Advice

Eddie O'Neill

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

As things stand I may be spending my retirement in the USA. My wife is from your side of the pond and has longed to get back home. We currently live in the U.K. Her family are from New York, but they are spread out between New Jersey and Mass.

Big question is, where would I choose to live?;) A huge factor in the decision will be access to fishing:cool:, on rivers and lakes. In the main I fly fish for trout, however may look to expand this to other species given location.

Of the states in New England, which ones offer the best trout fishing. A very broad question, but I need to start somewhere.

ausablebrown

Reaction score
What other criteria will you factor into your decision? If you want remote, you probably want to move to Western Maine. If you want ammenities and civilization, then you may want the areas closer to the populated coasts. Maine is famous for smallmouth and brook trout fishing. If I had to pick anywhere in the USA, my list is as follows

1. Western Montana
2. UP of Michigan
3. Western/Northern Maine

Pretty obvious that I don't like people around

ausablebrown

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. Only other factors would be
1. Up to 3 hour drive to regional airport
2. Not a tourist location
3. No outrageous real estate prices:D:D
I don't know anything about Maine real estate, but I'm pretty sure if you get away from the coast, then you will be neither high priced, or overrun with tourists. The tourists are on the coast; Acadia, and Bar Harbor region. Once you get off of the main tourist highway from the south, Maine is very remote. I know there is an airport in Portland Maine, which is within 3 hours of pretty much anywhere in Maine. It is beautiful country, black bear, moose, thousands of lakes streams and creeks. The chowder and Lobster aint bad either!

You might get better information from some of the members who live in New England; I just though I'd share my favorite spot with you. Good luck in your search, and congratulations on retirement. May it be filled with many tight lines and streamside flasks!

Last edited:

mikel

Reaction score
Eddie...not concerned about the weather? Everything said so far about W Maine is true, but I used to get there on business and seems like I remember 8 months of winter and 4 months of sub par snowmobiling. There are little issues like mud and bugs as well.

Maine is wonderful and the people there are a hoot. Maine humor is off the hook. I could not deal with the weather to live there, however.

-Mike

Rip Tide

Reaction score
The best trout fishing in New England is also where they have the most snow, if that makes a difference. :D
For trout and salmon fishing in Maine it's the Rangely region in the west, most anywhere in the north central part of the state above Moosehead Lake, plus out "downeast" where the sun rises first. ;)
Rangley is not too far from Portland, close to three hours, I'd say. The other two areas are are more remote and closer to Bangor

The state of Vermont has numerous lightly fished, high quality streams and Vermont is pretty as a picture

The northern tip of New Hampshire is flanked by the Connecticut River in west and the Androscoggin in the east and is just far enough away from the tourist infected White Mountains

There's also a few quality rivers in western Mass, most notably the Deerfield, plus in Connecticut there's the well known Farmington and Hoosatonic

Cape Cod, Massachusetts is tourist central, but there's the world class striper fishing to consider.
I fish there pretty regularly and often run into from gentlemen from "your side" who come over for weeks at a time every year.

A couple of pictures from Cape Cod this past season

Last edited:

ssmith

Reaction score
Northern New York off the salmon river has some great atlantic salmon runs from what I hear and its not to terribly far from your wifes family, realestate might be rough though. I like the u.p. of Michigan, there are runs of steely, coho and king there and the boundry waters are amazing all around fishing for trout, salmon, pike and walleye. All are good fighting and eating (minus pike for the eating but that's just my opinion). But its very remote and the weather can be hard. Realestate is cheap though and if you hunt it might be the perfect place as towns shut down on opening day of deer season.

I'm very partial to the great lakes region having grown up here

swirlchaser

Reaction score
The best trout fishing in New England is also where they have the most snow, if that makes a difference. :D
For trout and salmon fishing in Maine it's the Rangely region in the west, most anywhere in the north central part of the state above Moosehead Lake, plus out "downeast" where the sun rises first. ;)
Rangley is not too far from Portland, close to three hours, I'd say. The other two areas are are more remote and closer to Bangor

The state of Vermont has numerous lightly fished, high quality streams and Vermont is pretty as a picture

The northern tip of New Hampshire is flanked by the Connecticut River in west and the Androscoggin in the east and is just far enough away from the tourist infected White Mountains

There's also a few quality rivers in western Mass, most notably the Deerfield, plus in Connecticut there's the well known Farmington and Hoosatonic

Cape Cod, Massachusetts is tourist central, but there's the world class striper fishing to consider.
I fish there pretty regularly and often run into from gentlemen from "your side" who come over for weeks at a time every year.

