Aussie Visiting USA

reckless

Reaction score
Hi Guy,s. Back last year I was lucky enough to visit Texas and Yellowstone and got some great advice before getting to the states and thanks to all for your help. Next year I am planning a trip to Colorado and was wanting to know if August to September would be good and if so some advice as to where to go as I will be flying into Denver and picking up an RV. Also what weight rods should I bring for stream and river fishing.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi reckless,

I am sorry that no one answered your question. There are several members who fish Colorado who might be able to help you. You might try posting your question again and put Colorado in the title.

You might also consider a Fly Fishing Guide Book for Colorado. Here is a link to a site that may be helpful for you.

reckless

Reaction score
Thanks Frank. I will try that if I get no more answers. I got some great advice when I went to Texas and Yellowstone and got in some great fishing. Some time back I mentioned I was going to get a Hardy reel refinished and would let you know how it turned out. It just proved too expensive to , post , insure and the cost of the refin. So I did not end up doing it.
Thanks for the advice. Neil

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Neil,

Well I hadn't forgot about that refinish but I forgot who was doing it. Thanks for letting me know. We are getting so many post that it is hard to keep up with everyone.

Here is a post from mcnerney. I am sure he would have posted if he had seen your post. He must be out fishing. You might try a search on Colorado ans see what turns up.

Frank

mcnerney wrote:

What time frame are you talking about. All the freestone rivers in the west are in run off conditions and that should last for another 3-4 weeks depending on the stream. In the interim you could hit some tailwaters. There are hundreds of choices in the areas you are looking at, to name a few, for Colorado I would suggest the Roaring Fork and Frying Pan rivers in the Basalt area, further north you could hit one of the many streams and small lakes in Rockie Mountain NP just west of Estes, CO. Going north from there I would hit the North Platte river which starts near Walden, CO and heads north into southern WY. While in that area you would also have the opportunity to hit the Yampa river, it runs through Steamboat Springs, CO and just south of town is another good tailwater coming out of Stagecoach reservoir. The upper sections of the North Platte have plenty of public access, but as you get into the lower sections it is mostly private land. In the same area I would also recommend French and Douglas creeks in the Snowy Mtns west of Laramie, WY. North of Sinclair, WY the North Platte goes through a couple large reservoirs and the output of Pathfinder reservoir is a section called the Miracle Mile that has some pretty decent fishing and its all on public land so access is not a problem and there are campsites along the river. Then if you like tailwaters you could hit the Grey Reef section of the North Platte about 30 miles south of Casper, WY. The land is mstly private, but the state has a number of public access points along the river for good wade fishing. Then you could either head north and hit the Bighorn river, another tailwater in Ft Smith, MT or another option would be to head northwest and hit the upper Green River just north of Pinedale, WY. Just above the Warren Bridge there is BLM land along the river for about 20 miles with around 12 campsites. From there you are about 75 miles from Jackson, WY and the southern end of Yellowstone Park. So many choices, so little time! Good luck with your trip.

Larry

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Hang in there Neil, I'm sure the Colorado guys will weigh in with some good advice.

I've fished out there a bit in August near Aspen (Roaring Fork and Frying Pan) and the fishing was excellent. There are many many options, including the Animas near Durango (in south west Colorado) and many options closer to Denver like the Big Thompson, South Platte, Blue and many more.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of great advice.

mark

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
reckless: Spring runoff usually is done by the first of July, this year it looks like mid-July. Last winter we had a pretty good snow pack and then this spring has been pretty wet with constant rain, so August to Sept should be a great time to visit Colorado. Bring a 5 wt rod if you have one, if not a 4 or 6 wt rod will be just fine. Before you come try to order a copy of the book "Flyfisher's Guide to Colorado" by Mary Bartholomew, it is a great book that will detail all of the information you will need for fishing CO. Colorado has so many great fishing streams it will be hard to cover them all, but here are some of my favorites: The Roaring Fork River and Frying Pan near Basalt, CO, both rivers offer excellent fishing and have numerous public access points. The South Platte River (called the Miracle Mile) southwest of Denver, this river offers outstanding fishing but the pressure is heavy so if you plan to fish this river I would highly recommend a guide. Colorado Fly Fishing with the Blue Quill Angler Fly Shop
The Taylor River near Almont, CO. The Conejos River near Antonito, CO. The Colorado River near Parshall, CO. The Yampa River near Steamboat Springs, CO. If you happen to fish the streams in SW Colorado then I would also recommend that you fish the San Juan River, NM, this is a great fishery but sees heavy pressure so I would highly recommend a guide but it offers up some outstanding fishing.
That should give you some starting points, like I said there are so many great places to fish in Colorado and not knowing what kind of streams you like to fish it is hard to provide information specific to your tastes.

Larry

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
reckless: We have a member (Yatahey) on the forum who fishes the South Fork and the Deckers areas quite a bit, if he doesn't see this thread and you are interested in fishing those areas, I would highly recommend that you PM him.

Larry