Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default My floating line sinks

Hi All. I'm new to the sport and have a WF floating line. Originally purchased to play around with panfish, I now use it to chase trout (got 2 browns and a rainbow last night during the Hex hatch). I've mostly fished dry flies but want to try some nymphs. I've seen/read that you watch the tip of your fly line for pauses to indicate a fish has taken the fly. Well, the first 12-18 inches of my fly line sinks. Is that normal? Is it the braided loop connector that I've got on there? Should I cut that off and tie a perfection loop instead? Any info would be appreciated.

Default Re: My floating line sinks

Sounds as if you need to seal the flyline where your leader is tied. Frank will show up soon and tell you to use Pliobond (sp?) to seal the knot and end of the flyline. He would not be wrong.

What happens is that, over time, your flyline will get water within it's core and sink. IMO, I would not use superglue or anything like that as it is not flexible.
    It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
    What manner of jackassery will I be subjected to today?

Quote Originally Posted by axle27 View Post
    Sounds as if you need to seal the flyline where your leader is tied. Frank will show up soon and tell you to use Pliobond (sp?) to seal the knot and end of the flyline. He would not be wrong.

What happens is that, over time, your flyline will get water within it's core and sink. IMO, I would not use superglue or anything like that as it is not flexible.
    How about Knot Sense? Reason I ask is that it dries faster than Pliobond if you either put it in sunlight for a few seconds or use their proprietary light if indoors?
    On the whole, I'd rather be in Wyoming . . .
    Fly2:

I have not used knot sense so I can't comment on it. I know that alot of people use it to close there knots, but don't know how effective it is in sealing the end of the fly line.
    It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
    What manner of jackassery will I be subjected to today?

I use Goop

Jay... your line might be just dirty. Wipe it down and apply a little paste floatant
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Hi jayodonn,

Some people like the braided loop and it works OK if it is installed correctly. I am guessing that you didn't seal the end of the fly line when you installed the loop. You need to cut off the sinking part of the tip and then seal the end of the fly line with Pliobond or some other water proof flexible glue. Super Glues dry hard and are not flexible.

Before you cut off the tip you need to look at the line and determine how long the tip of the fly line is. You can do this with a micrometer or calipers. The trick to measuring a fly line is to not close the measuring devise onto the line. You close the devise until it just about fits and then lay the fly line on the gap. Keep adjusting the gap until the fly line just falls into the lips of the micrometer or calipers. Now lock the measuring devise and try different places along the front of the line. When it won't fall into the lips you have reached a larger diameter. If you have a long tip on the fly line cutting up to half won't make a lot of difference. Might even make it cast better.

Now after all that exclamation on how to measure your line you may be able to just look at the line and see where the tip transitions to the head of the fly line. You didn't say who made you fly line. If it is a lower cost line it may just be poorly made and you need to get a better line.

Frank

Hi Neil,

I have not used Knot Sense but was told it dries hard. It is true it dries faster than Pliobond. If it works for you then go for it.

I prefer a flexable glue on permanate knots. I just added backing to a new Fly Line and use a nail knot to fasten the two together. I covered the knot with Pliobond and made the knot a little more streamlined. It winds nicely on to the spool bieng flexable.

Frank

Hi Frank,

I use Pliobond on knots (like line-to-leader, etc.) for knots on the backing/line/leader that are likely to get much flexing, because as you have said, the glues that dry stiffer will end up cracking what they're affixed to. That means I put up with the extra drying time of Pliobond on my nail knots and leader-butt-to-new-leader connections, but do use Knot Sense on my backing-to-fly line knot since I very rarely have the wonderful problem of getting into the backing. As for sealing-cut-fly-line purposes, I've not made my mind up whether the reputed lack of flexibility of Knot Sense would make any difference on just a mini-dot of glue on a cut fly line end (which I run into quite a bit since I routinely cut off the welded loops on my newly-acquired fly lines).

Cheers,
    Neil
    On the whole, I'd rather be in Wyoming . . .
    Fly2:

9. Default Re: My floating line sinks

Thanks all. Will give those suggestions a try. I plan to replace the line very soon, but wanted to know what I can do in the interim.

10. Default Re: My floating line sinks

I don't know what pliobond is, i use aqua sure to seal the end before i attach the loop, and it hasn't failed me yet.
    Cheers
    Richard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast