Beware Grip 'n Grinners...

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Jacjster,

Interesting but I'm not sweating this security intrusion. By now you've figured out that my forte is not the grip & grin fish picture. There are enough people who find their way into some of the most remote spots that I travel to already for me to risk advertising them. I've seen a few too many places go to the dogs because of folks who wanted to tell about their success more than to have it to themselves.

My Grandfather shipped out to WWI and served under Blackjack Pershing and my Father landed on the beach at Normandy and then finished his tour serving under General Patton. In our home the saying, "Loose lips sink ships" was a lesson never far from the conversations when I was growing up.

Mum's the word,

Ard

Davo

Reaction score
Jackster

I can see this as an issue for some that fish little known and little fished waters. For me it is not much of an issue. The waters I fish are world famous and widely known. There is nothing secret about them.

Jackster

Reaction score
Jackster

I can see this as an issue for some that fish little known and little fished waters. For me it is not much of an issue. The waters I fish are world famous and widely known. There is nothing secret about them.
Understood but around here we have many 'blueliners'... people who look for the faint blue lines on the Delorme to hike into. They treasure the honey-holes they find and do their best to keep them top secret.

Another worry as that bad guys can learn quite a bit about who takes a picture through this and, being the low-life preditors that they are, use that info in bad pursuits.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Interesting that the manufacturers decided to turn on geotagging by default. Most folks that buy smart phones will have no idea that they are advertising their location all over the net. Just another reason why I don't need a smart phone.

Larry

ant

Reaction score
Simple enough to avert, use a regular digital camera, or even a disposable that you get scanned.

I'm more worried about the safety concerns. I know my teenage step daughter takes pics and posts them online. I'll have to check them for geotagging now. (Like we don't have enough nightmares as parents....)

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Simple enough to avert, use a regular digital camera, or even a disposable that you get scanned.
My Pentax takes better pix than my cell phone anyways.

I'm more worried about the safety concerns. I know my teenage step daughter takes pics and posts them online. I'll have to check them for geotagging now. (Like we don't have enough nightmares as parents....)
Me too. I'll pass this on to friends and family.

MP

ChrisinselwynNZ

Reaction score
The only time the GPS on my phone was helpful was when I needed to call the poliece my cell takes **** pics (work phone) my own phone is so basic that its most advanced feature is TXT:D

but for my spots they if not famous they still get very high angling presure

there is only one place I fish that I dont share thats because its private property and mainly bait fishermen use it (so I get a chance to clean up with the fly with out the 2hr drive:p)

and I dont photograph fish unless they are coming with me or in the water (not attached to the line cos there is no way I will use a $600 camera that close to water), because I fish mostly alone and gravel river banks getting close to 80-100 deg f will cook them:eek::icon_eek:

Chris