A couple of pictures from Cape Cod this past season

Rip Tide
Completely off topic, but isn't the TFO TiCrX an awesome Striper Rod? I've been fishing a 9wt for 2 years now and I can't say enough about it. It shoots a 40+ cold water line like nothing I've ever handled before.

o mykiss

Reaction score
What other criteria will you factor into your decision? If you want remote, you probably want to move to Western Maine. If you want ammenities and civilization, then you may want the areas closer to the populated coasts. Maine is famous for smallmouth and brook trout fishing. If I had to pick anywhere in the USA, my list is as follows

1. Western Montana
2. UP of Michigan
3. Western/Northern Maine

Pretty obvious that I don't like people around

excellent choice.

bjweller

Reaction score
I don't know if you are sold on New England, but obviously trout fishing in the Rocky Mtns is legendary. Denver, CO is 45 min from DIA (International). This is where I live and I can't really see retiring anywhere else for me. Also, Montana may have the best fishing in the U.S.-trout wise. If you do ever come to CO, post to me or send me an message. I would be happy to show you around the waters.

usus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Bret and o mykiss have it right. If it were me, I'd consider remarriage to a lass whose family was smart enough to locate in the Rocky Mountain region (don't tell my wife I said this). ;)
remarriage?? not good to go.

Eddie O'Neill

Reaction score
I don't know if you are sold on New England, but obviously trout fishing in the Rocky Mtns is legendary. Denver, CO is 45 min from DIA (International). This is where I live and I can't really see retiring anywhere else for me. Also, Montana may have the best fishing in the U.S.-trout wise. If you do ever come to CO, post to me or send me an message. I would be happy to show you around the waters.
Thanks for the offer.:) Given the last few posts, I may need to look further than NE. It just seemed the obvious choice. Changing the wife is not an option.;);)

EXPATRIATE

Reaction score
Hi Eddie-Afraid I'm in a different spot to you-my wife is english, I'm retired and would LOVE to move back to the USA but guess who doesn't? My son and his family live in Australia and outside of my daughter in London the only family she has left is her brother who she seldom sees. I'm born in Anacortes, Washington and always miss it terribly when I go back for a visit-the last time only last June. Anyway wherever you decide to move don't forget the Pacific Northwest is a lovely place, too and the fishing is second to none! Sound like a souped-up real estate salesman, don't I?:rolleyes:

Eddie O'Neill

Reaction score
Hi Eddie-Afraid I'm in a different spot to you-my wife is english, I'm retired and would LOVE to move back to the USA but guess who doesn't? My son and his family live in Australia and outside of my daughter in London the only family she has left is her brother who she seldom sees. I'm born in Anacortes, Washington and always miss it terribly when I go back for a visit-the last time only last June. Anyway wherever you decide to move don't forget the Pacific Northwest is a lovely place, too and the fishing is second to none! Sound like a souped-up real estate salesman, don't I?:rolleyes:
Decisions, Decisions. I know how you feel, I am Scottish and currently live in England. If it was up to me, I would be homeward bound to Scotland,;);) fantastic fishing. But always have to consider the other half.

trout333

Reaction score
Fort Collins, Colorado is the place to be! I'm a Realtor here so I'll even help you buy a house right on the Cache La Poudre River :D

Here is a beautiful river front home! http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/174-Manners-Ln_Bellvue_CO_80512_M11497-29029

But seriously, this is a great town. Its got a big small town feel. 300 days of sunshine a year. The median home price is about $230,000 and the cost of living is very appealing. Hmmm, what else? Fort Collins is about an hour from Denver, Denver International Airport, and Wyoming (another heavenly place to fish for trout). Here is a recently published article about Fort Collins being picked #1 by Money Magazine's "Best Places to Live"... MONEY Magazine: Best places to live 2006: Fort Collins, CO snapshot

Some nearby (from 5 minutes up to 3 hours drive) fishing hot spots for trout: Yampa River, North Platte River, South Platte River, Blue River, Cache La Poudre River, Big Thompson River, St Vrain Creek, and the Colorado River to name just a few!

Last edited: