Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Avoiding The Crowds

Ok you just pulled up to a favorite hole and the parking lot is packed and you don't have time to drive to another.

Would you rather hang with the crowds and perhaps catch a few more fish, or would you rather hit the tougher water and have it to yourself.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

2. Default Re: Avoiding The Crowds

I hate crowds, so I'll give up catch rate odds for tranquility...the primary reason I flyfish for trout

"no matter where you go... there you are"

Default Re: Avoiding The Crowds

I have to agree with freestone, Id prefer to be alone. Helps me to just clear my head and enjoy being outdoors. There's much more to fishing than catching fish.....

My half-nickel......
    Seth

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
    ----------------------------------------
    Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...

My favorite hole doesn't have a parking lot.

Blog Entries

Doesn't matter how many cars are in the parking lot, I float a 12 mile stretch of river and know how to read the water. I catch all the fish I could wish. But I do like finding a secluded place to enjoy the serenity. The plain truth is everyone has the right to fish and if you can't share then stay home.
    Davo
    My worst day on the water beats my best day anywhere else hands down!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures

I live on B-water.
    Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave

This is especially true in a few places of Alaska. The Russian River is a good example, but so is the Willow and Montana Creeks and probably dozens if not hundreds of other places.

If I find myself in a crowd I manage to hike either up or down river away from the crowds a few hundred yards, or even a few miles to avoid this.

Thankfully I also know many many many many many many many places that are easily acessed remotely with toys (Airplanes, boats, and various off road vehicles) that I can generally avoid the crowds and have an amazing experience catching fish.

Blog Entries

Nerka,

You've got that right, getting away and expending some effort in doing so is well worth it. I can't do the Russian or the others you mentioned. Even the Salmon River of New York state does not compare to the Russian. A day trip in late September can be good on them but during salmon season I don't even think on them. A person would be better off tying flies at home rather than fishing the Russian. When it gets to the point when everywhere is like these crowded places at least I'll have my memories.

For those who have never seen what we are talking about or the circus that takes place at rivers like the Buskin over on Kodiak Island it is not quite the view you may have about fishing Alaska. If someone came to fish with me they would find that they had never heard of the places I would take them. The road system streams and rivers here take "Combat Fishing" to a whole new level because many of the combatants are actually armed also.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

I know it Ard, when I was a kid I would head down there with family friends. When I was living out in the bush I got really spoiled with having exponentially more fish and all to myself.
    I got talked into heading down my first season living back in Anchorage. I managed 3 fish and 4 near fist fights in less than 2 hours. I did go back but hiked about 4 miles to the falls area and fished on the upper line with a little more sanity but it was nothing like fishing on the Newhalen, Kanektok, Togiak, Nushagak, Wood, Naknek, Alagnak, or Kvichak. I love those Bristol Bay Rivers.....

Various pics but some good examples I could find through a google search...

You probably cant tell, but probably half of those folks are packing large revolvers or 12gauges. Also keep in mind this area is "fly fishing only" meaning most folks are throwing bucktail streamers with spinning gear.

Blog Entries

Those pics are even worse than Yellowstone on opening day. I'm all for sharing water but if it comes to that every where I'll stay home.
    Davo
    My worst day on the water beats my best day anywhere else hands down!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast