Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: wheres a good big fish fly fishing trip?

Default wheres a good big fish fly fishing trip?

i live in montana.. i would like to catch some big fish before i check out. price is a consideration.. im thinking about next summer.. maybe next winter if that fits for warmer weather type trip down south... where do you feel a good place to go for 25-50 pound fish is?? fishing with flyrod of course.. im thinking of alaska, but thought id look into other possiblilites that could be cheaper or similar for for a fun trip.. thanks dave...

2. Default Re: wheres a good big fish fly fishing trip?

Quote Originally Posted by ffffg
    i live in montana.. i would like to catch some big fish before i check out. price is a consideration.. im thinking about next summer.. maybe next winter if that fits for warmer weather type trip down south... where do you feel a good place to go for 25-50 pound fish is?? fishing with flyrod of course.. im thinking of alaska, but thought id look into other possiblilites that could be cheaper or similar for for a fun trip.. thanks dave...
    I'll be watching this Dave. Key ingredients . . . big fish, moderate weather, on a flyrod, for a reasonable price. Did I mention big fish? Alas, I can't give you the info., but I am curious to see how many places others might identify that meet the criteria. Good luck!

TJ
    Te vas por la sombrita

3. Default

Well your right alaska isnt cheap but if you wanna fish the exact same runs for less than half why not try terrace b.c canada?beiing american your $ goes really far in canada and terrace is a world class fishing town with numerous guides.All at great prices,I have made several trips to terrace and have never been let down oh ya and as a bonus there is always a chance of spotting a kermode bear(white black bear) only place in the world they exist.

4. Default Re: wheres a good big fish fly fishing trip?

Quote Originally Posted by ffffg
    I suggest salt water. So Cal has several places where you can fish for Bonito or Striped Bass that will kick your @$$ much harder than any 25-50 pound fresh water fish. Even a 5 pound Bonito ( a member of the Jack family, looks like a small tuna) will give you a run on a 12 wt that you will never forget.

This fishing is best in the late summer when it is warm and sunny.

5. Default Re: wheres a good big fish fly fishing trip?

If you don't mind warmwater fly fishing coming up to Manitoba is probably the answer I would give you. Channel Cats and Carp to 40 inches, Pike to 45-50 inches, also Freshwater Drum, Walleye, and even some trout to 30 inches. Just some great fishing up here. If you click on Central Canada you will see a couple of pics of the fish we do catch. Bring your 9 weight with you 'cause you will need it. Don't mean to spam another site but if you go to www.watersidemb.ca you will see quite a few different species we take on the fly. Hope to see you up here.

Default Re: wheres a good big fish fly fishing trip?

Saltwater fish.... they just fight harder than freshwater fish. I was thinking stripers too. perhaps the ones at Lake Mead in Las Vegas. Cheep rates to Vegas and just remember to fish.... not gamble. LOL

This may sound stupid, but if the only reason your interested in big fish is for the fight..... just try using lighter tackle. Those smaller fish can give you a real fight on light small gear.

Aloha,
    Stan