fly fishable from bank and or wading CFS

ashtree

Reaction score
Just a question to you guys and gals that fly fish, here in Central California most of my local rivers are high and fast, 6500 CFS right now, during the winter its fishable from the bank/wading, was wondering what is a safe and ideal CFS to flyfish on a river wading/bank etc.. would appreciate your insight, have a cool one.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
6.5k cfs is a pretty good flow, but I think it would be ok for wading depending on how the river is constructed, you just have to pick your spots. I'd look for shallow areas, riffles, side channels, large boulders and any other obstruction that would break up the flow.

Larry

ashtree

Reaction score
Thanks Larry, guess I ain't doing something right, its pretty fast for me, but I guess I have to lead it up or apply different tactics today

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
If it is fast then be real careful! What I was talking about is finding some obstruction that is diverting the water where you can safely wade in slow shallow water. I'm 63 so I don't have the balance I had when I was young so I don't wade in fast water and very rarely in water higher than my waist.

Larry

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi ashtree,

The flow is just part of the story. If it is water with vertical banks then it is very hard to wade at high flows. If the banks are flat then you can usually find wadeable sections along the edges. With vertical banks you have to measure the water depth before you step into the water. Also with high flows and vertical banks it is very dangerous if you get swept off of your feet. It will be difficult to recover.

So try to find flat bank areas and fish the edges. Always wear an inflatable flotation devise and use a wadding staff.

Frank

crittergetter

Reaction score
Don't forget when you fish down stream first it might be easy(er) but turn around and with a heavy CFS stream and try to get home after 3 hours of fishing it is factors harder and possibly dangerous.

When you walk upstream the pressure on your chest changes things and sometimes makes the water run over the big hole in the top. :^)

Not that I have experienced this before but I was spooked a bit after wading downstream with somewhat ease and then only to discover my trip back home was not as fun.. and the excitement really sucked...

Also, ask a local guide. They will usually tell you what the MAX CFS are for them to take a client out. It is a real good rule of thumb to trust what they say even if you think it is conservative. There are other day's to fish.

CritterGetter

Bigfly

Reaction score
I went big on the Yuba this year (3500) and almost got washed away.
I tap danced for about twenty feet before I got my studs to stick. A large swirling undercut would probably have been the end. It was only knee deep but increased in speed and was bare rock, and slick. They make a belt pouch auto inflate for sketchy conditions. A good value in retrospect!

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
This particular belt inflatable PFD (a Stearns - image below) has a small footprint and does not get in the way; plus, its belt substitutes for a wading belt and you can attach accessories to it. If you don't use a wading staff you'd be surprised how much stability it adds to wading in tricky situations. Just be sure to tether it so you don't lose it in hairy situations (the Orvis Magnetic Wading Staff Retriever - image also below - not only tethers, it keeps the staff floating within easy arm reach for emergency grabbing).

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
This particular belt inflatable PFD (a Stearns - image below) has a small footprint and does not get in the way; plus, its belt substitutes for a wading belt and you can attach accessories to it. If you don't use a wading staff you'd be surprised how much stability it adds to wading in tricky situations. Just be sure to tether it so you don't lose it in hairy situations (the Orvis Magnetic Wading Staff Retriever - image also below - not only tethers, it keeps the staff floating within easy arm reach for emergency grabbing).
Sorry . . . computer crashed while I was adding the images. They're below:

Attachments