orange aliens invasion

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yesterday I went fishing with my friends Batistou and JM,we started at about 8 the river was clear and the fish active...by 9 we heard a great hurly-burly on the opposite bank:(...30 canoes were taken down from a truck and hordes of shouting and screaming orange aliens lauched them into the river...:some of them got near us :no hello,no goodmorning,no sorry!:icon_evilI had a few "gentle words" with the instructor who seemed completely overtaken by events:mad::)...fortunately they went downstream where we had just fished ...we moved upstream and went on fishing quietly...we had great fun and enjoyed ourselves very much :tongue:

Attachments

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
JP: That was funny, so now you have experienced a good orange canoe hatch! LOL!
When I was fishing the Yampa River above Steamboat a couple weeks ago I had a couple of canoes and a few kayaks float by, but they were very polite, nothing like what you experienced. I have heard that in the summer months on the Green River below Flaming Gorge Reservoir there is a huge tuber hatch. The folks in the know say to launch after 10 am to avoid all of the rubber rafts and yelling tourists. When we were there in the spring it was too cold for the floaters to be on the river so we didn't see the tuber hatch personally.

Larry

Bigfly

Reaction score
We call it a raft hatch here and it doesn't help fishing much. But what can you do? We seem to lean towards rudeness these days, TV I think.

Pocono

Reaction score
I definitely agree with the TV influence statement.

I was fishing the Broadhead about two weeks ago; it was clearly blown out from all the rain that we've had in the East over the past month (we're 3 inches over for rain in the month of June - but still behind for the year). Anyway, I was fishing deep with a double nymph rig in the tannic water and getting some good sized browns/rainbows, when all of a sudden 37 kayaks (yes, I counted them as they went by) appeared at the top of the falls section where I was fishing. Normally, those falls would have turned back most kayakers, but with the blown-out condtions, the vertical drop was only about 15 ft. and that was, apparently, fair game for this throng. About 20 % of them ended up upside down at the bottom of the falls and had to be righted by one of the instructors. The noise, the yelling, and the cheering were almost loud enough so that you couldn't hear the falls!.

Most of them waved as they past by where I was fishing and some of them evey said "sorry". But, overall, it was a real bummer. And that was the end of that day's fishing. First time I've ever seen it on the Broadhead. I hope it's the last!

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
I heard this story from Umpqua Feather Merchants Fly Tyer, Andy Burk. Bigfly may have heard this before. Andy told the story when he did a presentation at the local fly shop.

Andy was fishing the Truckee River. When a raft would go by, sometimes he saw the back of a trout in the eddy behind the raft. After seeing a few fish, Andy decided to toss out a dry fly into one of those eddies. BAM!!! It was fish on. From time to time, he makes those casts. He's pretty much selective though. He only makes those casts behind rafts if a friendly guide in on board. But then again, Andy knows just about every raft guide on the river.

MP

FrankB2

Reaction score
Kayaking has become a very popular hobby, and reminds me of the mountain
bike craze of the 1990's. The local lake is swarming with kayaks year round
now, but they tend to stick toward the middle of the lake. Hikers raised
heck when mountainbikers began using hiking trails, and were successful
in getting MTB's banned from many trails. The more intelligent bikers worked
with hikers to widen trails, and educate other bikers about yielding to hikers.

I don't know if it's TV or what, but people just seem more careless in general
now. Driving down the highway has become a bloodsport, punctuated with
frequent "Did you see that???" comments after a convoy of idiots weave
across 3 lanes and back again:eek::eek:!

The kayak tourists may be completely clueless about fishing, and view us
as hicks with sticks. Most people I know don't fish, and have never even
been fishing. If I see that kayakers, tubers, etc, are approaching the section
I'm fishing, I make extra long casts with as much false casting as possible.
That often gets their attention, and they stay further away. Given time, they
can become as educated trout:D

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
Here in Michigan we have the aluminum hatch. It hits most of our bigger streams, with blanket hatches on the weekends. Hatch times are usually strongest between 10 and 3, then begin to tail off. This hatch goes from mid May until the end of August into September depending on the water. They can be identified by their appearance and activity; the later in the day it is the redder they are and the louder they are. A lot seem to get very erratic as the day wears on. One note on this hatch here in MI; they almost all ask how the fishing is.

My most vivid memory of this hatch occured on the South Branch of the AuSable River at Daisy Bend. It was a beautiful sunny day and three very nice looking young ladies came floating down the river topless. I was sitting on the bank taking a break as they approached and said "Hello, beautiful day, huh?" They were a bit startled, and immediately paddled back upstream around the bend. A few minutes passed, and here they came again; this time with tops on. As they passed by they said "beautiful day" and I said "it sure was", and then I told them it might be wise to use sunscreen...LOL

Sorry no pics, just in my mind...

Dan