Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Salmon line help

Im heading to Baldwin Michigan the last weekend in Sept for Kings, and cant make up my mind about what line to use. Couple buddies fish there and one recommends the "chuck & duck" Tecnique and the other says use a sink tip on your floating line. As of now I dont have any line on my 9wt, but not sure if I should get floating and can use it for multi purpose or fill a full spool for chuck & duck. I also thought of a shooting line and then a sink tip,then use it in winter for GL steelies in deep holes. Please help, Im confused......LOL!!!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Salmon line help

Kruggy,

Not meaning to offend anyone out there but; Chuck and Duck is not fly fishing. Been there, done that. Before you go that route get yourself a good spinning rod and do it right.

I caught plenty of Lakes kings and managed to do it using a WF 9wt floater, 6 - 7' of 25 lb test Maxima and one or two big 'Water Gremlin' split shot about 3 - 4' from the fly. Stay away from the deep pools where you gotta get down 6 or more feet. Find a place where you can fly fish.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Quote Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
    Kruggy,

Not meaning to offend anyone out there but; Chuck and Duck is not fly fishing. Been there, done that. Before you go that route get yourself a good spinning rod and do it right.

I caught plenty of Lakes kings and managed to do it using a WF 9wt floater, 6 - 7' of 25 lb test Maxima and one or two big 'Water Gremlin' split shot about 3 - 4' from the fly. Stay away from the deep pools where you gotta get down 6 or more feet. Find a place where you can fly fish.

Ard
    No Offense taking Hardyreels, I dont really want to do the chuck & Duck, and we are fishing in a fly fish zone only so we cant use spinning outfits. But i guess the fish stay in deep holes so not sure if i should just get floating linesinktip, or sinking line. Im taking my 8wt for a spare it has floating line just thought of settin up diiferent with the 9wt.

Hi kruggy,

You don't say how deep the holes are. That has a bearing on the fly line. I think the first fly line should be a floating line. Then if you fish enough for Kings and they are deeper than you are fishing, get a sink tip line. If you are truly fishing deep holes then a sink tip line will get down pretty good and is easier to cast than a full sink line. I am assuming the currant is very slow in the deep holes.

Kruggy, you got to give us more information on questions like this. The river's name would have given us some information. One man's deep hole is another's ideal depth. A floating line with a weight fly will give you one level of depth. Then buck shot will give you another depth and each combination gives different results.

Frank

Blog Entries

Here's an option for you. Get a high quality salmon/steelhead taper fly line and some Airflo Salmon/Steelhead Polyleaders in a range of sink rates. I'd recommend the 5 foot length that way you could at 2 to 4 feet of tippet. Anything longer becomes difficult to cast. These Polyleaders come with a factory weld on the butt end and a pefection loop on the tippet end. The tippet end is rated at 24 pound test, so it should cover your needs.

MP

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
    Hi kruggy,

Kruggy, you got to give us more information on questions like this. The river's name would have given us some information. One man's deep hole is another's ideal depth. A floating line with a weight fly will give you one level of depth. Then buck shot will give you another depth and each combination gives different results.

Frank

Well Frank, im going to fish the pere marquette river in michigan, it going to be my first trip there so not sure exactly how deep the holes are. I think there 6-8ft roughly, but i was told there alot of debree in the water so you fly needs to sink 7-9ips so it sinkd quick and dont hand up on logss and stuff. Im trying not to waist money on chuck n duck line for a one time use trying to figure a alternitive be be versital for other fishing appication for steamers and nymphing.