Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Beware Grip 'n Grinners...

You might just be giving away the location of your favorite fishing hole within 15' with the pictures you take...

GPS in cameras and phones creates privacy issue | Video | 7online.com

Blog Entries

Default Re: Beware Grip 'n Grinners...

Hi Jacjster,

Interesting but I'm not sweating this security intrusion. By now you've figured out that my forte is not the grip & grin fish picture. There are enough people who find their way into some of the most remote spots that I travel to already for me to risk advertising them. I've seen a few too many places go to the dogs because of folks who wanted to tell about their success more than to have it to themselves.

My Grandfather shipped out to WWI and served under Blackjack Pershing and my Father landed on the beach at Normandy and then finished his tour serving under General Patton. In our home the saying, "Loose lips sink ships" was a lesson never far from the conversations when I was growing up.

Mum's the word,

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Blog Entries

Jackster

I can see this as an issue for some that fish little known and little fished waters. For me it is not much of an issue. The waters I fish are world famous and widely known. There is nothing secret about them.
    Davo
    My worst day on the water beats my best day anywhere else hands down!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures

Quote Originally Posted by Davo View Post
    Jackster

I can see this as an issue for some that fish little known and little fished waters. For me it is not much of an issue. The waters I fish are world famous and widely known. There is nothing secret about them.
    Understood but around here we have many 'blueliners'... people who look for the faint blue lines on the Delorme to hike into. They treasure the honey-holes they find and do their best to keep them top secret.

Another worry as that bad guys can learn quite a bit about who takes a picture through this and, being the low-life preditors that they are, use that info in bad pursuits.

One of the many reasons that I boycott the facebook. That and ex-girlfriends
    -shawn

'If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.'

Blog Entries

Interesting that the manufacturers decided to turn on geotagging by default. Most folks that buy smart phones will have no idea that they are advertising their location all over the net. Just another reason why I don't need a smart phone.

Larry
    Larry

Blog Entries

Simple enough to avert, use a regular digital camera, or even a disposable that you get scanned.

I'm more worried about the safety concerns. I know my teenage step daughter takes pics and posts them online. I'll have to check them for geotagging now. (Like we don't have enough nightmares as parents....)
    Anthony Laurence
    www.anthonylaurence.net
    Web Developement and Design
    FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog

Here's an article from a few months back
    Geotag, You're It! What Your Smartphone Might Be Saying Behind Your Back | Privacy Rights Clearinghouse

You should be able to turn off the feature. I think it's turned on by default by the phone manufacturers. Same with the geotagging digital cameras.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

Too late. I'm studying everyones fish pics. Guess I'll see you this summer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ant View Post
    Simple enough to avert, use a regular digital camera, or even a disposable that you get scanned.
    My Pentax takes better pix than my cell phone anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by ant View Post
    I'm more worried about the safety concerns. I know my teenage step daughter takes pics and posts them online. I'll have to check them for geotagging now. (Like we don't have enough nightmares as parents....)
    Me too. I'll pass this on to friends and family.

MP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast