Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Best fishing town in america?

So I stumbled upon this awesome sounding contest where a winning town gets 25,000 bucks to develop fishing in the area if it gets enough votes, and a whole bunch of awareness about it. It's over on the world fishing network site. There's one for Canada too.

Be interesting to see who wins this one, coming from a small town I'll admit I hope it's not a big city that gets it. What is the most ultimate fishing town do you think???

Default Re: Best fishing town in america?

cool.....

i would have to say: MISSOULA, MONTANA....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by o mykiss View Post
    cool.....

What about Dillon, twin Bridges or Ennis, MT

Larry
    Larry

Bend, OR. Tons of rivers in the area, plus stillwater and steelhead action in some of the rivers.

They had this in Canada last year and Port Alberni B.C. won Best fishing town title a booster . I assumed they had it in the states as well but i guess not, glad to hear you guys can get in on it now too.

Quote Originally Posted by o mykiss View Post
    cool.....

NO. Missoula is awful. Terrible place, you don't want to stop here on your way to Spokane or Seattle or where ever you are going!

I love living in Missoula, most of the time. It is currently 6 degrees with winds gusting 25 MPH.

Seriously, the LAST thing that any local of Missoula (and probably Dillon, Twin Bridges, etc) would want is to be named the "best of" anything that will draw more tourists to flog the local fisheries. There was a movie a dozen years that did a pretty job of it then. Maybe a place like Jackson, WY or Ennis or Pinedale or West Yellowstone that is already defined as a fishing town and tourist trap wouldn't mind. (OK, Ennis and Pinedale aren't tourist traps.)

---------- Post added at 01:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
    What about Dillon, twin Bridges or Ennis, MT

Larry
    Those are a few of my favorite things, Larry. But actually for the country, there ain't much to Twin or Ennis.

Blog Entries

There are too many choices...those mentioned are all winners. In California there are (IMO) 2 contenders.

(1) Bishop (Sierra high country, Owens river, E Walker, Crowley Lake, countless creeks, etc, etc)

(2) Redding (upper/lower Sac, Baum Lake, Hat Cr, McCloud R, Pitt R, Trinity/Klamath steelhead, etc, etc)

Reno/Gardnerville is pretty good too...

My pick overall would be Missoula, since you can get to so much premium water in so many directions for day trips.

Quote Originally Posted by mikel View Post
    There are too many choices...those mentioned are all winners. In California there are (IMO) 2 contenders.

(1) Bishop (Sierra high country, Owens river, E Walker, Crowley Lake, countless creeks, etc, etc)

(2) Redding (upper/lower Sac, Baum Lake, Hat Cr, McCloud R, Pitt R, Trinity/Klamath steelhead, etc, etc)

My pick overall would be Missoula, since you can get to so much premium water in so many directions for day trips.
    BOZEMAN. Go to Bozeman, it is WAY better - Yellowstone, Gallatin, Jeff, Madison, Paradise Valley -- plus it's fun little cow/coed kinda town!

I'll give my vote to Grayling MI...Not that I don't like the western choices...

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
    NO. Missoula is awful. Terrible place, you don't want to stop here on your way to Spokane or Seattle or where ever you are going!

I love living in Missoula, most of the time. It is currently 6 degrees with winds gusting 25 MPH.

Seriously, the LAST thing that any local of Missoula (and probably Dillon, Twin Bridges, etc) would want is to be named the "best of" anything that will draw more tourists to flog the local fisheries. There was a movie a dozen years that did a pretty job of it then. Maybe a place like Jackson, WY or Ennis or Pinedale or West Yellowstone that is already defined as a fishing town and tourist trap wouldn't mind. (OK, Ennis and Pinedale aren't tourist traps.)[COLOR="Silver"]
    oh.... what's it called.... with that brad pitt guy......

---------- Post added at 04:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mikel View Post

missoula is nice.... did you know a river runs through it?.....

---------- Post added at 04:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
    BOZEMAN. Go to Bozeman, it is WAY better - Yellowstone, Gallatin, Jeff, Madison, Paradise Valley -- plus it's fun little cow/coed kinda town!
    one day.... when i land a job with SIMMS..... as the executive professional product tester

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast