Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 38

Thread: How much $ to replace a Cork handle?

  1. #21

    Default Re: How much $ to replace a Cork handle?

    i don't know anything about rod building but is it possible to cut the affected rings off with a razor and split the new ones in half then glue them on? seems to me like the glue joint would be just as strong as it is between the 2 sections, thats if they wont warranty it.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Parlin, NJ / Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    2,063

    Default Re: How much $ to replace a Cork handle?

    Quote Originally Posted by araitim View Post
    i don't know anything about rod building but is it possible to cut the affected rings off with a razor and split the new ones in half then glue them on? seems to me like the glue joint would be just as strong as it is between the 2 sections, thats if they wont warranty it.
    When you build a cork grip all the rings are fitted individually and start out the same diameter. Then you glue and clamp them together at the top and bottom. When it's dry the entire grip is turned and shaped. If you try to clamp an 1 1/4" cork ring to one that's already been turned down to 1/2" it's going to get ugly. If you don't clamp the rings together your only relying on the bond between the ring and the blank, this isn't very strong. When you clamp them they bond to each other as well.
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

  3. #23

    Default Re: How much $ to replace a Cork handle?

    Winston wants $150 plus shipping and processing fee to repair the rod. They said it would be $75 to replace the cork handle, but the reel seat would have to be replaced also at a cost of $75. They were pretty quick to mention that if I was the original registered owner, then it would be $50 plus shipping. Though I expected it to cost a small fortune, I didn't expect it to be almost $200!

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Parlin, NJ / Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    2,063

    Default Re: How much $ to replace a Cork handle?

    Quote Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
    Winston wants $150 plus shipping and processing fee to repair the rod. They said it would be $75 to replace the cork handle, but the reel seat would have to be replaced also at a cost of $75. They were pretty quick to mention that if I was the original registered owner, then it would be $50 plus shipping. Though I expected it to cost a small fortune, I didn't expect it to be almost $200!
    I'm surprised, I would never have expected that! Hope someone from Winston is reading this...
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
    Posts
    10,685

    Thumbs down Holy ****!

    Quote Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
    Winston wants $150 plus shipping and processing fee to repair the rod. They said it would be $75 to replace the cork handle, but the reel seat would have to be replaced also at a cost of $75. They were pretty quick to mention that if I was the original registered owner, then it would be $50 plus shipping. Though I expected it to cost a small fortune, I didn't expect it to be almost $200!
    That really is 'over the top.' Sounds more like they're telling you to 'go away, we don't want to be bothered.'

    A new reel seat (unless you want something like a Strub. Nich- Silver is just a 'couple of bucks.' So just adds suggestion of 'go away.'

    Right now Winston's not getting the 'best of press' on many Internet fly boards (here, the UK and Europe) and maybe this is a darned good example of 'why?'

    If this is their Corporate Attitude, why would you EVER want to purchase one of their rods ... specially 'second hand?'

    For the kind of money they're talking about you can buy a (actually) darned good rod/reel/line/etc., from Cabala's/Pro Bass/else where for the same kind of money.

    'Reputation' will only get you so far .. then it's the 'odd things' that really sell other rods. "I had this really odd thing, purchased a used Winston rod and had a problem. Gad Zooks did they ever take care of me!''

    Another thousand rods sold ... or in this case .. another 1,000 rods that won't be sold. "Penny wise, Pound foolish."

    Just my thoughts, just my thoughts.

    fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Parlin, NJ / Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    2,063

    Default Re: How much $ to replace a Cork handle?

    three letter. TFO.
    Good rods, good prices, awesome customer service. I know I've told this story before but I'll tell it again.
    I was in a car accident two years ago. My car was t-boned. My 4PC. 9WT was in the back seat in a rod tube. The entire tube and all four sections snapped in two. I explained what happened to TFO. I was told "no-fault means no-fault, just send back the 8 pieces" I had a new rod ten days later. They didn't have to do that. I didn't expect them to. 2 years later I own 6 TFO rods...
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wasilla / Skwentna, Alaska
    Posts
    15,265
    Blog Entries
    111

    Default Re: How much $ to replace a Cork handle?

    Quote Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
    Winston wants $150 plus shipping and processing fee to repair the rod. They said it would be $75 to replace the cork handle, but the reel seat would have to be replaced also at a cost of $75. They were pretty quick to mention that if I was the original registered owner, then it would be $50 plus shipping. Though I expected it to cost a small fortune, I didn't expect it to be almost $200!
    Wow!

    So in other words anyone who bought a Winston rod and failed to register the rod has no coverage.

    Swirlchaser,

    When you contacted TFO about the broken rod did they grill you over your registration? I have had three rods repaired at no cost other than mine for mailing the rods in and no one ever pressed the registration issue. I bought them all new from Orvis but have no idea if I actually mailed the card in.

    I still have a broken Grey's Platinum X 9' 6" 7 weight (460 dollar rod) because the company wants $170 plus shipping to Vancouver and back to replace a broken mid section. They don't care why it broke (while fishing not by accident) and I replaced the rod years ago with a Quarrow. Too bad for Grey's because I took them off of my buying list.

    Ard

    Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

    Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Parlin, NJ / Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    2,063

    Default Re: How much $ to replace a Cork handle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
    Wow!

    So in other words anyone who bought a Winston rod and failed to register the rod has no coverage.

    Swirlchaser,

    When you contacted TFO about the broken rod did they grill you over your registration? I have had three rods repaired at no cost other than mine for mailing the rods in and no one ever pressed the registration issue. I bought them all new from Orvis but have no idea if I actually mailed the card in.

    I still have a broken Grey's Platinum X 9' 6" 7 weight (460 dollar rod) because the company wants $170 plus shipping to Vancouver and back to replace a broken mid section. They don't care why it broke (while fishing not by accident) and I replaced the rod years ago with a Quarrow. Too bad for Grey's because I took them off of my buying list.

    Ard
    No one even asked me and I'm terrible about warranty cards so I'm sure I never sent them in.
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wasilla / Skwentna, Alaska
    Posts
    15,265
    Blog Entries
    111

    Default Re: How much $ to replace a Cork handle?

    I knew there was a reason I have never owned a Winston rod. It must have been intuitive because those cane rods were more expensive than a Winston Graphite. My old Orvis Far and Fine graphite cost me $330 in 1979 so it wasn't being afraid to spend money.

    Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

    Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Parlin, NJ / Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    2,063

    Default Re: How much $ to replace a Cork handle?

    It's not even so much about the money. I don't mind a company making a profit, but once you earn a customer you should really learn how to keep them.
    Lets face it, there is very little craftsmanship left in building a rod today (cane excluded). If you have enough money, a computer program and some machines your all set. None of these rods are hand rolled anymore so what sets you apart? Customer service.
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Dirty Cork
    By Braunbear66 in forum The Daily Papers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-15-2011, 06:42 PM
  2. How do I clean the cork without damage?
    By crittergetter in forum Fly Rod Building
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-23-2009, 07:44 PM
  3. Replace reel seat and cork?
    By trout champ in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-25-2008, 09:03 PM
  4. Fly Rod Choices to replace one broken ?
    By tie one on in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-27-2007, 07:48 AM
  5. Care of Cork Handles
    By Jakeway in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-22-2006, 10:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •