Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 63
  1. Default Best fishing town in america?

    So I stumbled upon this awesome sounding contest where a winning town gets 25,000 bucks to develop fishing in the area if it gets enough votes, and a whole bunch of awareness about it. It's over on the world fishing network site. There's one for Canada too.

    Be interesting to see who wins this one, coming from a small town I'll admit I hope it's not a big city that gets it. What is the most ultimate fishing town do you think???

  2. #2

    Default Re: Best fishing town in america?

    cool.....

    i would have to say: MISSOULA, MONTANA....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Pinedale, WY
    Posts
    19,022
    Blog Entries
    50

    Default Re: Best fishing town in america?

    Quote Originally Posted by o mykiss View Post
    cool.....

    i would have to say: MISSOULA, MONTANA....
    What about Dillon, twin Bridges or Ennis, MT

    Larry
    Larry


  4. #4

    Default Re: Best fishing town in america?

    Bend, OR. Tons of rivers in the area, plus stillwater and steelhead action in some of the rivers.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Best fishing town in america?

    They had this in Canada last year and Port Alberni B.C. won Best fishing town title a booster . I assumed they had it in the states as well but i guess not, glad to hear you guys can get in on it now too.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Western Montana
    Posts
    4,652

    Default Re: Best fishing town in america?

    Quote Originally Posted by o mykiss View Post
    cool.....

    i would have to say: MISSOULA, MONTANA....
    NO. Missoula is awful. Terrible place, you don't want to stop here on your way to Spokane or Seattle or where ever you are going!

    I love living in Missoula, most of the time. It is currently 6 degrees with winds gusting 25 MPH.

    Seriously, the LAST thing that any local of Missoula (and probably Dillon, Twin Bridges, etc) would want is to be named the "best of" anything that will draw more tourists to flog the local fisheries. There was a movie a dozen years that did a pretty job of it then. Maybe a place like Jackson, WY or Ennis or Pinedale or West Yellowstone that is already defined as a fishing town and tourist trap wouldn't mind. (OK, Ennis and Pinedale aren't tourist traps.)

    ---------- Post added at 01:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
    What about Dillon, twin Bridges or Ennis, MT

    Larry
    Those are a few of my favorite things, Larry. But actually for the country, there ain't much to Twin or Ennis.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ben Lomond, Ca
    Posts
    2,253
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Best fishing town in america?

    There are too many choices...those mentioned are all winners. In California there are (IMO) 2 contenders.

    (1) Bishop (Sierra high country, Owens river, E Walker, Crowley Lake, countless creeks, etc, etc)

    (2) Redding (upper/lower Sac, Baum Lake, Hat Cr, McCloud R, Pitt R, Trinity/Klamath steelhead, etc, etc)

    Reno/Gardnerville is pretty good too...

    My pick overall would be Missoula, since you can get to so much premium water in so many directions for day trips.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Western Montana
    Posts
    4,652

    Default Re: Best fishing town in america?

    Quote Originally Posted by mikel View Post
    There are too many choices...those mentioned are all winners. In California there are (IMO) 2 contenders.

    (1) Bishop (Sierra high country, Owens river, E Walker, Crowley Lake, countless creeks, etc, etc)

    (2) Redding (upper/lower Sac, Baum Lake, Hat Cr, McCloud R, Pitt R, Trinity/Klamath steelhead, etc, etc)

    Reno/Gardnerville is pretty good too...

    My pick overall would be Missoula, since you can get to so much premium water in so many directions for day trips.
    BOZEMAN. Go to Bozeman, it is WAY better - Yellowstone, Gallatin, Jeff, Madison, Paradise Valley -- plus it's fun little cow/coed kinda town!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Monroe, Michigan
    Posts
    2,584

    Default Re: Best fishing town in america?

    I'll give my vote to Grayling MI...Not that I don't like the western choices...

    Dan

  10. #10

    Default Re: Best fishing town in america?

    Quote Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
    NO. Missoula is awful. Terrible place, you don't want to stop here on your way to Spokane or Seattle or where ever you are going!

    I love living in Missoula, most of the time. It is currently 6 degrees with winds gusting 25 MPH.

    Seriously, the LAST thing that any local of Missoula (and probably Dillon, Twin Bridges, etc) would want is to be named the "best of" anything that will draw more tourists to flog the local fisheries. There was a movie a dozen years that did a pretty job of it then. Maybe a place like Jackson, WY or Ennis or Pinedale or West Yellowstone that is already defined as a fishing town and tourist trap wouldn't mind. (OK, Ennis and Pinedale aren't tourist traps.)[COLOR="Silver"]
    oh.... what's it called.... with that brad pitt guy......

    ---------- Post added at 04:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by mikel View Post
    There are too many choices...those mentioned are all winners. In California there are (IMO) 2 contenders.

    (1) Bishop (Sierra high country, Owens river, E Walker, Crowley Lake, countless creeks, etc, etc)

    (2) Redding (upper/lower Sac, Baum Lake, Hat Cr, McCloud R, Pitt R, Trinity/Klamath steelhead, etc, etc)

    Reno/Gardnerville is pretty good too...

    My pick overall would be Missoula, since you can get to so much premium water in so many directions for day trips.
    missoula is nice.... did you know a river runs through it?.....

    ---------- Post added at 04:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
    BOZEMAN. Go to Bozeman, it is WAY better - Yellowstone, Gallatin, Jeff, Madison, Paradise Valley -- plus it's fun little cow/coed kinda town!
    one day.... when i land a job with SIMMS..... as the executive professional product tester

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. In town get aways
    By hcampbell in forum Western U.S.
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-09-2010, 09:29 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-12-2008, 07:11 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-12-2008, 07:11 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-12-2008, 06:41 PM
  5. I am going to be out of town..
    By fshfanatic in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-14-2005, 07:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •