Close Encounters

pszy22

Reaction score
I went fishing this evening in my local subdivision pond. I looked up and saw a Blue Heron on the opposite shore (maybe about 65' away). He was watching me intently, almost as though he knew I was fishing. As I worked my way down the shore line, he followed me step for step,maybe 40' down the shore line, all the time with a fixed gaze.

I got to wondering what would happen if I tossed him a fish. I caught a smallish bluegill, and gave it a toss across the pond. It didn't make it all the way to the far bank, the heron waded in two steps to where the fish had splashed down, of course the fish had swum away. I looked away from the heron to get back to fishing, when I glanced back, he was gone.

When I turned back to watch my popper, I see the heron had come across the pond, and was now on my side, maybe 30' away. I caught another small gill, tossed it his way, he was on it like Oprah on a Easter ham. Down it went, he then took a sip of water to wash it down. Then he came about 5' closer. Caught another small gill, and he downed that one as well. I wasn't sure how much a heron can pack down, and I didn't want to over feed him. So I decided to head home so he could go about his business. He followed me several steps, but once he saw I was leaving, off he went.

Very neat.

Joni

Reaction score
That was nice of you and funny. I think you made a friend.

pszy22

Reaction score
The old boy was back again this evening. I purposely dropped the fish close, within a rod's length, and in he'd come. He woud then scurry back and hold his position about 20' away waiting for the next offering. As much as I like the heron, I'm starting to feel sorry for the poor bluegills.