start out making short ones until you get the idea or you will have some problems with the ends getting tangled. I start with about 15' of line for leaders for my 7' 3wt rod(s). When the tippet is attached it ends up around 7' in length.
    YouTube - Building Furled Leaders Without Jigs or Tools

    I've made leaders like this before. They work well but making them is quite the hand workout!
    Anthony Laurence
    www.anthonylaurence.net
    Web Developement and Design
    FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. how often do you double-haul in normal fishing scenarios?...
    By o mykiss in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 02-11-2011, 03:51 AM
  2. true leader strength
    By sabolitoman in forum Saltwater Fly Fishing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-24-2010, 02:19 AM
  3. Normal casting distance for a 5 weight
    By tbacala in forum The Fly Cast
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 02-22-2009, 12:49 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-17-2008, 12:31 AM
  5. Loops, Leader "Butt" & Line to Leader Help
    By pneumatic in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-02-2008, 12:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •