The Compleat Angler Film

littledavid123

Reaction score
Just watched this film and was struck by the ways possible for fly fishing to endear itself upon us. Should have been a journalist for my propensity to ask questions! But here it is, what is there about fly fishing that calls your name and beckons you to the water year after year?

For me (a newbie) it is that one cast where you know perfection and art where nearly joined together. Of course catching a fish on a fly might certainly expand the endearing qualities of this sport...

Dave

ssmith

Reaction score
For me it has to be the hookup. Feeling the fish take and start the fist fight that I hope I win... there is nothing else like it

man, I want to fish

nerka

Reaction score
what is there about fly fishing that calls your name and beckons you to the water year after year?
A few things...firstly is the process from start to finish and feeding my family.
Meaning, I create the flies, spending hours prepping them, and god knows how much money :)
Then I go and fish those flies I made. Then I catch fish with those flies. Then I clean and process those fish. Then I generally smoke them. Then I feed my family, friends and myself with those fish that I tied flies for all winter.
The process is what is important to me. I did as much as I could on my own.

I am not a fly snob though. I have killed more fish commercial fishing than I think most can fathom. I lived off the land while in rural Alaska catching salmon with nets. But there is always the draw of putting my full energy and attention into the process from start to finish it is very rewarding.

Davo

Reaction score
Dave

What is it about fly fishing that calls to you? Good question. Hard to answer!!

There is a lot about fly fishing that calls to me. First and foremost is that when ever I fly fish I feel like the 10yr old little boy who learned how from his Dad. He gave me my passion for fly fishing that day so many years ago in Yellowstone. And we have shared that passion ever since!!

Fly fishing also allows me to forget the rest of the world for a much needed break. When standing in a stream casting to rising fish, concentrating on my cast and drift. The stresses and trivia of everyday life just melts away. No worries about bills or work or relationships. Just you the stream and the fish. Pure perfection for as long as it lasts!!

Last but not least it is share joy with good friends. Many of the best people I've ever met were on the water!! As fun and rejuvenating fly fishing is solo it is amazing to share with others as well!

That's what fly fishing is for me at least.

I forgot one other thing. My time guiding. The rewards received from sharing my knowledge and experience. When you take someone out on the water and teach them what you know, and then watch them apply what you taught them. That is pure joy for me. Especially when it is a novice or young child catching their fist fish on a fly. The smile on their face and the pride and joy in their eyes never gets old. The long days rowing and maintaining your gear, all the tangled lines, the lunches prepaired, miles driven, personal fishing days and sleep lost are all worth watching someone succeed because of your guidance!!

Last edited:

Bigfly

Reaction score
Davo, I couldn't have said it better. Helping someone exceed their perceived limitations,
is as fulfilling a thing as one can do. Whether it's fishing, or inverted fractions.
Hooking a fatty ranks in there somewhere too.
But after 3 long months off the water (in the city), I know it's the environment that matters most to me.
Last night, I watched some fish for an hour or so, didn't even feel the need to catch them.
Just savored the stream sounds, rises, birds drinking/bathing before bed, and clean air.
Spring is coming, and all the critters know it, including me.
I should say, there is some satisfaction in adding yet another fly fishing season, to to those I've already fished.
And of course, there is the chance to further improve my own skills, or at least try.

Jim

Last edited:

possessed

Reaction score
I have always loved fishing. When I was a little kid, I loved playing at my Grandma's farm, mostly down in the creek. I think fly fishing small mountain streams combines my two loves, playing in the creek and fishing, at the same time, it takes me back to my childhood. :D

Of course, nothing can compare to the scenery and beautiful views of the mountains. It's also quite peaceful, being out there all alone, just me and the bears.

Also, it is very rewarding to catch a trout, knowing I have outsmarted a fish with a brain about the size of the fly I tricked him into eating. :)

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this Dave....just watched the film and loved it.I read and studied the book when I was at university.Still wonder why I still;)enjoy fishing so much after so many years.....do I really need to know why?There must be more than an answer to this question....:)

crittergetter

Reaction score
Ditto's on what everybody says...

My "high stick nymphing" add is that moment when something is just different for a split moment in time, you don't know what it is but you set and BAM you got a fish on.